“Don't Stay Here--It's Filthy!”

Extended Stay America - Denver - Cherry Creek
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Glendale
plumtree
“Don't Stay Here--It's Filthy!”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I bought a night at this hotel for 68 bucks over Hotwire; one of those situations where you don't know where the hotel room is, but get a "good deal." So far from the truth! I knew I was in trouble right away because the office door was dirty and chipped--didn't even close all the way. I checked in by myself because my husband was to arrive later. I couldn't wait for him to get there because I was afraid. The rooms are the ones doors are to the outside. I could smell cigarettes all the way to my room from the people who were obviously living in this place. The room was filthy. There were grime streaks on the cream cupboards, the floors in the kitchen and bath were also filthy, and I wouldn't use the shower to save my soul it was so disgusting. There were flying bugs in the room--flies of some sort. The bedding was 20 years old with the foamy kind of blankets and pilled bedspread. The only, and I mean only redeeming quality of the room was the new carpeting. I still kept my shoes on in the room because I didn't want my socks contaminated. The chair was completely disgusting--uh the dirt spots. At 3:15 in the afternoon two people are outside my door knocking. I didn't answer, and the guy uses a key to open the door. Luckily my safety latch was secured. Through the opening, I say "Can I help you?" He replies that he wants to clean out the air conditioning filter. I say no thanks. What was that all about? Do those things BEFORE I check in... What a nightmare. The building was right behind a Target store, so we heard them backing up all night long. I haven't had that rotten of a night's sleep in a long time. I really wondered if my tires were going to be on my car in the morning! I couldn't wait to get out of there!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Denver - Cherry Creek, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review for our hotel.  Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post.  Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Our housekeeping staff strives to provide clean rooms for all of our guests to enjoy. Rooms are cleaned every 7-days, and in between upon guest request for a minimal fee, as well as after a guest checks out. I apologize if this was not the case for you. We will work to make improvements, much like the brand new carpet.

As well, I do apologize that our maintenance staff appeared at your doorway unannounced. Our guests are with us for both short term and long term stays, which makes it challenging to schedule these types of fixes. When it is necessary to do so, we knock on guests doors to announce ourselves. I am sorry if this was an inconvenience to you and will speak to the team about scheduling a time that will work for everyone moving forward.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I'd hate to say you get what you pay for, but I would have expected it to be clean at least. There was blood on the bedding and pubic hair all over the bathroom. I didn't notice the stains on the bedding until the next morning. Still grosses me out just thinking about it. Only positive thing was the location to stores and things.

• Stayed August 2012
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Denver - Cherry Creek, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel.  Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post.  Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I do appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns about the linens in your suite. First, please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring. Specifically, standard operating policy is that linens are always replaced with fresh, clean new bedding before a guest checks in. In addition, all rooms are inspected prior to being made available to the public. That having been said, I recognize the issue you have brought to my attention and discussed it with hotel staff and management.

Travelers are raving about these Glendale hotels

Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed August 30, 2012

The exterior of the hotel looks decent. It is nice and well lit. It is located next to a Super Target, and it has a kitchen, fridge and microwave, so if you wanted to do an extended stay it is a good location. Upon entering the room, there was no soap, shampoo, etc, which I inquired about at the front desk, the clerk was very friendly and helped us out, since housekeeping forgot to restock the room with supplies. The closet has hanger space, but no hangers. There is a coffee machine, but no cups. Get the picture? When I opened the fridge, the bottom part of it fell apart and I had to use a bar stool to keep it closed. The comforter was really dingy. There was a hole in it (which looked suspiciously like a cigarette burn or the like) and there were black and yellow stains on the inside. No bed bugs, no breakfast. Pillows aren't very comfortable, but hey I paid 42 dollars for this room on hotwire, so you get what you pay for. And, as I am writing this review, (no joke) the lower part of the bed just collapsed, therefore my original rating of 2 stars gets a pushy shove down to one lonesome star.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Denver - Cherry Creek, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review for our hotel.  Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff.  I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

As well, I apologize for the state of your in-room refridgerator and bed. In the future, please know that if you call Maintenance, they will come to fix anything you need. Regardless, I have spoken with our team to ensure that this type of situation does not happen again.

Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed August 5, 2012

After reading the tripadvisor reviews I came expecting a scarey, dirty room. I watch Hotel Impossible and know what to look for. I checked everything-bathroom, sheets, under the bed, comforter, bathroom-everything! What I found was a clean room with a fairly comfortable bed and a quiet fridge and airconditioner. The photos show an outdated T.V., but the room had a nice sized flat screen. Overall, I was pleased with my stay. The location is great!

