“Best place to view the Aspens in the fall”
Review of Guanella Pass

and up
Private Day Tour of Mt Evans from Denver
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Georgetown
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Located just south of Georgetown off I-70, this is a short ride from Denver with many great places to view the golden colors of the aspens in the fall. It's about 12 miles to the summit and the road is paved. If you continue down the other side it is gravel. There are many places to pull off the road and view the scenery.

All reviews
in 36 reviews
"summit"
in 47 reviews

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We took the Guanella pass road from Georgetown to Grant today. I was actually expecting the road to be in worse shape than it was. The portion from Georgetown up to the summit is paved. There are a number of switchbacks and hairpin turns but that's to be expected on mountain roads. You don't need a 4 wheel drive vehicle for this road. The section from the summit going down to Grant turns to a dirt road. It's hard packed and has some washboard areas. Just take it slow and enjoy the views! The road gets closed in Winter so take advantage of the weather to enjoy some really great Fall color.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

A must-see for leaf-viewing season. Not as scary as Loveland Pass and closer to Denver, but that makes for a crowded route on a Fall weekend. Wish I had taken off a Tuesday afternoon instead.

2  Thank KK80439
Reviewed September 28, 2013

My husband and I hiked up Mount Bierstadt over Labor Day weekend. While my husband has hiked up other fourteeners, this was my first. Supposedly Mount Bierstadt is an "easy" fourteener but I definitely put effort into this. I had a good experience overall and I highly recommend the following:

* Use the bathroom at the trailhead. There are no bathrooms or "secluded" areas along the trail. Ladies, be prepared.

* Wear hiking boots. I wore running shoes (as did many others) but due to the uneven and rocky terrain, my feet were sore the next day.

* Wear layers. When we started our hike, it was in the upper 40s (maybe low 50s) with sunshine. When we reached the summit, it was cloudy, windy and very cool. When we returned to the car, it was raining hard.

* Bring a lot of water and snacks.

* Allow ample time. Our hike was approximately 5 hours round-trip, which included a short break at the summit. We are in fairly good physical shape but the altitude and angle of the ascent definitely slowed me down.

* Most importantly, savor the accomplishment! It's funny how the view on the way up looks daunting and neverending yet how that same view (looking back) on the way down gives you an incredible "I did this" boost.

2  Thank Susan B
See more reviews
Reviewed September 24, 2013

The road is open, paved and very lightly traveled from Georgetown to the summit and is a great trip until you hit the unpaved road into Grant. Absolutely the worst dirt road with washboard bumps and large holes in the road. It is amazing that this part of the road should be the easiest to maintain but every time we have been over this road, this is the absolute worst. You would think that Colorado or the County would want to showcase this drive. The top portion is beautiful and awe inspiring, the road to Grant is bone jarring.

1  Thank jhawk1000