“Oasis in the high desert”

Gateway Canyons Resort, A Noble House Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gateway
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Oasis in the high desert”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Really not much in Gateway Colorado except the Gateway Canyon Resort. Spectacular location. Arrive via the Paradox Valley from Mosb. Beautiful resort with every amenity. Lovely spa. Vintage automobile museum that really depicts American history of the past century. Destination resort. Don't miss it.

Room Tip: Ours was large & beautiful w fireplace . I passed others with balconies w fire pits.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank aam333
gatewaycanyons, Guest Relations Manager at Gateway Canyons Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
It was a pleasure reading your review. We often consider Gateway Canyons as a "hidden treasure" or "oasis" and we appreciate that you feel the same way. Thank you for highlighting our Spa and Auto Museum, as they should be on the "must experience" list of every guest.

With much appreciation,

Director of Resort Lodging

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We were looking for a luxury resort and this definitely fit the bill. The views of the canyon are absolutely gorgeous. We had a standard room that was spacious and came with a private patio. There are two restaurants on site and the meals won't leave you hungry. Breakfast was actually the best meal there. Dinner was so-so for the price. The resort has free day tripper bikes to ride around the resort which won't take a lot of time since it's compact. You can hike in the mountains behind the resort on marked trails. And, for an additional fee there are a host of things you can do: horseback riding, helicopter rides, spa, and a car museum. I am not a car enthusiast and I tell you - you have to see the museum. It has a collection of American cars from a 1910 Cadillac to a the Smokey & the Bandit Trans Am. The best item in the collection is a F88 concept car from the 1950s (it's the only one in the world). Be advised: It's about 44 miles outside Grand Junction which made day trips a real excursion. Unless you plan to keep yourself busy with the activities or simply lounge by one of the two pools, you'll end up doing a lot of driving back and forth to get there. We took the advice of the restaurant staff and did a day trip to Arches NP on the longer route. It was a crazy 2.5 hour trip through the mountains with a lot of switchbacks - beautiful but exhausting. We opted for the highway back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank USTravelers50207
gatewaycanyons, Guest Relations Manager at Gateway Canyons Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Thank you for your review and comments. We appreciate your insight on our Auto Museum and agree it is a "must see". Many of our guests like to take day trips to Moab and to Telluride. The trip to Moab over John Brown Canyon is a beautiful and adventurous one! We invite you back to explore more of this stunning area of Colorado!

Warm regards,
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We were looking for a wonderful Colorado weekend and certainly found it in Gateway Canyon Resort. Nobody I spoke to in Denver where i work knew it was there, as it is so out of the way, which is both a blessing and a curse. The resort feels at times unoccupied, which is great for all the activities you want to do - we hired a Bentley Continental GT convertible for a few hours - and restaurant reservations - not a difficulty to book a table anytime. Staff were very personable and pleasant but ALL the service was slow. We waited 30 mins for our breakfast order to arrive. That said, we were sitting outside looks king at one of the most incredible views in North America, and little else to do, so time takes on a slightly different perspective.
Food was excellent, scenery superb, bedrooms very comfortable with our own hot tub which we used more than we thought we would, and a ton of activities at our disposal. We went out on an ATV tour which was stunning, and wished we had taken advantage of the helicopter tour, but the spending has to stop somewhere.
The weekend we were there America, the band, played a private concert to the residents of the resort which was fabulous. After the concert the resort had organized poolside entertainment in the form of Lindsay Harper and her musical partner John. They were excellent and kept us beautifully entertained until 12.30 am.
All in all a wonderful, but expensive, weekend but I'm certain that our wonderful memories will far outlive the memories of the costs.

Room Tip: Choose a hot tub room in Kiva lodges and use it in the evening to look at the night sky. With no li...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rob M
Thank you for your superior review. You picked an excellent weekend to visit Gateway Canyons. The "America" concert was very special and having Lindsay Harper here was a bonus. I am happy you were able to take advantage of our new Driven Experience and venture out in a Bentley Continental GT convertible. Our ATV tours are so much fun and the views are spectacular. We invite you back to do the helicopter tour. I can personally say it was the highlight of my summer last year. We always want you to leave with wonderful memories and I'm thankful you did.

