“Amazing Classy Historical Hotel Next To Glenwood Hotsprings”
Review of Hotel Colorado

Hotel Colorado
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
Reviewed March 1, 2013

The Hotel Colorado was the best place we stayed on our recent ski trip to Colorado.

The ambiance of this turn of the century hotel (1900) is beyond compare. The hotel has managed to retain much of the original decoration of this world famous place, and retains an elegance that is rarely found in an affordable hotel.

The hotel is well suited for meetings and gatherings with affordable catering, restaurant, bar, coffee and gift shops, as well as generous suites and meeting or event rooms. This would be a classic place to have a wedding or anniversary party. The bell tower suites on the top floor have magnificent views. Family suites on the first floor can handle the crowd.

The heating is presently used with old fashioned steam radiators - we LOVE that, again, contributing to the classic era of American hotels, with their inherent "on-or-off" temperature control (turn valve off if too hot, or on if too cold), and clanking-in-the-night sounds in the winter. That might rattle someone accustomed to a remote control thermostat... Literally!

We slept better here in serene peace and quiet than any hotel that I can remember in a long time. Without a pool or playground this establishment does not cater to children, although they are certainly made to feel welcome!

Staff was excellent, except the director of housekeeping who got very huffy with us when we came into the housekeeping room in the basement through a large open door, interrupting the crews lunch break. Ooppss.... sorry.

GREAT hotel for poking around though and the hotel engineer made up for curt treatment by housekeeping to happily answer questions about the history of the place, and even showed us where the old water fountain compression tank was "permanently located", with the building constructed around it. (That fountain is no longer is use, but used to shoot up hundreds of feet in the air as a novelty attraction for guests arriving on the train, just across the river in front, like a geyser, welcoming them to "Yampah Hot Springs", now Glenwood Hot Springs.)

This hotel is a very short walk to the hotsprings, and is far superior to the corporate boxes recently put up as the hotsprings resort hotel accommodations. Well worth the extra five minute walk! It is close to an excellent brewpub restaurant and all downtown has to offer.

Legend has it this 120 year old hotel as a number of permanent resident ethereal guests, but we only encountered the holy spirit there during our visit! The Gideons bibles open to Psalms gave testament to that. Amen

Room Tip: "Add a tip to help travelers choose a good room" Hmm.. Tip the clerk checking you in? I...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank RoamerRandy
Devereux1893, Front Office Manager at Hotel Colorado, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience on trip advisor. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the historical and magical ambiance of our venerable hotel. It sounds as though you were able to experience and delight in every inch of the hotel as there is much to explore here. We strive to attain customer service that is above reproach; and we deeply apologize for the incident you encountered with our housekeeper. However, we are glad that our engineering department was able to show you some of our “off limits” sections of the hotel. We truly appreciate your positive comments and look forward to seeing you during your next visit to Colorado.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,124)

