“Full of History”

Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
Orpington, United Kingdom
“Full of History”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Strange hotel with a lot of history. Built in the 1890s and has a fantastic feel to it. The entrance and lounge/lobby are really impressive.However be warned that the rooms are a little old fashioned and could do with a refurb. Nearly all the staff were helpful and attentive. Do not eat in the hotel as the restaurant is poor. Nice and comfortable bar area. Good value.

Room Tip: Room 202 is huge and is in fact three rooms but together.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Devereux1893, Front Office Manager at Hotel Colorado, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience staying at the Hotel Colorado. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed our grand lobby as well as the Polo Lounge. We apologize that you did not enjoy the food in the restaurant as this is not a common complaint from our guests. Please contact me directly at the hotel to further discuss your experience. We would appreciate a second chance if you ever find yourself in the Glenwood Springs area. We truly appreciate you staying with us, as well as your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed March 5, 2013

At first we were not to sure we had chosen correctly staying at this hotel. It was delightful, the food ,wonderful, people nice. The rooms are original, beds good. There are radiators in the rooms, which you must turn on for heat, they hiss and moan, so at first you wonder if this hotel is haunted,the heat poured out so we turned the radiators off and opened the window, and sleeping was GREAT! In the morning we went to the hot springs across the street. wonderful. I would definitely stay there again. Oh and they are dog friendly.

Room Tip: Not sure! We had a good view of the hot springs
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Sundae01Michigan,

We are extremely happy to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us. We are grateful for the warm praises in regards to our customer service, food and accommodations. It is true that the beds are very comfy! Thank you for sharing your experience, and we look forward to accommodating you the next time you are in Glenwood Springs.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Four of us went up on the train for the weekend. We arrived before check in time but the hotel sent a van and let us check in early.
Kimberly Jordan is the best person at check in that I have experience in all my travels.
She even called after we were in the rooms to make sure everything was perfect. Her suggestions for meals were excellent. We had wonderful coffee and treats at Legends
and superb food in the bar.
We 4 have enjoyed many birthday meals together but this was our first trip and Hotel Colorado
will definitely be our destination in the future.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Jean S,

Your kind praises are truly appreciated. We are so thrilled to know that your “Ladies Weekend” was filled with so much fun. Thank you so much for sharing your experience at our venerable hotel, and we look forward to seeing you on your next “Ladies Weekend.” We hope you come back soon because the four of you were absolutely fantastic!
Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
Reviewed March 1, 2013

The Hotel Colorado was the best place we stayed on our recent ski trip to Colorado.

The ambiance of this turn of the century hotel (1900) is beyond compare. The hotel has managed to retain much of the original decoration of this world famous place, and retains an elegance that is rarely found in an affordable hotel.

The hotel is well suited for meetings and gatherings with affordable catering, restaurant, bar, coffee and gift shops, as well as generous suites and meeting or event rooms. This would be a classic place to have a wedding or anniversary party. The bell tower suites on the top floor have magnificent views. Family suites on the first floor can handle the crowd.

The heating is presently used with old fashioned steam radiators - we LOVE that, again, contributing to the classic era of American hotels, with their inherent "on-or-off" temperature control (turn valve off if too hot, or on if too cold), and clanking-in-the-night sounds in the winter. That might rattle someone accustomed to a remote control thermostat... Literally!

We slept better here in serene peace and quiet than any hotel that I can remember in a long time. Without a pool or playground this establishment does not cater to children, although they are certainly made to feel welcome!

Staff was excellent, except the director of housekeeping who got very huffy with us when we came into the housekeeping room in the basement through a large open door, interrupting the crews lunch break. Ooppss.... sorry.

GREAT hotel for poking around though and the hotel engineer made up for curt treatment by housekeeping to happily answer questions about the history of the place, and even showed us where the old water fountain compression tank was "permanently located", with the building constructed around it. (That fountain is no longer is use, but used to shoot up hundreds of feet in the air as a novelty attraction for guests arriving on the train, just across the river in front, like a geyser, welcoming them to "Yampah Hot Springs", now Glenwood Hot Springs.)

