“OK stay but don't expect much for Marriott Reward members”

Residence Inn Glenwood Springs
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
Denver, Colorado
“OK stay but don't expect much for Marriott Reward members”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

I've stayed at this place on January 1st to the 3rd. I stay at a lot of Marriott properties all over the country and I'm a Platinum Elite Marriott Rewards member. The time before this I used Marriott points to stay at this hotel and the hotel upgraded me when I made the reservation. This time no such luck and the only room type they would let me use points for was a studio room. I have two little kids and studio is not my any means optimal. Having a 1 or 2 bedroom is great. My previous stay I was upgrade to a 2 bedroom. This time I was told as a Platinum member I would be upgrade at check in if they had availability.

After a long snowy day getting to Glenwood Springs my family and I arrived. When checking in I ask for an upgrade to a 2 bedroom. I was told that they don't upgrade people. Since I was told while making the reservation that I would be upgraded if a room was available I said that was unacceptable and again asked if they had a 2 bedroom available. I was again told that they can't do that. I asked them to check with the manager. The desk clerk walked off to speak with the manager and when she got back I was told they don't have any 2 bedroom rooms available. I ask her why then would she have even checked if none were available. She did not answer and proceed to check us in. I then asked for a 1 bedroom since when making the reservation only a studio was available with Marriott points. She said she would see and typed away on her keyboard. She then told me that she could not upgrade me to a 1 bedroom. I was livid.
I again said that was unacceptable because she had already indicated they did have 1 bedrooms rooms. I again asked to speak to a manager. She walks off and sends over a supervisor, not the manger. As calmly as I could, I explained to the supervisor that I felt like I was being lied too, and why I felt that way.

The supervisor for her credit was very nice and upgraded us to a 1 bedroom without issue.
As I mentioned I stay at Marriott all over and never have even had to ask to be upgraded, here I was lied too about upgrades being available. I have no plans to stay at this property again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Jason K, General Manager at Residence Inn Glenwood Springs, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear COsales roadwarrior,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I want to personally apologize for the upgrade confusion. As a Platinum Member you are given preference for upgrades day of arrival. As the New Year's Day was very busy and the hotel was sold out, those upgrades were greatly limited. I was glad to hear that our supervisor Stephanie was able to get your family booked in our One Bedroom Suite. Again sorry for the confusion and hope to accommodate you and the family in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Valencia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

The hotel and 2 bedroom suites are designed nicely. The beds comfy with lots of pillows. 2 separate baths and a kitchen. The bad: the pull-out beds are actually inverted. We saw two of them and they were both the same! Your feet are above your head! Management is aware of this and yet they don't inform you, nor do they plan to do anything about it. We paid the extra for this room as we were traveling with our children and the 9 year old actually had to sleep backwards on the bed to make it right, which made him very uncomfortable. The management had a variety of explanations and helpful tips, like propping up pillows to make it level. We paid $300 for this configuration of a room for a reason. Very disappointing the bed was unusable. Additionally, they did not staff up for the holiday season, nor did they adjust their breakfast needs for the holiday time. The breakfast was not replenished when things were gone, nor was there adequate seating. My family propped themselves up on a wall and ate on their laps until a table came open. The pool is indoors and was nice. About the same size as our backyard pool and jacuzzi. Watch the tile, it is VERY slippery and VERY dangerous when wet. I am surprised at having to review a Marriott with such low scores. With a few mindful changes, this could be a really nice vacation stay!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sojournarita
Jason K, General Manager at Residence Inn Glenwood Springs, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Sojournarita,

First off let me apologize for your poor experience at the Residence Inn by Marriott. As you can see by our overall ranking and past reviews this type of experience is very rare. I have met with our Engineering team to devise a plan to elimanate any non-standard pullout sofa beds. I hope the rebates and puchase of Marriott Reward points allows us another opportunity to accommodate you and your family.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Our 2br unit had spacious bedrooms and adequate living/dining/kitchen area. Full size fridge , compact dishwasher and 2 element cooktop were sufficient for most meals. Beds were somewhat soft, causing some back pain. Overall typical Residence Inn quality and amenities. Nearby shopping is walkable and convenient.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear must_travel_soon,

All of us at the Residence Inn want to Thank You for taking the time to review our hotel. We strive to be the best and were extremely pleased to get an excellent rating. He hope to have you and your family back at the hotel in the near future!

Lafayette, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

First off...GREAT room rate, which is only $30 more than the Comfort Inn, we were able to get a "studio" room with a complete kitchenette. The hotels overall interior design and color pallet is impressive. The room has a first-rate well thought out layout which is very comfortable for our family of three and could accommodate a fourth. The staff is incredibly friendly, hospitable with the utmost professionalism. The biggest bonus we found, accidentally, every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday eve they furnish guests with a evening social hour complete with food and beer, that's correct...free beer! We enjoyed our stay so much we are staying an extra day.
Our seven old daughter said, "I can get used to this!"
Which we replied - "Yes we could - HA!"

