“Avoid this place! Our worst stay in recent memory.”

Extended Stay America - Denver - Cherry Creek
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Glendale
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I stayed at this property about a year ago and found it to be adequate in a "you get what you pay for" way. The room was clean, in working order, and seemed to be secure. I spent several days in the area on business.

Our recent visit was so bad that we'll never stay at this property again:

Our first room, which we were forced to stay in because we checked in only a few minutes before 11 p.m., when the front desk CLOSED FOR THE NIGHT. The room had a number of non-working items, worn carpet and broken furniture and trim throughout, poor, worn beds, and the smell of smoke in a supposedly no-smoking room/property.

But the biggest issue was security. This hotel backs a very busy urban street and our room was next to the street. The first thing we noticed was that the hard door lock - the common lever type that secures the door from the inside - was missing. I then checked the large, ground-level window and found not only cracked, but the window hardware was missing. A slight push caused the entire window to start falling out: easy access for even a really incompetent thief. Needless to say, I spent the night with one eye open.

On inspection the next morning, I found that the outside of the door was visibly damaged: someone had clearly used a blunt instrument and brute force to break into the room (apparently unaware of the easy access through the adjacent window). Under no circumstances should this room have been made available for sale in this condition.

The apologetic front desk person moved us to another room on a higher floor the next morning. This room was in equally poor condition - numerous broken items and stains throughout and, again, the window locks had been broken off. The door was, however, secure, and we had no time to change rooms again before we departed so we were basically stuck for another night. The next morning, we got cold showers: on top of everything else, the boiler for that building went out leaving all of the guests with the pleasant brace of ice-cold water in the shower.

Needless to say, we cancelled the remainder of our stay and moved to another hotel nearby.

This property needs major renovations and upgrades. Rooms in such poor and insecure condition simply should not be sold. Even minor items, like broken lamps and dirty floors are left unrepaired, indicating a serious management problems. Do they not have enough maintenance personnel?

Last note: the front desk personnel were very friendly and accommodating, but they're working with a bad property and apparently indifferent ownership and/or management. The only other plus is that, having no exercise facilities, they provide guests with free access to the nearby Bally's Athletic Club, which was excellent.

Overall rating; terrible. Don't stay here unless you have evidence that these serious problems have been addressed. There are plenty of hotel rooms in the Cherry Creek-Glendale area of Denver.

Room Tip: Just about any room in another hotel would be better.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lyle B
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Denver - Cherry Creek, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

I recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead Denver - Cherry Creek. I am grateful for this opportunity to respond to your remarks. Please believe that our hotel has a firm commitment to professional and warm guest service. We strive to teach our staff to be appropriate in both appearance and action. Clearly, there was a break down in our training in your situation, so I have brought your concerns directly to the attention of each of our employees so that we can prevent a recurrence of the incident you had.

Let me apologize that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

the bed was broken i called to be fixed no response u have to stay a week to get your room cleaned

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sadis A

Sadis,

I recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead Denver - Cherry Creek.  Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post.  Please accept my most sincere apologies. Given how hard we work to provide our guests with outstanding accommodations, I was troubled to read your remarks about the bed in your suite. Please know how important your comfort is to us. We have chosen bedding that we think best fits our customers' needs, and we continue to look for new ways to satisfy everyone's sleeping preferences. It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

This motel looks good from the outside, but it needs some updates. They have studio rooms with small kitchens. The bed was awful, like sleeping in a hole. The sheets were too small for the bed and would not stay on. The A/C barely worked and clanked all night. They had no ice and no coffee in the office. Our room did not have a coffee maker but they gave us one. The best thing about the motel is the location - very convienent to downtown Denver. The Mexican restaurant next door is pretty good.

Room Tip: Check the A/C noise before moving into the room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thank you for providing these constructive suggestions and we will have maintenance take another look at all A/C units to prevent any more unpleasant nights. Guest satisfaction is our #1 priority so we are always looking for ways to improve. Thanks again for the feedback and we hope that you might consider us in the future.

Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

For $40 bucks a night I wasn't expecting the ritz, or anything like it. But I was hoping for a clean room, with wifi, and a basic kitchen... What I got was cigarette holes in the bed spread, stains on the counter-tops and dirt in every corner. The wifi has been slow the entire stay but last night it was like using dial-up or something. I called the front desk and they told me to call their service provider! How's that for service! 45 minutes later I had no resolution. Today the router is completely broken - and I got a similarly helpful response from the front desk.

In short - this place is a dump!!! Skip it!

• Stayed: May 2012
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

We would like to apologize for the unpleasant experience you had while staying with us. Please be assured that the issues have been addressed with our associates and preventative measures have been taken. Though we are not able to control the internet service at the property level, it is our responsiblity to try to resolve the problem with the company and properly inform our guest on the status. Thank you for the information and we hope that you might consider us in the future.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

When we went to the room, it had not been made up. The spread was turned down and stained, there was a pillow case sitting on the bed and there was only one pillow. We were given another room where there were cigarette butts in the heater, a coffee maker but no cups and the shelf in the closet was broken. In the room we rented for our kids, the cord for a lamp had been torn in half and someone had twisted the bare wires back together creating a real fire hazard. The latch on the door was broken. The stairs to the second floor were cracked and covered with cigarette butts. We would have moved to another place but the NCAA women's basketball final was that evening and there were no other available rooms. My advice is to avoid this hotel under any circumstances.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

I recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead Denver - Cherry Creek. We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why our mission is to provide clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price that guests want to come back to. The room condition you describe is totally unacceptable and in response to your post, I have met with our hotel staff to review on room cleaning and inspection policy. We apologize that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). We hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

The staff is very nice, but the facility itself is disappointing. It is not very clean. Smudges on walls, hair in the bathroom, and crumbs in the floor. Beds are not so comfortable...mattresses are hard and noisy from springs.

• Stayed: April 2012
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Homestead Denver - Cherry Creek. Please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent an unacceptable situation like yours from occurring. All rooms are regularly cleaned and disinfected upon a guest's checkout as well as during applicable periods of the stay, then inspected by a manager who determines if it meets our quality standards. I have met with hotel management and staff to find out why and to determine a system for preventing a repeat occurrence. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of Extended Stay Hotels(sm)' other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.

Reviewed February 10, 2012

We spent three nights here. The room was fine and I liked the kitchenette. The location was fairly central to places we wanted to go, including the Museum of Science and Nature, and there were several interesting restaurant choices within a few miles, including Wahooz Fish Tacos. I liked the hotel but we didn’t feel especially safe here. One night, we were woken about 3 a.m. by people throwing fireworks in the parking lot and when my wife looked out our third floor window to see what was going on, a woman in a car below yelled obscenities at her. Another time, there were a bunch of cops apparently responding to something that happened in one of the rooms. I’ll definitely look for an alternative before staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glendale
Capitol Hill
11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel
11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel
#105 of 160 in Denver
Stapleton
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Denver

Been to Extended Stay America - Denver - Cherry Creek? Share your experiences!