“Only thing that was open late...pleasantly surprised!”

Lucha Colorado Cantina
Ranked #5 of 23 Restaurants in Georgetown
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed July 22, 2014

It was late and we were hungry! Georgetown closes EARLY so we were surprised to see when this place was still open. I was a bit worried at first, hoping we weren’t going to get food poising lol. Toour pleasant surprise, the food was really good! It was funky and different. I had a HUGE Philly cheese steak chimi! LOL Couldn’t finish even ½ of it. My son got the mac-n-cheese and it was tasted homemade, no box there. Very good!

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Myself, my husband and our two friends ordered 3 chicken chili rellenos, 1 hamburger, and chips with salsa. All 3 of us who had the rellenos rated them the worst we have ever eaten. The poblano pepper used was not skinned and was left uncooked. The poblano pepper was incased in a crispy coating that was fried well (reminded me of wonton wrappers, but better). This crispy coating was nice and everything one could hope for in a relleno, but when added to an uncooked, raw, crunchy poblano pepper, the textures and flavors don't work at all. When a poblano is cooked, it takes on a softer texture and, more importantly, adds more depth of flavor. These rellenos were lacking this type of sophistication. As a result, the textures and flavors were not in harmony. The ample cheese was melted inside and there were 2 very small bits of chicken at only one end of the relleno. The watery green chili poured atop of the relleno had an unpleasant, almost sour flavor. We could not figure out what could have been added, but we were guessing too much vinegar. There was shredded chicken in the green chili that made the sauce too stringy. Personally, I could not taste the green chilis in the sauce at all. For the 3 of us in our party, these were the absolute worst rellenos of our lives.

One in our party had a burger with fries and said her dish was very good. The burger had a nice flavor and was cooked well. The bun was fresh.

We also shared the chips with salsa. The chips were very thick and crunchy. We tried 3 salsas and all were excellent in uniqueness, intensity of flavor and fresh quality. My husband says that the ghost salsa is delicious and worth the extra charge. Kudos in this area!

The lighting is so dim that we could not easily read the menu. We had to stand up and put our menu close to the wall lighting so we could read the menu. It would be an improvement if the menu had black type in larger fonts against a bright white background....or install brighter bulbs.

1  Thank Lynn P
Reviewed July 18, 2014

We needed a place to eat before our Georgetown Loop Train ride and walked into Lucha Cantina. The atmosphere was comfortable with a wide variety of choices on the menu. The Wahoo Tacos and pulled pork sandwich were wonderful!

Reviewed July 15, 2014

YUM. Aside from the food being really fantastic, our quirky waiter and the hilarious menu (you'll see what I mean) really made this place. I never thought I'd find such good, fresh Mexican food in tiny Georgetown but it was a day of surprises for me. In the future I would certainly skip appetizers and share a main course because the portions are enormous. What a great place for a cozy dinner on a chilly evening!

Reviewed July 12, 2014

We enjoyed the food and rustic setting. The service was good. Friendly waitress. The portions are huge. We easily could have shared two dishes between three of us.

1  Thank D S