This hotel is a very short walk to the hotsprings, and is far superior to the corporate boxes recently put up as the hotsprings resort hotel accommodations. Well worth the extra five minute walk! It is close to an excellent brewpub restaurant and all downtown has to offer.

Legend has it this 120 year old hotel as a number of permanent resident ethereal guests, but we only encountered the holy spirit there during our visit! The Gideons bibles open to Psalms gave testament to that. Amen

Room Tip: "Add a tip to help travelers choose a good room" Hmm.. Tip the clerk checking you in? I...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank RoamerRandy
Devereux1893, Front Office Manager at Hotel Colorado, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience on trip advisor. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the historical and magical ambiance of our venerable hotel. It sounds as though you were able to experience and delight in every inch of the hotel as there is much to explore here. We strive to attain customer service that is above reproach; and we deeply apologize for the incident you encountered with our housekeeper. However, we are glad that our engineering department was able to show you some of our “off limits” sections of the hotel. We truly appreciate your positive comments and look forward to seeing you during your next visit to Colorado.
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed here over Valentine’s Day weekend and the experience was wonderful. The food at Baron’s restaurant was delicious, the drinks at the Polo Lounge were great, Legend’s Coffee Bar was a Must Have every morning and the folks at the front desk were amazing!
I could go on and on about the Customer Service at the Hotel Colorado…. Everyone was wonderful and very helpful. Brian the shuttle driver picked us up at the Amtrak station and let us know if we needed a ride anywhere, he would be happy to help. Actually, every time Brian saw us, he would ask if we needed him for anything. He always looked super busy and running around taking care of the guest (several conventions were going on at the same time we were there and it was BUSY) but he always had a smile and offer for help no matter how busy he looked. The folks at the front desk were also very busy, but they seemed to have our complete attention any time we needed anything. Exceptional Service.
In fact, my Sister came for the day from Colorado Springs (for the Hot Springs), but was caught in a nasty storm in the mountain pass, so we ask if she could stay in our room for the night (I didn’t want her to drive back through the pass with a snowstorm that night…) and the Hotel Manager was very accommodating and had a bed sent up to our room for the night. The next morning while checking out, they told us that they would “take care” of the extra person charge for us! We would have paid (of course) but since we explained the reasons for my sister staying, they let her stay for free. Super sweet people at the front desk…and there was always a smile.
Since this Hotel is very old, there are a few cosmetic issues that might bother some people. I really liked the feel of this historic hotel and sure, some of the chairs have seen better days and some of the wood might be scuffed up a bit, but really, it’s just cosmetic. I thought everything was very clean and smelled nice. The thick bath towels were clean and white, the view was nice, the bed was comfortable and the rooms were quiet. I mean, what else do you want from a hotel?
Now the Coffee, Drinks and Food part: First, bring lots of money! Everything is pretty expensive. I would have liked to see a smaller price for some items. (Baron’s for breakfast: $6.00 for a ½ order of biscuits & gravy… which was ONE biscuit. A total rip off.)
The Coffee Bar called Legend’s has a sweet lady running it and she makes a great cup of coffee. She remembers exactly what you ordered from the day before and will make a carbon copy of it. Pretty impressive. I wished I bought some of the soap in the gift shop, but by the time I went back, they were closed for the night. A late night cup of coffee would have been nice, but oh well.
The Polo Lounge was very comfortable and a nice way to pass the time before dinner seating. The bartenders make the weirdest Old Fashion, but it was drinkable. I think I’ll just stick with the easy drinks, so there won’t be any embarrassments for the bartender not knowing exactly what goes in drinks (frankly, they should know…) But everyone had a nice smile and a great personality, and that goes a long way in the bartending business.
Baron’s Restaurant had a very nice Valentine’s Day Dinner with four delicious courses. It was a special day and we wanted a very special meal to celebrate our romantic vacation and we certainly got what we wanted. The courses were: A lovely salad, a cold fruit sorbet, Prime fillets with shrimp scampi and roasted potatoes and a dessert of cream filled puff pastry with chocolate drizzle and strawberries. Everything tasted outstanding and the service was great. Roses for the holiday were included with the meal for the ladies. (The waiter told me that, since we were the last people to eat….all the roses have been all given out. I guess the look on my sad face was enough for him to make an extra trip to find me a rose. He was very sweet to get me one). I was very pleased to get my rose for Valentine’s Day!
There was only one thing that I would like to put my two cents in…. “The Dog Friendly Hotel”. I like dogs (more of a cat person though….) but I would “clean up” after my dog if I was staying anywhere. And if the Hotel knows they have dogs staying there, they should make more of an effort to keep the grounds free and clear of droppings. They have the little bags out in the courtyard for the droppings, but some people don’t care. This was the ONLY trouble we had all weekend. Stepping in dog poop. Twice. Just walking around the courtyard and looking at the fish pond. Yes, twice. I was totally on the lookout, but somehow….a ninja dog perhaps....we got poop on our shoes. The first time my husband walked up to our room and sat down on the bed and smeared the poop everywhere. I was hoping for mud, but NO, not mud. After that, we were VERY careful of where we stepped. But somehow….again….the ninja dog poop. We tracked it all over the Hotel before we knew what happened. I felt bad…..but really!? Who doesn’t clean up after their dog?! Frankly, I would like to see the “Dog Friendly Hotel” thing go away. Go camping if you want to take your dog on a trip. Not a nice Hotel over a romantic holiday weekend. And then there are the allergies. Not everyone likes your dog and some people can’t breathe because of your dog. DON’T TAKE YOUR DOG PLEASE.
Over all, the experience was wonderful and I will be staying at the Hotel Colorado again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Your extremely kind praises are very much appreciated. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your Valentine’s weekend here. Thank you for the kind compliments regarding the staff and our hospitality. We are happy that you Valentine’s Day dinner was exceptional, as well as your coffee in Legends. As we appreciate all of our guests’ opinions, your comments will enable the Hotel to continue to improve. The next time you come to stay we will make sure you get some of the lovely soap from the gift shop Legends. See you next time.
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed February 27, 2013