Room Tip: Chhose a room off of Leetsdale Drive. It is a very busy street and may be noisy. I stayed in the bac...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank aaengkari
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Denver - Cherry Creek, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at our hotel.  It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. As you know, our unique suites are designed with you in mind.  Offering amenities like a full refrigerator, stovetop, in-room wifi access, personalized voicemail, and on-premise laundry in exceptionally priced rooms has led us to be the premier extended stay option in the industry.  And with guests like you, we will continue to thrive.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I stayed at this property about a year ago and found it to be adequate in a "you get what you pay for" way. The room was clean, in working order, and seemed to be secure. I spent several days in the area on business.

Our recent visit was so bad that we'll never stay at this property again:

Our first room, which we were forced to stay in because we checked in only a few minutes before 11 p.m., when the front desk CLOSED FOR THE NIGHT. The room had a number of non-working items, worn carpet and broken furniture and trim throughout, poor, worn beds, and the smell of smoke in a supposedly no-smoking room/property.

But the biggest issue was security. This hotel backs a very busy urban street and our room was next to the street. The first thing we noticed was that the hard door lock - the common lever type that secures the door from the inside - was missing. I then checked the large, ground-level window and found not only cracked, but the window hardware was missing. A slight push caused the entire window to start falling out: easy access for even a really incompetent thief. Needless to say, I spent the night with one eye open.

On inspection the next morning, I found that the outside of the door was visibly damaged: someone had clearly used a blunt instrument and brute force to break into the room (apparently unaware of the easy access through the adjacent window). Under no circumstances should this room have been made available for sale in this condition.

The apologetic front desk person moved us to another room on a higher floor the next morning. This room was in equally poor condition - numerous broken items and stains throughout and, again, the window locks had been broken off. The door was, however, secure, and we had no time to change rooms again before we departed so we were basically stuck for another night. The next morning, we got cold showers: on top of everything else, the boiler for that building went out leaving all of the guests with the pleasant brace of ice-cold water in the shower.

Needless to say, we cancelled the remainder of our stay and moved to another hotel nearby.

This property needs major renovations and upgrades. Rooms in such poor and insecure condition simply should not be sold. Even minor items, like broken lamps and dirty floors are left unrepaired, indicating a serious management problems. Do they not have enough maintenance personnel?

Last note: the front desk personnel were very friendly and accommodating, but they're working with a bad property and apparently indifferent ownership and/or management. The only other plus is that, having no exercise facilities, they provide guests with free access to the nearby Bally's Athletic Club, which was excellent.

Overall rating; terrible. Don't stay here unless you have evidence that these serious problems have been addressed. There are plenty of hotel rooms in the Cherry Creek-Glendale area of Denver.

Room Tip: Just about any room in another hotel would be better.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lyle B
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Denver - Cherry Creek, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead Denver - Cherry Creek. I am grateful for this opportunity to respond to your remarks. Please believe that our hotel has a firm commitment to professional and warm guest service. We strive to teach our staff to be appropriate in both appearance and action. Clearly, there was a break down in our training in your situation, so I have brought your concerns directly to the attention of each of our employees so that we can prevent a recurrence of the incident you had.

Let me apologize that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly.
Khobar, Ash Sharqiyah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed July 14, 2012

the bed was broken i called to be fixed no response u have to stay a week to get your room cleaned

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sadis A
Sadis,

I recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead Denver - Cherry Creek.  Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post.  Please accept my most sincere apologies. Given how hard we work to provide our guests with outstanding accommodations, I was troubled to read your remarks about the bed in your suite. Please know how important your comfort is to us. We have chosen bedding that we think best fits our customers' needs, and we continue to look for new ways to satisfy everyone's sleeping preferences. It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future.
Alamogordo, New Mexico
Reviewed July 1, 2012

This motel looks good from the outside, but it needs some updates. They have studio rooms with small kitchens. The bed was awful, like sleeping in a hole. The sheets were too small for the bed and would not stay on. The A/C barely worked and clanked all night. They had no ice and no coffee in the office. Our room did not have a coffee maker but they gave us one. The best thing about the motel is the location - very convienent to downtown Denver. The Mexican restaurant next door is pretty good.

Room Tip: Check the A/C noise before moving into the room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Extended Stay America - Denver - Cherry Creek, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for providing these constructive suggestions and we will have maintenance take another look at all A/C units to prevent any more unpleasant nights. Guest satisfaction is our #1 priority so we are always looking for ways to improve. Thanks again for the feedback and we hope that you might consider us in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glendale
Holiday Inn Denver - Cherry Creek
Staybridge Suites Denver-Cherry Creek
Hyatt Place Denver/Cherry Creek
Hilton Garden Inn Denver Cherry Creek
Hampton Inn and Suites Denver-Cherry Creek
Residence Inn Denver Cherry Creek

Been to Extended Stay America - Denver - Cherry Creek? Share your experiences!