Room Tip: The Studio, King size bed with couch fold out could accommodate a family of four - very comfortable...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Double-KS,

Thank you for the wonderful review. It was great to hear that the overall value of our hotel exceeded expectations. Come back soon and see us again!

St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Went to Glenwood to see family and do some skiing. Great place and good rate. The breakfast lady did not have it together though. Seems it was a challenge to have breakfast ready at 6:30.
The place is next to a shopping center with a target, Petco, Starbucks and a couple of restaurants

Stayed January 2014
Dear Vawterjc,

Thank you for the high rating and letting us know about your experience. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the great skiing season we are having. Our team will ensure to make the necessary improvements to the breakfast experience. Hope to see you back soon!

Farmington Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed here for six nights over our Christmas vacation and really enjoyed the experience. The staff were especially friendly and helpful, particularly Dave on the front desk, who also provided us with a number of local recommendations including dining options in the area. Our suit was very roomy, more like an efficiency apartment really, with a little kitchen and living room area which made our extended stay far more pleasant. We especially liked their indoor pool area because they don’t use the harsh chemicals that many places use now and the view of the mountains out of the picture windows was so beautiful while using the hot tub. The hotel also has a very nice coin laundry next to the pool which made that task very simple. I’d also rate their breakfast and gym room as above average. The hotel was spotlessly clean, next to a little mall and only a moments’ drive away from downtown Glenwood Springs. The only negative I can think of was that the bed was a little too firm for me. We’ve stayed at other places in the area before but we will be staying here the next time we go back to the area.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the mountains
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear colormeelmo,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. All of us were very pleased to hear you enjoyed your Christmas vacation in Glenwood Springs. It was also nice to know that David ensured all your needs were met. Best wishes for a happy and safe 2014!

Lakewood, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

Our Girl Scouts getaway was enhanced by perfect lodging at the Residence Inn in Glenwood Springs on a very cold weekend in December 2013. Six teens shared a 2-bedroom suite and 2 adults shared a studio on the 4th floor. Views are good from either side of the hotel. Décor throughout the hotel was inviting.
Barbara Jean was helpful with our reservations and was genuine and cheerful every time we re-connected throughout the weekend! Everyone on the staff was busy, yet immediately responsive and friendly. Everything was clean. Bathrooms were spotless. Kitchen counters, stovetop, oven (not avail. in studio), microwave, full size refrigerator, dishwasher, place settings (for 4 in studio, 6 in suite), cooking utensils, and pots also appeared as clean as they could get. When we couldn't find a cookie sheet in the room, we borrowed one from the front desk. The nice fella (I'm sorry I don't know your name) had it ready for us, already covered in aluminum foil - to make the clean up so easy.
The American-style breakfast buffet was plentiful, tasty, and reasonably fresh. I appreciated the more healthy options while the girls loved having the waffles with a variety of toppings. I loved all the seating options around the lobby area. Again, everything was clean. I would suggest providing a sink area for guests to get water to drink and to drain liquids from trash before throwing it away. Also, it would be nice if you could avoid styrofoam and promote recycling (in the lobby and in the suites).
The pool/hot tub room and workout room were spacious, clean, and bright, and open long hours (pool 'til 11, workout room 24/7). (So glad that one of our adult chaperones is a certified life guard.) We used them Friday night after our 3+ hour drive from Denver. When we had spent early Saturday afternoon at the Hot Springs Pool, we got our hands stamped so we could return after dinner. However, the girls all preferred to swim at the hotel pool Saturday night. On Sunday, since our checkout was not until noon, we were able to get another swim in at the hotel pool. There was plenty of seating around the pool with enough distance to avoid splashing. The outdoor patio looked lovely, but with 1 foot of snow and high temperatures in the single digits, we did not spend time outside. One of our girls took advantage of the patio near the pool, though. She braved sitting in a chair full of snow before jumping back into the pool. Fun!
We highly recommend this Residence Inn for winter “camping” when temperatures make indoor cooking necessary and indoor swimming preferable to hiking.
Thank you, Jason. Please share our appreciation with everyone on your staff.

Room Tip: North side of hotel looks toward Colorado River. Both sides of hotel have nice views of hills around...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Jason K, General Manager at Residence Inn Glenwood Springs, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear cricketco,

All of us at the Residence Inn are so happy that the Girl Scouts enjoyed their weekend in Glenwood Springs! It was our pleasure to host your wonderful group. We look forward to accommodating everyone in the near future!. Have a wonderful holiday season.