“Rustic Motel in the Mountains”

Georgetown Mountain Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Georgetown B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Heated pool, outdoor hot tub (tiptoe through the snow to get there).

This isn't Aspen, but nor are the prices. I picked it because it was the only place with availability for 100s of miles along I70. Wasn't sure what I'd find, but it's fine.

It's a motel, has what you need, free coffee in the reception, free wifi in the rooms, warm, what's not to like. The decor isn't IKEA, but it fits with the fascinating town of Georgetown.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JamesHappyWalker
GTMI, General Manager at Georgetown Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Mr. Walker,

I am glad you found a decent place to rest your head.

We try to be a reliably good place to stay because, like you said,
people don't know what they might come across.

A tip for travelers is to use Google maps and street view.

I really appreciate your comments and time.

Thank you.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I with 2 kids stayed here on our ski trip. The staff was wonderful. Very laid back and friendly. Perfect location! Walking distance for dinner and breakfast. Beds were comfortable, wifi worked great, microwave and refrigerator in room were great! Cute pool area. You can tell the owners/management put a lot into keeping this place up. I am a clean freak and I found minimal issues with this place.

• Stayed: March 2013
GTMI, General Manager at Georgetown Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Jnelson123,

I am very glad you enjoyed your stay.
Please come and visit again.

Jeannette has been our main housekeeper for
almost a year now and my hat has to go off to her.
She knows how she would like a hotel room to be,
'gets it' when it comes to guest sensitivities,
and cleans accordingly. A true asset. She does
a great job here and at Subway.

Thank you for your post and your visit.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I really am not a picky person and we have stayed at many motor lodge type places. This was however the worst I have ever been in. My son could not even walk around the pool because all of the rocks around the pool floor were pulling up and were loose. His little feet found them very hard to walk on. The loose rocks made their way into the pool making it difficult to stand in there as well. The hot tub (warm if that) was dirty and smelly. I had to turn the jets off because they made the smell even worse. The cover of the hot tub was torn into two pieces. The walls are paper thin. I think a tent would have blocked the noise better. The towels were paper thin and the walls of the shower had huge cracks in them which was probably leaking water into the walls of the hotel. The walls in the room had holes in them which they filled with kleenex. I also had to kill a few gnats a day in the room! I have no idea where they were coming from. We did not have food in our room. The breakfast is gone if you don't get there by 7:30 ( if you call mini muffins only a breakfast). The staff were horrible. They said no more than 2 words to us during check in and check out. We dropped off our keys for check out at the front desk and they took the keys and said nothing to us. I had to wait 5 minutes for the person at the front desk to get off of a personal call to ask them a question about the breakfast. Both of the vending machines they had were out of service during our entire stay (3 nights) and it looked like they had been that way for quite some time. I would never recommend this place to anyone and I will never stay there again. I will stay farther from the Loveland ski area before I stay there again. Don't waste your money here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
GTMI, General Manager at Georgetown Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Wendy,

I am very sorry you did not enjoy your stay.

It was a three day visit and I am surprised and dismayed you did not ask for me.

It's always better for the business AND future guests to get with a representative of the business or management as things happen so corrective action can occur right away.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We recently went to the Georgetown Mountain Inn for a ski vacation. We stayed on a Thursday through Sunday. The place was great. It is not the Beverly Hills Hilton by any means, but we new that going in. The manager was very accomidating in everything we needed. We rented the suite room and were very impressed. The pool and hot tub were great. After a long day on the slopes the 91 degree pool was awesome. This hotel is great for skiing Loveland as it was only a 10 minute drive. We will definitely come back. For the price, you can't beat it!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

KansasChief,

Thank you for the review. I always appreciate it when
people take the time to post. As I explained in other reviews,
I've been short handed for over a month and training the new guy.

You're right on. We try to get the price point right for a two
star hotel and try hard to provide the best service we can.