Warm regards,

Brentwood, California
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I can't seem to stop thinking of how spectacular my trip was. I was immediately relaxed upon arrival, and in absolute awe of the back drop and surrounding setting that grew more and more dramatic depending on the sun light and the time of day. To be in this luxurious resort at the base of 5 canyons with a dramatic view of an enormous red rock palisade and mountains and mesas was like no other experience I have had, and I grew up in Colorado! I would say this is one of the best places to visit within the whole four corners area and offers an immense amount of diverse scenery while you are able to experience once in a lifetime adventures. For anyone who thinks this is too expensive, I say, save your money and stop going to Disneyland, and instead treat yourself to experience the real "Cars" movie or ride first hand. I drove an ATV up into the mountains, went horseback riding, visited the car museum, rented a muscle car (Driven Experience) for a cruise down the highway and back, flew in a helicopter (by far the BEST adventure if you have to choose one, take this one), and still didn't do everything I wanted (Baja truck racing experience), but I will comeback one day and check that off my bucket list too. Take your family, go as a couple, go with friends, go alone, because it doesn't matter, you will not regret it! There is so much more you can do here that I didn't experience. Even the smallest rooms are amazing! I have traveled all over the world, and this is one of my all time favorite places. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: All the rooms have great views, very unlike going to the ocean, you can't go wrong here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write such a beautifully detailed review. One of the best compliments we could ever receive, is that we are one of your your all time favorite places, and we can not thank you enough for saying so.

Thank you so very much!

Littleton, Colorado, United States
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed at the Gateway Canyons Resort in August of 2013. It was one of the most beautiful resorts I have ever seen! The resort provides many different adventures to experience. Adventures from Archery to four wheeling, mountain biking, air adventures! It was amazing.
The service at the resort was excellent! The food was delicious!
It is definitely worth the drive out to Western Colorado. This resort is about an hour 1/2 west of Grand Junction. The Western Colorado Mountains are extremely beautiful!
Gateway Canyons Resort offers an American Automobile Museum with an abundance of classic American Automobiles! This museum in my opinion is as amazing as the Lourve! With every classic car that I saw and the stories that went with them, the museum definitely touched my heart and is a must see!
I would highly reccommend the Gateway Canyons Resort to everyone! I give it a 5 plus star rating! It is WORLD CLASS! One of the most amazing places on earth!

Room Tip: Stay in one of the rooms with the private hot tubs! It is a wonderful perk and worth every penny!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We are very pleased with your complimentary review, and your comment regarding our Auto Museum being as amazing as the Lourve, is much appreciated. You really could not have said it better. Please come back and experience more of what we have to offer.

Thank You!

Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My experience here was beyond my wildest dreams! The entire staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, the location is absolutely stunning and it was a great get away from the hustle of everyday life. Though it is a bit off the beaten path, I would highly recommend this location above all others. I'm already saving to go back there again. Robyn at the Paradox Grill, Mat in the Adventure Lodge, Michael at Entrada and Jake at the front desk made my experience not just good but fabulous. They remembered me and everyone in my party and made a point to get to know us. The adventures were amazing as was the auto museum.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Haley R
Thank you for your review. We always love when a guest mentions specific associates at the Resort and I will make sure they are aware of your kind comments. Although we are a bit off the beaten path, we believe that is why Gateway Canyons is so special and unique. We look forward to your future visit with us.

Respectfully,

colorado
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Have been there many times and stayed at the resort . Its such a pity...it could be so much better . With the fact that management has all but forced mortal men not to come and stay as room rates are outrageous , as an result of that the rooms sit empty not generating revenue means not all venues are operating , not all services available . It seems that lowering the rates to an digestable level would help to bring more visitors in...improve the bottom line . Dont believe me go by most any day ..most of the cars there belong to employees not guest . The fixed cost are constant.. maintenance , energy usage , pool chemicals , wages ( ect ) It has been an very vibrant place in the past and could be again with some down to earth pricing

Room Tip: never had a bad room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank ColoradoRandy
gatewaycanyons, Guest Relations Manager at Gateway Canyons Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Colorado Randy,
Thank you for your review and comments. As you stated, you have stayed at the Resort many times and may have noticed our recent additions and improvements. We are pleased with the addition of the new Kayenta Lodge, Palisade Casitas, Palisade Pools, Cantina, and Driven Experiences. With the new additions and improvements, prices have changed and are comparable to resorts similar to Gateway Canyons. You also mentioned not all services are available, however all of our outlets and amenities are open and operating daily. I invite you to take advantage of the special packages offered throughout the season and make sure to open any emails you might receive from Gateway. HINT - We offer some amazing specials that you do not want to miss.

Respectfully,
Director of Resort Lodging

Been to Gateway Canyons Resort, A Noble House Resort? Share your experiences!