this hotel should be avoided. The place is very over priced tourist trap. the beds and furniture were junk. all the chairs in our room had severely torn cushions. Our local thrift store has better furniture . WiFi was non existent. hot water never happened in the shower. room was filthily.

everything about this hotel is junk. It's hard not to feel ripped off. While I understand the hotel is old, the lobby/downstairs area is ok, the $150 per night for such awful rooms and service was more like highway robbery. We left after one night and stayed at the hotel Denver. which is just as old, but totally redone into an excellent modern hotel. fantastic staff, very nice rooms and less expensive.

Room Tip: stay someplace else.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jcluddite
We are truly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that your room was not to your liking. If you would like to discuss the issues in more detail, please contact me directly at the hotel at your convenience.

Travelers are raving about these Glenwood Springs hotels

colorado
Reviewed February 26, 2013

arrived by amtrak from granby colorado with my wife and a friend from n.j. in a snow storm.up early the next morning to walk around town in the snow,we sat in the lobby in front of the large fireplace. all the lights went out,we were in the dark. a young female employee came by with a flash light and asked us if we wanted a coffee.she went to the kitchen in the dark and came back with the coffee and pastry. now that was service over an above.went for our walk in the snow and came back for a great breakfast in the dining room. we love this place,the beds are great,the service is superb and the price is right. we will be back time and time again.---- ROY the king

Room Tip: get a room overlooking the pool and town
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
halleygirl,

First of all, we are so delighted that you had such a fabulous stay with us. Secondly, we sincerely appreciate all the wonderful compliments on our service, food, value and accommodations. We do apologize for the short blackout, however it seems as it was as painless as could be expected. Thank you so much for staying with us, and we look forward to accommodating you time and time again!