“I would stay away from this inn if you're part of a group, especially a wedding party”

Georgetown Mountain Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Georgetown B&B and Inns
Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed July 16, 2010

We booked a block of 12 rooms at Georgetown Mountain Inn months in advance of our daughter's July 4 wedding. The rooms were intended for the bride and groom, members of the groom's family and the bridal party. Working directly with Dawn, the inn's manager, we provided a room-by-room description of who was occupying each of the 12 rooms -- and how many people would be there. As the final week before the wedding approached, we thought we were all set. However, we were thrown off by:
1. Confused and sometimes absent staff. On July 1, a member of the inn's staff called to say that, in one of the rooms where we planned to put four people, they had substituted one king-size bed for two queen-size beds. When I pointed out that four people don't fit in one bed, she simply laughed and didn't seem to understand the problem. I had to make a series of last-minute calls to guests to arrive at a rearrangement that wouldn't involve stacking people four high.
I asked the same employee if members of the bridal party could access one or two of the 12 rooms we had booked before the 3:00 p.m. check-in time, in order to drop off luggage. The idea was to avoid making 24 people drag all their bags to the wedding venue. The employee said yes, and we said we would drop things off starting at 11:00 a.m. on July 4. We arrived at that time on July 4, only to find an empty lobby and no one at the front desk. There was no bell to ring for service, just a sign asking us to wait for someone to return. We'll never know if the two rooms we requested for luggage storage were ready, because after more than 45 minutes of waiting and shouting "Hello? Hello?", no one showed up. We had to leave for the rehearsal, bags in tow.
2. Inappropriate enforcement of the noise policy. Noise is an issue at this inn, as evidenced by "thin walls" comments in other reviews, and a policy for dealing with it makes sense. However, as soon as the bridal party arrived -- even before they had checked into their rooms -- the inn employee at the desk began following them around, apparently assuming that, since they were a large group, noise would be a problem. The employee even hovered around the closed door of the bride and groom's room, (visible through the bedroom window) leaning in to listen for noise -- a practice that's intrusive and creepy. In short, they were not welcoming to large groups.
3) Bugs. Roaches were spotted in the bathrooms of three of the 12 rooms we booked. When the lights were out in the bedroom and guests entered the bathroom and turned on the light, roaches skittered away to hiding places. They moved too fast to make clear photographs possible, although a few guests tried to document their existence with their cell phone cameras. While the bugs were not visible in the next morning's light, they were likely still there.

Don't get me wrong. I love the town of Georgetown and will definitely return. I just won't return to this inn -- particularly as part of a group reservation. And I would recommend that other guests work directly with the manager, if at all possible, since other employees are largely the problem.

• Stayed July 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Our stay on June 30, 2010 was fine. We had a large, clean room with a huge bathroom, and a good swim in the heated indoor pool. The lady at the front desk was very helpful as she gave us a coffeemaker to use in our room and included coffee with it. The room wasn't air conditioned, but we didn't need it. It's true that it was a bit noisy, but not at bedtime. Allegations of staff rudeness are groundless. Overall, we liked the motel and the people who run it. This is not the Ritz, but it's a decent place for a small mountain town.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MadisonMan
Lakewood, CO
Reviewed April 4, 2010

I was hesitant to book this hotel based on the previous reviews. Based on the location and price, I decided to take a chance. I have no idea what previous reviewers were basing their reviews on. Our room looked exactly like one on the website. The room was clean, the staff was friendly and helpful. I loved that they had a pool (a requirement for our 7 yr old), and the pool was heated. You could hear some noises from adjacent rooms, but no more than you would in other hotels. The hotel is in walking distance to most of the restaurants, and store. Free coffee, juice, tea, hot chocolate, and muffins in the morning was a nice touch. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
GTINN, Manager at Georgetown Mountain Inn, responded to this review, April 18, 2010
Thank you for your kind review. We're always trying to improve our accomodations for our guests. We know there are many choices and we want to especially thank you for staying at the Georgetown Mountain Inn. See you next time!
Anchorage
Reviewed March 17, 2010