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed here over Valentine’s Day weekend and the experience was wonderful. The food at Baron’s restaurant was delicious, the drinks at the Polo Lounge were great, Legend’s Coffee Bar was a Must Have every morning and the folks at the front desk were amazing!
I could go on and on about the Customer Service at the Hotel Colorado…. Everyone was wonderful and very helpful. Brian the shuttle driver picked us up at the Amtrak station and let us know if we needed a ride anywhere, he would be happy to help. Actually, every time Brian saw us, he would ask if we needed him for anything. He always looked super busy and running around taking care of the guest (several conventions were going on at the same time we were there and it was BUSY) but he always had a smile and offer for help no matter how busy he looked. The folks at the front desk were also very busy, but they seemed to have our complete attention any time we needed anything. Exceptional Service.
In fact, my Sister came for the day from Colorado Springs (for the Hot Springs), but was caught in a nasty storm in the mountain pass, so we ask if she could stay in our room for the night (I didn’t want her to drive back through the pass with a snowstorm that night…) and the Hotel Manager was very accommodating and had a bed sent up to our room for the night. The next morning while checking out, they told us that they would “take care” of the extra person charge for us! We would have paid (of course) but since we explained the reasons for my sister staying, they let her stay for free. Super sweet people at the front desk…and there was always a smile.
Since this Hotel is very old, there are a few cosmetic issues that might bother some people. I really liked the feel of this historic hotel and sure, some of the chairs have seen better days and some of the wood might be scuffed up a bit, but really, it’s just cosmetic. I thought everything was very clean and smelled nice. The thick bath towels were clean and white, the view was nice, the bed was comfortable and the rooms were quiet. I mean, what else do you want from a hotel?
Now the Coffee, Drinks and Food part: First, bring lots of money! Everything is pretty expensive. I would have liked to see a smaller price for some items. (Baron’s for breakfast: $6.00 for a ½ order of biscuits & gravy… which was ONE biscuit. A total rip off.)
The Coffee Bar called Legend’s has a sweet lady running it and she makes a great cup of coffee. She remembers exactly what you ordered from the day before and will make a carbon copy of it. Pretty impressive. I wished I bought some of the soap in the gift shop, but by the time I went back, they were closed for the night. A late night cup of coffee would have been nice, but oh well.
The Polo Lounge was very comfortable and a nice way to pass the time before dinner seating. The bartenders make the weirdest Old Fashion, but it was drinkable. I think I’ll just stick with the easy drinks, so there won’t be any embarrassments for the bartender not knowing exactly what goes in drinks (frankly, they should know…) But everyone had a nice smile and a great personality, and that goes a long way in the bartending business.
Baron’s Restaurant had a very nice Valentine’s Day Dinner with four delicious courses. It was a special day and we wanted a very special meal to celebrate our romantic vacation and we certainly got what we wanted. The courses were: A lovely salad, a cold fruit sorbet, Prime fillets with shrimp scampi and roasted potatoes and a dessert of cream filled puff pastry with chocolate drizzle and strawberries. Everything tasted outstanding and the service was great. Roses for the holiday were included with the meal for the ladies. (The waiter told me that, since we were the last people to eat….all the roses have been all given out. I guess the look on my sad face was enough for him to make an extra trip to find me a rose. He was very sweet to get me one). I was very pleased to get my rose for Valentine’s Day!
There was only one thing that I would like to put my two cents in…. “The Dog Friendly Hotel”. I like dogs (more of a cat person though….) but I would “clean up” after my dog if I was staying anywhere. And if the Hotel knows they have dogs staying there, they should make more of an effort to keep the grounds free and clear of droppings. They have the little bags out in the courtyard for the droppings, but some people don’t care. This was the ONLY trouble we had all weekend. Stepping in dog poop. Twice. Just walking around the courtyard and looking at the fish pond. Yes, twice. I was totally on the lookout, but somehow….a ninja dog perhaps....we got poop on our shoes. The first time my husband walked up to our room and sat down on the bed and smeared the poop everywhere. I was hoping for mud, but NO, not mud. After that, we were VERY careful of where we stepped. But somehow….again….the ninja dog poop. We tracked it all over the Hotel before we knew what happened. I felt bad…..but really!? Who doesn’t clean up after their dog?! Frankly, I would like to see the “Dog Friendly Hotel” thing go away. Go camping if you want to take your dog on a trip. Not a nice Hotel over a romantic holiday weekend. And then there are the allergies. Not everyone likes your dog and some people can’t breathe because of your dog. DON’T TAKE YOUR DOG PLEASE.
Over all, the experience was wonderful and I will be staying at the Hotel Colorado again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Your extremely kind praises are very much appreciated. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your Valentine’s weekend here. Thank you for the kind compliments regarding the staff and our hospitality. We are happy that you Valentine’s Day dinner was exceptional, as well as your coffee in Legends. As we appreciate all of our guests’ opinions, your comments will enable the Hotel to continue to improve. The next time you come to stay we will make sure you get some of the lovely soap from the gift shop Legends. See you next time.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

this hotel should be avoided. The place is very over priced tourist trap. the beds and furniture were junk. all the chairs in our room had severely torn cushions. Our local thrift store has better furniture . WiFi was non existent. hot water never happened in the shower. room was filthily.

everything about this hotel is junk. It's hard not to feel ripped off. While I understand the hotel is old, the lobby/downstairs area is ok, the $150 per night for such awful rooms and service was more like highway robbery. We left after one night and stayed at the hotel Denver. which is just as old, but totally redone into an excellent modern hotel. fantastic staff, very nice rooms and less expensive.

