“Very Nice Stay”

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
Hayden, Colorado
“Very Nice Stay”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The rooms are certainly in need of some up dated maintenance but are still comfortable and for the price I cannot really complain. This is a very cool historical hotel and given some of the flaws mentioned in the other reviews it still is worth staying just to experience some its really cool history and old fasioned ambiance.
Staff were very nice and made you feel very welcome.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Devereux1893, Director of Sales at Hotel Colorado, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Hi Brendon42,

Thank you for staying with us becoming a part of history with the hotel colorado. We appreciate all of the kind words and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. We are in the process of having furniture and rooms renovatedin the next few months please come on back and give us a visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Vail, Colorado, United States
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We enjoyed Thanksgiving and the day after festivities. What a great experience! Wonderful food fun and people were perfect to kick off the holiday season. Great job by the staff during a busy time! The light show was amazing and our Thanksgiving dinner was perfect

Room Tip: upgrade to a suite for the full experience!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hi Local J,

Thank you for the compliments and kind words. Its always great to have locals come over and enjoy the hotel especially during the lighting ceremony. We hope you took a lot of pictures of the light show and hopefully we will see you next year.
Loveland, Colorado
Reviewed January 10, 2013

So over the Holiday my In-laws decided to take my husband and I and our two boys for a train trip from Denver to Glenwood Springs. They booked and paid for us to stay two nights at the Hotel Colorado. As a native Coloradoan I have always wanted to stay at this hotel especially in the winter when they have an AMAZING Christmas light display. We had a room with two queen beds on the Third floor facing out the side of the hotel. The room was clean, spacious, and had a huge bathroom. The Hotel Lobby and the hotel in general are gorgeous and filled with history and charm that is non-existent in the newer hotel chains. I absolutely loved the ambiance of the hotel and the general vibe of the hotel. My two boys loved the lights inside and out of the hotel. I got amazing photos of my boys in the lobby with all the Christmas Trees and the wonderful piano. The bellhop was great. He picked us up and took us to the railway station and to the adventure park.
Now for the negatives….. The hotel allows dogs and not just one or two little dogs. Many many huge dogs! I saw a guest that had 3 dogs the size of St. Bernard’s. Now maybe for a dog lover this is not an issue and to begin with I had no issue with this at all. That was until my family got into an elevator and in comes a couple with a dog. Now I am stuck in an elevator with a large dog that is in my 2 year olds face, I don’t know this dog and I don’t know if this dog is nice or not and in general I would never allow my son to be that close to a dog we didn’t know. We had to rearrange ourselves with luggage to be able to pick-up our toddler so the dog would stop trying to get in his face. Then later the next day my Father-In-Law is waiting to get on the elevator on the 3rd floor, the door opens, and out comes a dog. The dog had gotten away from his owners, ran into the elevator, and then was running loose in the hotel. Finally on the second night I was awoken to somebody calling for their dog at 11pm as the dog ran down the hallway shoving its nose into the very large crack between the bottom of the door and the floor. This is an old hotel that does not have the ventilation systems of newer hotels and I can only imagine the pet dander that is in the rooms due to the allowance for pets in rooms. Besides the dog issues we found the rooms to be very loud. It’s an old hotel which means you can hear everything that is happening in the hallways and out on the street. If you are a light sleeper beware. The beds were so soft that I was constantly falling into the middle of the bed towards my husband and we had to take the plastic mattress cover off the bed as it sounded like we were sleeping on a paper bag and kept us awake the whole first night. Our tub stopper was broken so we had to call maintenance who gave us one that we could use and the color on our TV was going out so we got to watch TV only in purple and green hues.
Then the last day we went down to Breakfast at the main restaurant in the hotel which is PRICEY. It took the server 15 minutes to even acknowledge we were waiting to be seated. Once seated the poor service continued. The waitress in general acted annoyed at having to serve us or be at work that day. She only refilled my tiny coffee cup one time in the 1+ hour we were there. It took a very long time to get food and check. It was some of the poorest service I have experienced in quite some time. The food was very good though. The cinnamon roll and chicken sausage were delicious.
All in all if you don’t mind dogs and want a unique hotel experience then book it! If you have any issue with dogs, allergies, or noise then you may want to find somewhere else. What I told my Husband is, “I am glad we stayed there and had that experience but I would want to find somewhere else to stay if we go back in the summer”.

Room Tip: Front of hotel and petfree.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Kelly L
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

If you can appreciate character then you know sometimes it will not be what you want it to be, but what it IS. This place has lots of character. It has history and it has tradition. It can transport you back in time if only in your mind. If all you're focussed on are modern conveniences then stay away, you will not like it here.
No AC in the summer. So?
The heating plumbing knocks and hisses. Yes?
No 2 sink bathroom? I don't believe they had those in the 1890s ...
Get over yourselves and appreciate the great things this hotel does have:
Great architecture, history, beauty. Old world service and pride.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank JohnQConsummer
Devereux1893, Front Office Manager at Hotel Colorado, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for the warm praises. Two of the things that set us apart from all the other hotels in the area are our rich history and the impeccable hospitality we work hard to provide all of our guests. Thank you for keeping the true spirit of our venerable hotel alive.
Snowmass, CO
Reviewed January 7, 2013

like stepping back in time! Sure, the building shows its age, but well worth the trip. GREAT location, attentive staff, and tons of historic charm. Not the place to stay if you always want the most brand new, cutting edge type of hotel.......but if you really want a unique & memorable travel experience, the Hotel Colorado is worth going out of your way for.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Musician
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Both my sons love to spend their birthdays in a different suite every year. The Deveroux, Roosevelt, Molly Brown etc. The staff is always friendly and accomodating especially the front desk Manager Kimberly and Lisa the bartender. This year there was a mix up with our booking and Kimberly took care of it promptly. We always look forward to our stay and will be back soon!

Room Tip: The Roosevelt, Deveroux and Molly Brown suites are our favorites!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mpaxson
We are so pleased that you and your family come back every year for your son's birthday. I am especially pleased to hear that your reservation issue was handled promptly and professionally. Please call us directly when it comes time for your son’s next birthday, and we will be sure to make his birthday experience even more memorable than the last one.
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a romantic getaway. The staff was helpful and eager to serve, going above and beyond to make sure we were well taken care of. The bellman/driver (Brian) was accommodating and friendly. Art, the front desk supervisor was thoughtful to check on the train times without being asked, and also prepared our room quickly for an early check in. Julienne at the bar was attentive and provided great service. The hotel has a colorful history and we enjoyed the ambience. It would have been a bonus if there was still a billiard room on the property.

Room Tip: an end of the hall room may cut down on the hall traffic noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
We are so pleased to hear that your romantic getaway was so special. Pristine customer service and genuine hospitality is what every guest should expect and experience while staying at our venerable hotel. Please come back to see us on your next romantic getaway. We are hoping for renovations in the near future, and we will definitely take the idea of a billiard room into consideration. Your kind words are very much appreciated.