“Our American Friends Loved it -thank you!”

The Deccan Bangladeshi Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 55 Restaurants in Urmston
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We had booked for a party of 15 soccer friends from The University of Tennessee after an early evening drink at The Lord Nelson following a superb MCFC match - a great English saturday experience all round! Whilst our arrival caused a bit of disruption as the tables were joined, the food surpassed expectations! Service was generally good natured, lovely waiter from Oldham, although several of the other waiters were clearly under pressure. Set meal was delicious, plentiful and great value - everyone really enjoyed it. Thank you. We will I'm sure visit regularly from now on.

2  Thank reneaero

Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Back in the1970's I had my first ever curry, and went on to fall in love with Indian food, at the Deccan. Having moved away from Manchester, I hadn't been to the Deccan for 20 years until last night.
The place was almost unrecognisable. Gone were the seating booths, flock wallpaper and "interesting" smelling loos. There was a modern, open design, smart crockery and a wide, varied menu to rival any I have seen. The food was excellent and fairly priced, and the service was polite and efficient. It was a pleasure to be back. And the loos? Sparkling and fresh! A great night out. We won't leave it another 20 years.

2  Thank davatron
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My brother Rob and I hit The Deccan on a recent Monday evening after first visiting a pub that had been converted from Urmston's former British Raiways stationhouse. Monday is kind of an odd night to visit a restaurant, I'll admit, but I was a bit pressed for time and wanted to revisit The Deccan before I returned to the US.

You see, I used to live less than a quarter of a mile from this venerable Flixton Road curry house, and was once a frequent diner. In fact, I think I was among the first 100 people to dine here when in opened, back in The Day...was it really 1969? Wow.

I first ventured in with a girl I was seeing; we were curry newbies at that time, among other things, and the tantalizing scents that wafted through the entrance pulled me inside like a starving Daffy Duck in an old Looney Tunes cartoon. First visit, I started off with something mild, like a Korma, then on succeeding treks working up to the Madras, and then danced around the Rogan Josh, until finally, after about visit Number Five... I stepped up to the Holy Grail of Curries... the Vindaloo.

Vindaloo Beef (in those early days), Vindaloo Chicken, Vindaloo Lamb.

I settled on Vindaloo as a mainstay... just as soon as I became acclimated to the pungent and fiery sauce, but also sampled the Rogan Josh, and on occasion, the Biryani. Like a young man visiting a girl's school, I loved them all.

The Deccan was where we lads ended up after the pubs shut, after the pictures, after a stag do, or after anything at all, really.

I even had breakfast there at least one time, while the waiters ran the vacuum and set tables. I loved it.

Then, I left Urmston and returned to the US to seek my fortune in 1974. I could take the long, cold North American winters; I could handle the long, cold job search; I could even handle the loss of my former dining partner; but what I truly pined for, after a smile from my Mum or a pint with my Dad, or a laugh with my siblings, was a decent plate of curry once in a while. While it is true that here in Philadelphia, we had several good Indian and Pakistani establishments, the sauce was nowhere near as good as that which I remembered so longingly from my many curries consumed in England.

Over the years, on visits to my parents' home in Urmston, I always ventured to The Deccan for a Vindaloo at least once per trip. Sometimes with my old pals Arthur or Dermot or Gilly, sometimes with brother Rob and his mates, sometimes with La Cindee. This continued on and off from 1977 through 2007 or so, when The Deccan CLOSED.

My Mecca was gone.

During transatlantic phone calls I would ask if it had reopened, but the answer was always "no".

It has since reopened! Completely remodeled and featuring open seating and an open kitchen, where you can watch the cooks working on your meal. The decor is "meh", but the food is great.

Service was a little odd, and if you care to listen I will relate my experience.

Upon entering the completely customer-bereft dining room at about 8:30 or so, we were asked if we had a reservation. Rob (pictured in this review) wondered aloud if they could possibly accommodate us without one (he is a cheeky fellow).

Once seated, we were asked what we would like to order for starters.

"Pappadam and pickles."

Is that all? You don't want a starter?

"No, just the pappadam for now; but we are also going to order dinner."

No starter?

"No starter."

And to drink?

"Water, please."

Water?

(I assume at that point we were supposed to resume drinking beer)

"Yes. Water. "

(Eying the many bubbling aquarium like decorations lining the walls)

"Do you HAVE water?"

"Great. Two glasses of water, please."

I got a bad feeling then. New decorations, new layout, new attitude.

It having been years since I ate at The Deccan, I was unsure of my tolerance for their spice, so Rob and I made a pact: he would order the Chicken Madras, and I would order the Chicken Vindaloo. If the V was too hot, we would split our sauces between us. If the V was just right, we would split the sauces anyway so we could both share.

The Vindaloo was lovely. It had been toned down somewhat, and the flavours (note spelling) shone through. The peppery fire of yore was replaced by deeply complex and tomatoey-garlicky sauce of a medium reddish-brown colour (note spelling). We shared Chapati, and also had a couple of pints of bitter or lager to go with the meal.

By the end of our satisfying visit, the waiters and Rob and I were talking about the old days (there was still at least one of the old crew, Paul, still on staff). Paul was much younger than me, but during this visit the difference was not noticeable anymore. He had caught up or I had stopped aging.

As we paid our reasonable bill, they gave us some own-label chocolates as a sort of dessert, on the house.

Now, that was remarkable.

I will return to The Deccan next time I visit Manchester, most def.

1  Thank Jim_Naughton
Reviewed February 17, 2013

great food, great prices.... the default indian to goto in Manchester..... even better than the Nahwaab in Levenshulme

Reviewed December 25, 2012

Very chaotic service. There is a staff pecking order that is very entertaining to watch. Food is nice. Probably best cuury house in Urmston but not as good as those in Manchester. My last trip there was OK until I came to pay. I had been charged for drinks I did not have. Card Machine broke and I was a fiver short on paying cash. Had to go cash machine but was then given a bottle of wine to compensate.