“Horseback riding on a real ranch”

High Canyon Adventures
Reviewed June 22, 2012

My family and I arrived for a horseback ride on the Bair Ranch. It is a working rance, a lovely spread across the Colorado River from the Interstate. We rode up into the canyon behind the ranch. It was a little more than tail to nose walking, as we trotted a bit, and could spread out in the meadows. We saw a cow elk at the lake at the "top" of our trip. Two hours are just about right for persons unaccustomed to a saddle! The wrangler was friendly but complained about his ailments a bit much. We saw the cabins where you would stay. They are small but in a lovely meadow at the edge of aspen forest, sure to be quiet. We were told you can have weddings there, and there was a hunters' cabin which must be a bunk room, in another location.

1  Thank lspwroo

Reviewed August 13, 2011

We were looking to do an ATV ride while we were in Glenwood- we just so happen to find this ranch. it is absolutely breathtaking!!! And I love the fact that it's family owned and run. The ATV tour was so beautiful!!! We can't wait to come back!!!

2  Thank Flopthis25
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Wow. This was an amazing adventure. Although normally the ATVing is in groups, we were the only ones signed up, so one of the ranch owners took us out on the tour. The ATV was in good shape and easy to use (I'm pretty little and not super strong). The trails were just unbelievable, we rode up the mountains and the views were just stunning. We saw mule deer and got to see a working ranch. We felt very much a part of the family while we were there. A huge thunder storm moved in (not uncommon in July) and we made it to the dining area just in time. The steaks were phenomenal, perfectly seasoned and cooked. And sitting under the pavilion and watching the storm from up on the mountain was pretty cool.

All in an all, I'd highly recommend this activity, it was fun, exciting, and delicious.

4  Thank IsabelMarieClaire
Reviewed July 11, 2011

My wife and I along with another friend are recent transplant to the region and decided to take a two hour trail ride and a have a chuckwagon dinner after an afternoon attending an art festival in Vail. When we got to the ranch we were greeted by the open air truck at the gates of the ranch, oh did I mention there was a train idling next to the gate when we arrived? Trippy! We had a great conversation and a ride up to the corals and wranglers room, right off the bat you knew if you were open to honest conversation, you were part of the ranch, treated like family. After a quick video and riding instruction (I am a former mounted police officer) the trail hand "Jason" joined us and reaffirmed that everyone was comfortable with their mount and how to control their horse and off we went. The ride was amazing and intimate and the vistas and views on the trail up the mountain was completely void of modern views. You were at a place where time reversed and if you squinted real hard you could see 1880 looking back at you. Jason the trail boss was a fine young man and our conversation could have been communicated 150 years prior. Hunting, fishing, cattle wrangling and moon light ladies, literally the most relaxed I have been in months. Upon arrival at the top of the mountain Amist the mountain cabin bunk houses and corals we met the chuckwagon that filled the air with the smells of cooking beans and sizzling steaks. A fine meal was had by all ( even a healthy choice for my dieting bride ) we were left to digest alone as the family (ranch owners) bid us a happy goodbye and left us to explore the the mountain top for a bit of down time before a ride back down. After a well appreciated rest we saddled up again as Jason galloped up True Grit style and we enjoyed a great comfortable ride back to the base of the mountain and a relaxed untacking of the horses before we were brought back down to 2011 and our vehicle at the gate with a very gracious staff inviting us back.
If I get the hankering to leave the real world behind and have the most relaxing ride and a great time with people that make you feel like part of the family, I'll be back at "High Canyon Adventures" and Bair Ranch!

3  Thank TreasureDiver1
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Had a good horse riding experience here. The ranch is set in the canyon and the rides go up the mountain. Its beautiful unspoilt country with incredible views. We are experienced riders and the guide was laid back and allowed us to trot a bit. Horses were good and well trained, but not that well groomed.
The facilities on the ground were a bit poor, particularly the "out-house" bathroom which was pretty awful.

2  Thank nickjuk