“A must-do!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Yampah Spa and Vapor Caves

Yampah Spa and Vapor Caves
More attraction details
Owner description: The Vapor Caves are other-worldly and perfect for relaxing after a day of outdoor activities.
Colorado Springs, CO
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“A must-do!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

Spent a couple days in Glenwood Springs, and did the hot springs pool, adventure park, etc. and concensus was that the Vapor Caves were the best! If you go after 8pm, its $8 to get in, so a lovely way to end the day. Trust me, you will not need to spend more than an hour in the caves...it's HOT. We would go in for 10-15 minutes, then relax in the Sanctuary upstairs, sip on chilled lemon water for a few, then go back down into the caves. It worked out well. Would recommend using the cold water tubs to soak your feet in, as it provides a little more stability to the hotness.

Visited September 2011
2 Thank rewardplanner

Kettering
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Worth it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

My husband and I came for our anniversary. We both used the vapor caves, which are very economical and a fun experience. They are very hot and dark. You ARE in a cave. So no ambience should be expected! Once we got over the heat, we enjoyed the feeling of sweating out the toxins as our muscles began to relax. The cool water provided was a big help and made it easier enjoy the heat.

We also had a mineral bath. Which in hind sight we should have skipped. Either do the bath or the cave. Not both. We were already warmed up so the bath was too much.

But, if just doing the bath, on a cool day... Very relaxing, private room with candles. A large tub and low music. Heavenly!

Our massages were very good. I told my requests to the receptionist and she matched us with the perfect therapists for us. I had Amy, my husband had Hope. It was nice that the music is piped in through the whole facility and the lighting is natural through the sky lights. My massage felt very complete for only 50 minutes. The price was fair as well.

This place is kind of natural looking. Not fancy. But that worked for me, as I didn't want to double for the same service elsewhere!

Would return again!

Visited September 2011
Washington, DC
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Definitely not a high end spa but an interesting experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

For those of you expecting a high end cushy spa experience, leave those expectations at the door or look elsewhere. I scheduled a sugar wrap while my family was at the hot springs pool so I arrived about 45 min before my appointment to visit the vapor caves. Upon checking in I was issued a thin cotton robe and one towel and shown the entrance to the caves and the changing room. The women's locker room is very very small and thankfully they give you a quarter when you check in as you need to insert money (just like at a theme park) to use a locker. After I locked up my things I wrapped my towel around my waist in my bathing suit and flip flops and headed down into the caves.
I wish they told you a little more about cave etiquette or what to expect as I wasn't 100% sure what to do (even though that sounds silly - you obviously just go to sit and sweat in the cave but there are hoses and dish tubs and a few different rooms so it's really not completely clear how it all works.) When I walked down the steps it was hot and there are some benches right at the entrance. I actually thought this was the cave until I realized this was just sort of a cool off area (although it's still hot) and I followed someone else deeper in to the caves. It's very dark and I saw a few rooms so I picked on and plopped myself down on the bench and sat on my towel. There are definitely vapors and it is definitely hot. You start sweating like you've never sweat before which is a nice feeling in the sense that you do feel like you're getting rid of impurities. I then saw people hosing themselves off and filling up the buckets which they either put their feet in or used to splash water on themselves. I hosed off once and managed to last 10 minutes before I had enough. Honestly I worried that I would dehydrate myself and pass out!
I then walked back upstairs (with my now very wet towel) and went into the women's shower area to rinse off. I believe this is is still hot spring water b/c it does have a slight odor. This is an open shower area with no private stalls. So now I'm basically dripping wet with a dripping wet towel so I went back up to the front desk to ask for another towel (which they gave me somewhat disdainfully). I also had to ask for another quarter b/c when you open up your locker again, you need another quarter. Frankly it was a pain in the you-know-what. I then put on my thin cotton robe and went to wait in the solarium to be called for my scrub. The solarium is co-ed and honestly not that nice or relaxing. I frankly was relieved to be called for my scrub.

The sugar scrub was fine but this complex is not that impressive. I laid on a sheet for the scrub and then had to get up and go into the private shower next door (wrapped in my sugary sheet) to rinse off. They said they recently re-did this spa but do not go expecting the typical spa experience (at least what I consider typical which isn't always Ritz-Carlton level but even Salon Zoe at our local mall has much much nicer facilities.)

So, why I am glad I experienced the vapor caves and while my skin was soft after the scrub, I was pretty disappointed with the overall experience. If someone had explained the caves better and if the locker rooms were bigger (and free), that alone would have improved the experience. I believe there are nicer spas in town so unless you're really set on experiencing the caves (where you can here the hot water burbling in the background which is sort of neat), I would look elsewhere for a higher end pampering experience.

Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mediocre at best, and won't be coming back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

My husband and I came up from our vacation condo in Vail.
We had scheduled a massage, reflexology, facials and manicure for him and
manicure/pedicures for me. My massage therapist Amy, was great, gave me a very thorough, deep tissue massage and reflexology treatment. From there it went straight down hill. The facial was mediocre at best, and the manicure/pedicure were the worst I have ever experienced. We won't be returning.

1 Thank BarbFR
Castle Rock, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Manicure?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

We went to Glenwood Springs for a spa day. The massages were great. The facials were fair. There was pain associated with the extractions. That was a first for me.

The manicures were another story. Nail tips were beveled. The beveling caused the nails to break and crack in short order. I spent money on the manicures and the next day needed to redo the nails. I would not do another manicure there. Save your money.