“Felt a Little Ripped Off”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glenwood Springs
Glenwood Canyon Resort
Austin, Texas
“Felt a Little Ripped Off”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Months ago I spoke with a very friendly person over the phone as we had to book in somewhere as the place our event was going was full. The website looked good and we booked a large family cabin. It was a bit pricey, but it's Colorado on Labor Day, so we figured oh well. When we arrived, we noticed that all of the campsites and cabins were very close together, but our larger cabin (it was a new doublewide basically) had a little more breathing room. Would not have wanted to camp there as there was a train that came by probably 6-8 times a day and blew it's horn (and in the night). Check in person was not familiar with customer service and gave me a list of rules like I was a 14 year old. asked if the list of rules was in the cabin, they said no. Asked for a copy so I could be sure to follow-no. Fines for lost keys, late check, were in the $100+!! Didn't set a stellar mood. The place itself was nice enough. Had most of what you needed (full kitchen, bathrooms, lovely view) just when looking at the bottom line and how rudely the check in folks were (my husband tried to make a copy of a map and then said they were too busy) I felt like I was really getting ripped off.
On a GOOD note, the little bar/restaurant was kind of cool to have. Debbie the bartender and Kevin, who I think managed the whole area (pity he's not at the front desk) were absolutely friendly, helpful, and made up for some of the negative. Not sure if I would go back though. I think I would opt for something in Glenwood Springs proper so one could walk to things, etc. And maybe they'd be happy to have me there. Guys, work on that service, seriously.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank barbsmb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Glenwood Canyon Resort was perfect. We went up to do some hiking and rafting and couldnt have asked for more. First off the deluxe cabin was an amazing value. Very spacious, clean and had everything you could need. The location was awesome as well. Only a few miles from hanging lake trail and just a couple minute drive into town and the hot springs. Would recommend this any day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sturgis, South Dakota
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Compared with other RV parks/campgrounds we've stayed at, this one is just okay. The roads are gravel and there isn't any grass on any of the spaces, just rocks - and there aren't any fire pits. I think the best spots are down by the river, but there aren't full hook-ups for RVs. Yes, the trains are loud and made a wierd squealing sound (maybe the brakes?). We also agree with other reviews about the goofy set-ups with the sewer at the front and electric in the back - kind of frustrating. And we really didn't see too many people walking around (besides the specific activities) which was kind of wierd.

However, the location is nice because it is right off the interstate and close to the city of Glenwood Springs which was convenient. Also Glenwood Canyon is absolutely amazing and one of the most spectacularly scenic places we've experienced. Wow!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed August 17, 2012

For a Class A RV this is no place to go. Trailer Life needs to get a life as they overrate it. Unfriendly - we arrived at 1:55 and were told we could not enter until 2:00. We were blown off when we complained about the poor internet. Sites are unlevel, dirty, noisy, crowded and sewer connections remote. Save yourself the trouble and go elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Thomas K
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed here for a little family vacation, even though we live about 1 hour away. I tell you- after two full days, my kids didn't want to leave! The activities at this resort are plentiful and fun. Be cautious though, they can be strict on zip line weight requirements. However, the activities check-in lady was the nicest, most helpful person and got us taken care of quickly and effectively. We did have a minor problem with our RV, but that was taken care of in a quick, efficient manner. The staff was so friendly, and the grounds are beautiful. The bar and grill seemed to be closed off to the public, so it was never busy and the food was delicious! We will definitely stay here again!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Staying in a tent, camper cabin or other cabin at the Glenwood Canyon Resort, you will be surrounded by the beauty of the area! We stayed in a camper cabin for 3 nights. It was a great location to enjoy the hiking and water sports of the area, but also close enough to town to head in for lunch or dinner. We'd love to go again!

It would be helpful for the staff to place several hooks in the camper cabins to allow guests to hang items instead of just using the floor.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lonetree, Colorado, United States
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Great location, but that's about it. Overpriced, loud trains, cramped spaces, no pull throughs, no fire rings unless you are by the river. Bring about 30 feet of sewer line because the sewer hookups are at the curb at the very front of the site - about 50 feet from the electric at the back. After paying over $100 for my children to go across the river and back on their zip line, I was reprimanded for taking pictures of my own kids, even though I left the zip line facility and found a spot along the river to take my pictures. When they saw me on the river bank taking pictures they chased me like I was some kind of criminal, and falsely accused me of shouting profanities. Ultimately, I guess they have a right to set their own rules, just like I have a right to share my opinions on the Internet and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family