Had a very nice stay with my husband and two young children. Rooms are spacious and very comfortable. It was a great place to rest and unwind after a long day on the road. The kids were able to swim in the indoor pool. Within walking distance of everything. The staff was wonderful, very accommodating to my children. Very pleasant experience all-around. Would definately go back.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
GTINN, Manager at Georgetown Mountain Inn, responded to this review, March 29, 2010
Thank you so much for staying with us. We appreciate your business very much and look forward to seeing you and your family again in the future.
rapid City
Reviewed March 5, 2010

Rooms noething like the pictures on their web site, run down, holes in the wall, carpet dirty and not clean bathroom. Pool is run down and hot tube was locked for guest but staff were in the one night. Breakfast was a joke for 95 dollars the drive to Silverthorn is worth the trip. front staff could speek english. Over all experience was very poor. They charge an extra 5$ to clean your room or get extra towles.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Georgetown hotels

Texas
Reviewed February 23, 2010

I stayed here in December with my husband and best friend and had an awful experience. I had booked the room 2 1/2 months in advance with the only helpful employee - Jessica - and confirmed the room for ONE night, as we were staying in Breckenridge for the remainder of our trip. Upon check-in the guy at the front desk said "you confirm two nights?" and I said "no, one night. We're checking out in the morning". He said "okay, I will let the other person know." At that point I thought it was settled.

We got into our room and it was decent enough - clean, simple. Nothing wrong with the room itself, and they had ample parking.

The next morning we go to check out and that's when things went downhill. The woman at the front desk (I'm assuming the owner from our experience with her) said "you pay for two nights". I said no, we were only booked for ONE night which I confirmed in October, and again one week prior to our stay. She insisted we were wrong and had in fact booked two nights. My husband and best friend chimed in and confirmed my story, that we had only booked one night. We went around and around with the owner, explaining every which way we could that we had only booked one night. (Why would we reserve a condo in Breck for the very same 2nd night they were insisting we had?!?!?) Finally the owner said she was going to call Jessica and get her to confirm our story.

She called Jessica and Jessica said she remembered talking to me but couldn't remember how many nights. I asked her to please relay that to the owner. The owner insisted that either we or Jessica were going to have to pay for the 2nd night. We said absolutely not, that we had reservations at another condo for that night and she was welcome to call them to confirm. She refused, and said "I will get Jessica to pay for the 2nd night, this is her mistake".

We said fine, that however they decided to settle it was not our business, just please let us pay and check-out so we could move on. She refused. Then she called Jessica and told her that she was going to have to pay for the 2nd night, all this time ignoring us and our attempts to pay.

I finally told her that her business with Jessica was not our business and that it was very unprofessional to keep arguing with her and us on the matter, and could we please go. She finally accepted our payment and continued telling us we were lying and that she was going to punish Jessica for it. Really, who does that?! We were trying to pay and work it out, even stood up for her employee since she continued to rail on her on her day off, and told her we would never, ever return.

Hence this review. We were all so infuriated by our experience that I cannot help but write such a bad review. The management could have handled that situation in so many other ways but they chose instead to call us liars, then call their employee a liar, and refused to work with us in any rational kind of manner. Not only that but they did it in front of another guest who was patiently waiting to check in.

I seriously don't know how this place will stay in business with that kind of poor management, and strongly urge all readers to stay elsewhere. Yes it's a good value and great location, but it's truly not worth the hassle to deal with the incompetent management.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Tulsa, OK
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Lodge style bed, room had plenty of room and space for snow equipment. Breakfast was skimpy so plan to find some food or take your own.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Georgetown
Best Western Ptarmigan Lodge
Winter Park Mountain Lodge
#4 of 15 in Winter Park
Hampton Inn & Suites Silverthorne
Americas Best Value Inn-Georgetown Lodge

Been to Georgetown Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!