“Fantastic!”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Cooper
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Boyfriend & I went here for dinner for his birthday on whim! We were staying at Hotel Colorado, and this is just a short walk away. As soon as we walked in we were impressed by the decor, very sharp & modern!

Food:
I ordered the special, homemade sausage stuffed quail with gnocchi & golden raisins. I've never had quail, but that was some fantastic quail! For dessert I had the carrot cake beignets, which were so rich & delicious!
Boyfriend ordered the lobster bisque to start, which was amazing. For dinner he had the pork shoulder, which was amazingly tender and delicious. For dessert he had the chocolate peanut butter pie...to die for! The peanut butter creme was so smooth, rich, & perfect!

To top it all off, we shared a bottle malbec that we had never had...I can't remember the name, but it wasn't overly "Merlot-esque" which is always a fear with a malbec.

Service was great, our waitress was very attentive! I think it was the owner who poured our first glass of wine, which is always a nice touch! We live 3 hours away from Glenwood Springs, but we will back to dine at the Pullman!

Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

We loved the exotic menu. Our server was helpful and very knowledgable. Not only is the food fun and delicious it's an adventure. The Pullman has a great industrial atmosphere the exposed brick is eye candy ;). The sound is well controlled. Very romantic and fun. Highly recommended for dates/couples. If you have kids get a sitter so you can really enjoy the environment and menu.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We went to the Pullman on a Wednesday night about 6:30. Parking in the area is very limited, most of it parallel parking spaces. The atmosphere was great - an old building that was warm - we sat by the windows and it was December. Some of us had a view of the Hotel Colorado dressed with holiday lights. We were a group of five. We were seated promptly and got a cocktail quickly - three of us had a glass of sparkling wine; one red wine. The sparkling wine was great, generous portion and $7 a glass! Between us we had the shrimp tempura appetizer, the Scottish Salmon special, a turkey Cobb salad, tabbouleh salad and a grass fed burger. Everyone's food was very tasty, the portions were generous and some us couldn't finish. The sourdough bread that they serve is yummy...as a result, we had no room for dessert. All in all, a very good dinner...there were many menu items that we intend to try the next time we are back in town. And the service was great...they brought extra bread (yeah!) and were attentive.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

It's my understanding that this is a favorite spot for locals. We went with a group (including locals) and had a great dining experience. The service was slow, especially drink service, but we were with a group catching up on our lives so it wasn't too much of a problem, and the food certainly made up for it...my husband and I shared kale salad, autumn vegetable cianfotta, and eggplant cannelloni...all was fantastic! The menu had some interesting pairings and others in the group were equally pleased with their offerings.

If you're in a hurry, I'd pass this by because the service was slow...but if you're in for some good company, good food, and good drinks check it out!

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stopped by the Pullman on a Wed night to have dessert after having delicious prime rib at a neighboring restaurant on the west end of the same street. I was so enamoured with the delicious potential of the desserts, noticing the maple and rosemary ice creams that were featured on the dessert menu with the bread pudding and apple crisp selections. It was not overly crowded, but a bit noisy because of the high ceilings. We were seated quickly and ordered the aforementioned bread pudding and apple crisp.

When the desserts came, the bread pudding was beautifully plated...you can't do much to artfully plate a ramekin of apple cobbler with a diminutive dollop of lovely, lovely rosemary ice cream. If I were rating these desserts on the quality and taste of the ice creams I would give them FIVE stars, but the small and lovely servings of maple and rosemary ice creams were only superlative garnishes for really average to poor desserts.

The apple crisp was something that I could have made at home...but at home I would have amped up the dish with more earthy, autumnal spices...lots of nutmeg, cardamom, more cinnamon, etc. The bread pudding was, for the lack of a better word, tasteless...it really lacked a sweet, custardy flavor; it tasted like there was no sugar in it and was an unappetizing grayish color. The burnt caramel sauce was truly very bitter...I know that it is supposed to be that way, but if there had been a flavorful, sweet bread pudding to counteract the bitter sauce, it might have redeemed the dessert. The two desserts and one coffee with tip cost about $22 dollars...definitely not worth it.

Despite the appealing menu options for creative appetizers and entrees, I am not inclined to return to the Pullman as I don't want to be sorely disappointed again. If we had enjoyed killer desserts, I would have been there for lunch and dinner the next day...but now I have lost interest for this establishment. Perhaps my tastes are not sophisticated enough for this cuisine...if that is the case, that is okay. I will stick to Mabel's prime rib at the Riveria (really quite good with rosemary au jus) and make my own gourmet ice creams at home.

Mark F, Manager at The Pullman, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

WomanOfthePlains,

Our desserts are usually loved by our patrons, so I am sorry they didn't meet up to your expectations. The crumble is my daughters favorite so I would be hard pressed to change that recipe. The good news is our menu offerings change regularly and I am sure if you give them another chance you would something to your liking.

I would agree that there are many delicious restaurants in Glenwood Springs, and if you would like our ice cream recipe please let me know.

Rick