Please visit again when you need to escape the Kansas heat.
There is so much to do in and around Georgetown. And within
an hours drive from Georgetown you can see most of what makes
Colorado such a great place.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I was swayed by the positive reviews and the cozy, quaint sound of a "mountain inn". However, what we (two parents and a six year old,) found was just a little dissapointing.
The lay out is like an old-school motor lodge with the stairs and hallways outside, facing the parking lot.This is not obvious from the photo on the website. So, from your room, one can see who is walking by, who is talking, and you have to make sure you pull the curtain on the window once it gets dark, etc.
The "hot" tub (or shall we say the luke-warm tub?) is small, sits on a concrete slab, is exposed to the elements, and lacks privacy. On the other hand, the heated pool is inside of a plastic solarium/greenhouse type structure and is quite warm and pleasant. There are house plants and small shrubs in big plastic pots. It is on the small side, but pleasantly, suprisingly warm.
Our room had two twin beds, 70's rec-room wood panneling, a decent, clean bathroom, and a small fridge and microwave. The fridge had an annoying hum.
There were "I-70 Courtesy Vehicle" drivers staying in the rooms on either side of us. Ironically, they were very uncourteous. We had to listen to them talking to each other on their radios from their respective rooms. They then congregated in one room and proceeded to have a long, in-depth conversation about how drunk they got that one time. They were not out of line. It was just that the walls are so thin that we could hear every word. They might as well have been in our room. At least they quieted down by 10:00pm.
All in all it was an ok stay. The management was amiable. It was affordable. But if you value your sleep on the weekends, you probably will find the thin walls and the bouncy mattresses to be real deal breakers.

Room Tip: Perhaps request one of the "remodeled" rooms. We were told the second floor was quiter, wh...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Hi ride2live,

So sorry it was not what you expected.
Pictures on the Trip Advisor website provide a thourough
tour of the hotel. Our new website is under construction.

The Courtesy Patrol has been very responsive after I spoke to them.
They had one of their tow trucks break down the night you wrote about.
Extra commotion for them, but they keep the interstate clear for all the travelers.

I do respond to excessive noise, or noise after 10 PM quiet time
issues.

The hot tub is normally at 104 to 106 degrees. In 20 degree or lower weather
with heavy use, the temp does drop into the 90s. Enclose maybe, but then
people would not have the views and sun the rest of the year.

We get overall good reviews because we do the best we can with a building
constructed in 1964 and the profit margins we have to work with.

Thank you.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

My husband and I were pleased to find a clean room in great condition at such a fair price. We read some reviews which said the "decor" was outdated. I consider it simply log cabin traditional and our very basic room had modern touches (like the vanity), the mattress was comfortable and everything worked. There was even a mini-fridge and micro-wave available. I'd advise bringing some Starbucks single-pack ready brew and cups or a 4 cup coffee maker (as we do)...should you also like in-room early morning coffee. The office doesn't open until around 7:30. Admittedly the exterior could use some work, but that's not where we spent our time. We would return.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Gayle,

Thank you very much for takiing the time to post.
Sorry it took me a while to reply. Short handed for a while here
and now training the new guy.

It sounds like you had a room with the log furniture.

For the readers:

We also have standard rooms with more basic furniture,
Colorado rooms, and a Suite.

The Colorado rooms were remodeled in 2002 and have
the log furniture, blue stain pine paneling, and
large enclosed bathrooms. These are the rooms described as
"cozy and romantic".

The Suite is like a one bedroom apartment with a full kitchen.
It has a Queen bed in the bedroom and a futon and day bed in
the living area.

We do complimentary continental breakfast - coffee, muffins,
and juice - in the lobby from 7 AM to 11 AM.

And we have some coffee makers available upon request.

Thank you again and I look forward to seeing you next time.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

We planned to ski 2 days at Loveland, and Georgetown has the closest hotels to that ski area. Not having been to Georgetown previously, I selected GMI after reading reviews on the internet and talking with Dan on the phone. Great decision... He gave me a room discount because we were going to ski at Loveland. We stayed 3 nights in late Jan 2013. Dan explained that service was by request and that suited us fine. There was no coffee maker in the room, but he provided one when I requested it. We stayed in a large room on the first floor with log-style furniture. Parking was just outside the room. The room was very clean, the shower worked great, the TV worked great, and the king-size bed was very very comfortable. We had 4 pillows on the bed. I had no problem using the hotel's WIFI with my computer. Breakfast was juice, coffee, and muffins in the lobby. Dan was always very congenial and helpful throughout our stay. There was some noise from the room upstairs one night, but things quieted down before bedtime. When we return to Georgetown, we'll certainly try to stay at the Georgetown Mountain Inn again -- especially if Dan is still the manager.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Harry,

Thank you so much for the review.
Sorry it took long for me to reply.
I've been without a desk clerk for five weeks and now training the new one.

It was so nice to meet you too.

I appreciate the planning that went into your trip
as it allowed you find out that we offer coffe makers upon request.
And you found out and don't mind our "green housekeeping upon request practice".

than you so much again.

Dan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Georgetown
Best Western Ptarmigan Lodge
Hotel Chateau Chamonix
Hotel Chateau Chamonix
#1 of 6 in Georgetown
Ameristar Casino Resort Spa Black Hawk

Been to Georgetown Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!