Room Tip: stay someplace else.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jcluddite

We are truly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that your room was not to your liking. If you would like to discuss the issues in more detail, please contact me directly at the hotel at your convenience.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

arrived by amtrak from granby colorado with my wife and a friend from n.j. in a snow storm.up early the next morning to walk around town in the snow,we sat in the lobby in front of the large fireplace. all the lights went out,we were in the dark. a young female employee came by with a flash light and asked us if we wanted a coffee.she went to the kitchen in the dark and came back with the coffee and pastry. now that was service over an above.went for our walk in the snow and came back for a great breakfast in the dining room. we love this place,the beds are great,the service is superb and the price is right. we will be back time and time again.---- ROY the king

Room Tip: get a room overlooking the pool and town
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Devereux1893, Front Office Manager at Hotel Colorado, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

halleygirl,

First of all, we are so delighted that you had such a fabulous stay with us. Secondly, we sincerely appreciate all the wonderful compliments on our service, food, value and accommodations. We do apologize for the short blackout, however it seems as it was as painless as could be expected. Thank you so much for staying with us, and we look forward to accommodating you time and time again!

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Very plush hotel that has so much history and beauty and is very comfortable clean and has courteous staff. The parking was a bit of an issue as it is very limited and you must park around the building in tight areas or find on street parking on side streets. That was the only draw back really. We were fortunate and found a space especially since there were two weddings going on that day! The had large banquet rooms for big gatherings and receptions and the front is beautiful with flowers and tables to sit at on the grand front porch. Our room was a suite and the living room was huge with a kitchenette area. The air conditioner was minimal (preset perhaps?), however Circulation of air helped somewhat. The bathroom was huge! It was a very nice walk down to the Glenwood Hot Springs pool from the hotel. Very therapeutic and rejuvenating!!! The cost was moderate but there was such a luxuriousness to it that helped to off set it somewhat. Might go there again if in area.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room you can control the air conditioner in as it gets warm there in the spri...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have enjoyed staying here twice since New Year's eve. These rooms do have some quirks. One room had a bathroom with the sink half over the toilet so if you were a big person it might have been impossible to sit on the toilet. The room with this tiny bathroom had a huge room and a room just for the closet. The other room we stayed in had a much smaller room but a much bigger bathroom. The bathroom must have been remodeled with a new layout because the hotel did not bother to remove the old pipes. They were still sticking up thru the floor. The pipes are behind the door so you won't hurt yourself. The beds in booth rooms were very comfy and I did not hear noise from other rooms during either stay. We had room service one morning and everything was hot and yummy. We did not eat at any of the restaurants, but did have a drink in the bar and the staff was welcoming and fast. I was thrilled that the hotel had a coffee/latte shop in the hotel. I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Hotel Colorado is truly a historic landmark full of stories, pictures and memories. The hotel built in 1893 has been restored to it's old victorian charm. The floors creak a bit and it takes a while for the water to warm up but when you are staying there you know she is doing her best for you!

The rooms are cozy and comfortable and the staff is friendly and attentive. The location is ideal. WIthin steps of the famous Glenwood hot springs pool and shops and restaurants. Take time to look at the numerous photos and sit in the lobby and soak up the history. You can feel it all around you.
The expierence is enchanting. My husband and I have stayed here a few times and we enjoy returning because the minute we walk through the door we feel the welcome warmth of an old friend.

Room Tip: Highly recommend an Ambassador Suite. Smaller but affordable and gives just a little extra space to...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple