“Horrible Experience”

GreenLeadersGold level
Edgewood, New Mexico
“Horrible Experience”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I went to a high school reunion in Summit County 08/10/2012. It was good to see everyone but the hotel experience was poor. I made reservation five months in advance and requested a top floor with king bed. When I arrived, the hotel staff had me on the bottom floor with double queen bed. After complaining that I requested top floor with king bed, the only room the staff said they had was on the second floor with double queen beds. I reluctantly took this room and when I got in the room it smelled horrible of smoke and it was dirty. I went back to the front desk and they acted as if it was an inconvenience and said they had no other rooms. I stayed since the reunion was at the hotel. Horrible experience and the entire hotel smelled of smoke. I was glad to leave and will never go back. Travelers beware of this place.

1 Thank henry c
Andy B, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Frisco - Breckenridge, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay for the high school reunion. We were very pleased to have you and your group here, as we were happy to cater your party in the banquet room and see all of the wonderful smiles around the ballroom. We would like to inform you that despite one's own choice, our hotel is most definitely a non-smoking hotel. Thank you again for your feedback and I have passed the room information on to our staff, as they now will be extra cognoscente of room requests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Denver
Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

When we received our room keys I went to the room only to find that someone else was already in the room. Needless to say I was not happy to have walked in on another guest so I quickly left the room and returned to the front desk to notify them of their mistake. They didn't really seem to care about what really happened and said "oh we will give you an even better room.". The next room was an inside room where the window looked into a hallway and the drapes didn't even shut the whole way, so back to the front desk. T the end of the day our room was fine, but getting there was a mess. I would have been pissed if someone else was allowed to walk into my room and potentially steal some of my valuables. This hotel didn't seem to care about their mistakes and had no real ways to account for the errors. We won't be returning and after seeing the other post prior to mine I wouldn't suggest that anyone who had anything valuable shouldn't stay here either!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dosh777
Andy B, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Frisco - Breckenridge, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you for your response regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn. I sincerely apologize for the room discrepancies you experienced during your stay. I can assure you it is not a situation we let happen here and by mistake, the computer system failed in technology and allowed the team members to check you into an unsuitable room. As our busy weekend would illustrate, the room availability we had was minimal, causing an unnecessary room move for you. I am happy to hear your actual room matched the correct standards of Holiday Inn and again, am sorry for the computer error that allowed such a mistake.

Travelers are raving about these Frisco hotels

Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed August 21, 2012

A group of us met at the hotel before we were able to check in to carpool to a running event. The gentlemen running the desk were courteous and helpful even though we weren't a guest yet, even loaning me a pair of scissors with a smile. I forgot to lock my car, and called the front desk for help and they seemed genuinely happy to go out and lock the car for me. When we checked in one of the rooms our group was given had issues and they quickly provided another room. The rooms were clean and very nice. Only downfall was no continental breakfast, but overall this was one of the most positive experiences I have had a hotel.

Hello,

Thank you for your wonderful response regarding your stay. It sounds like you had a great time and our team members were happy to help you. we look forward to your next visit!
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We booked this room for the location and price, but what we got was a newly remodeled, well staffed suprise! We stayed here a couple of years ago, and it was forgettable. Now it is beautiful! When we first walked in, " Will" at the front desk showed a level of professionalism combined with warmth and helpfulness that is rare. Actually, every member of the staff (including housekeeping and the restaurant staff) went out of their way to be welcoming, friendly and helpful. I travel a lot for business and pleasure, and stay in a wide variety of accomations domestic and international. It is shocking that one of my best experiences lately was a Holiday Inn!
It is remodeled from top to bottom, not a lipstick job. Rooms have all new furniture, beds, refrigerators, selection of pillows, new carpet, and the bathrooms are new, very nicely done and spotless. The hot tub was too hot for my taste, but the pool, fitness room and sauna were very nice, new and clean.
The location is not super close to downtown, but we walked it a couple of times no problem (It's a 5 min bike ride). The Summit County Free Shuttle picks up right outside and can get you anywhere, and the amazing RecPath is very close for biking or walking.
Thanks to Will, and all the other nice people we encountered. We'll be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Andy B, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Frisco - Breckenridge, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel. We really enjoy adding the "mountain feel" to Frisco with our new exterior and interior remodel. Our staff is excited to hear you enjoyed their service, as we always strive to offer the best experience to our guests and help make them feel at home. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel this past weekend, August 10 and 11th. There was a big high school reunion being held at this hotel for the weekend as well, so there were a lot of people around. We stayed at this hotel last summer and enjoyed our stay so much, that when we decided to do a little weekend away this past weekend, we decided to come back to this hotel. We were traveling from Iowa, so it took us about 9 hours to get here. Upon our arrival, check-in was very nice. We were checked in by Lorraine (which we later found out was the manager) and she was very nice and informative. Check-in was very quick and we were told how to get to our room. Well, Friday night, we had no problems at all. It was a GREAT stay and the hotel is very clean and nice...inside and out. It's in a good location too!
The problem that we had arose on Saturday around 6 pm. My husband and I had laid down late in the afternoon for a nap, because it pretty much rained off and on the whole weekend. Well we were rudely and abruptly awaken by a guy knocking on our door with a room key and then immediately opening it saying housekeeping as he was walking in. He gave us no notice, nor did he give us a chance to get to the door to answer it! The bad thing was....OUR DO NOT DISTURB SIGN WAS IN OUR DOOR, and he came right in anyway!!! REALLY?! Last time I checked, if I have a do not disturb sign on my door, it's because I don't want to be disturbed!! That is my right!!!!! As soon as he figured out we were in there, he immediately backed out apologizing. Thank goodness my husband and I weren't having an intimate moment (not to put to much info on here, but for real), or that one of us wasn't in the shower. He continued to do it up and down the whole hall, going in and out of rooms with barely any notice. I immediately called down to the front desk to speak with a manager and just happened to get Lorraine on the phone. I explained the situation and her response to me was that she had no idea what he was doing, but she would find out. Now keep in mind that when we had come back to our room after a morning/early afternoon out, housekeeping was pretty much finishing up in our hallway and this was around 2 pm. When the "housekeeping" guy named Adam was walking into our room and others, he had NO carts or anythind with him. To us, it seemed very weird...almost as if he was checking out rooms?! I have no idea really what he was doing, but at 6 pm on a Saturday night, seems a little weird to me. Especially since we had been in our room on Friday night during the same time frame and pretty much the whole evening and had never heard of it.
Well, my husband and I were of course not happy and on our way to the restaurant that was on location and stopped at the front desk first, to find out what was going on and what the reason was. On our way down to the front desk, as we had exited our room, we noticed that the 2 hotel rooms across the hall from us had their do not disturb sign up too, but that didn't stop him from bothering them and entering their room either.
When we arrived at the front desk, the man that had knocked on our door was standing there visiting with Lorraine and the other gentleman, Kyle who was working the front desk. They were goofing around, laughing, so we knew that there apparently had not been any issue. So we confronted Lorraine, wondering what the reasoning was for the experiences we had just gone through, and she couldn't say anything....just that it wouldn't happen again. We let her know that we were very upset and that we had our sign up in our door, meaning that we didn't want to be bothered. Now, if there would've been an emergency on our floor or someone was yelling for help, we by all means would've completely understood, but this was not the case at all. She said nothing to the sort...and quite honestly, had no response as to why he was going in and out of the doors. Well as we're standing there wanting reasons for this, the "housekeeping" guys speaks up and says it was him that had done it. We let him know that we didn't appreciate it and that he had no business in our room and he pretty much told us that he did and that he could come in "because what if somebody was dead in the room or needing help" were his exact words. He was just making stuff up, and you could tell it by his body language. He pretty much made it sound as if he had the right to come in our room, whether or not our sign was in our door. And instead of Lorraine, the "manager," jumping in to take over the situation, she just stood there and let him argue with us as to how he had the rights. She said NOTHING!!! I'm sorry, but if you're the manager, shouldn't you be stepping up to the plate to take care of the situation?! Shouldn't you be the one that is trying to make it right with us?! We got NOTHING from her!! We had no problem letting her know how unhappy we were with the whole situation and walked away, as we were headed to the restaurant onsite to have something to eat.
As we're walking away, the "housekeeping" man was laughing, thinking it was funny! I couldn't see the other's reactions because there was a wall blocking their response, but that just fired us up even more. You couldn't at least wait until we walked away to disrespect us?! So I said something to him again about how I didn't think it was very funny and that we were very upset about it. There was only one way to get in the restaurant, so they knew where we had gone. Well about 15-20 minutes into us eating in the restaurant, wouldn't you know that the "housekeeping" man walked in and was talking to another guy in there as he stared at our table a few times. Are you kidding me?!
So, by this time, my husband and I were beyond mad and we stopped back down to the front desk to get the name of a manager higher than Lorraine, because we didn't think this situation was handled well at all! Kyle is the one that helped us this time, handing us a business card of the general manager's name and number. He was very nice to us, and completely understood where we were coming from, and quite honestly, handled the situation with us and said more that Lorraine ever did!! Crazy!!
So we went back to our room and checked out Sunday morning around 9 am. Lorraine was again the one at the front desk, along with a guy named William. William is the one that checked us out, but Lorraine handed me an envelope with some "bonus points" to our honors card. She said that she had tried to find us in the restaurant the night before, but was unable to, so she had kept it behind the desk for us at check-out. My husband and I found this quite interesting considering that the "housekeeping" man had found us and they knew exactly where we were going? And really....bonus points?! Whoopty doo! That does nothing for the fact that you chose not to handle the situation brought to your attention. I honestly feel that she just knew that we had gotten the general manager's name, and thought she better do something to show that she tried to make things better. But quite honestly, she didn't....not at the time that it needed to be taken care of!! And why was he in and out of rooms anyway, at 6 pm when most people aren't in their rooms. Seems very strange to me? My thought....was he up to no good?! How would we know?! And how do they know either....especially since the "manager" had no idea what he was doing or why!! When we were checking out, he happened to be there again, but without a name tag on this time, so I'm thinking he wasn't on duty at the time....but followed us out the door as we are lugging our suitcases out trying to tell us he was sorry. Whatever dude! It's done and over with, the damage is done....don't apologize now after you want to stand and argue with us about how you have the right to be in our room at any time.....WRONG!!!
So just know that if you stay at this hotel and you have a do not disturb sign in your door, it doesn't mean that your door won't be opened or even that the sign will be honored!! So very frustrating!!! And as far as a "manager" goes, if you can't handle your employees and you have no backbone to say anything or to handle a situation, then maybe you're not in the right position to begin with....just a thought!!
Had it not been for this situation and for the uncomfortableness that we went through, I would've had great things to say about this hotel. After all, we had stayed here last summer and decided out of all the places we could've gone, to come back to this one.
The restaurant onsite has good food and a great staff! The hotel is clean, and the rooms were clean. We had a balcony room, and the only bad thing that I can say about our room is that there were cigarette butts out on the balcony floor that had not been swept up and a few of them, so clearly that part had not been clean. Otherwise, it was in a good location, easy to find, and a clean place. It's just unfortunate that we went through what we did, because we won't be back now becuase of it!! And I won't be afraid to tell others about our experience either, that's just wrong!!! I plan on calling the general manager tomorrow....I hope I can get somewhere with him.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are okay, pretty much a standard room with a balcony. There are no chairs out on the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank browneyez255
Our management staff is apologetic to your concerns during your stay and they were glad they were able to speak to you on the phone and in person to work through the problem together.
Goshen, Indiana
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We went to a wedding in Breckenridge and our family stayed at the Holiday Inn. The exterior of the hotel was reminded me of what a beautiful place we were in because of the "mountain feel." Our kids played in the pool every single day and us adults played cards on the pool deck, it was a great atmosphere for everyone. We stayed in one of the suites with the pullout couch and that was great for the kids to have their own separate area. Also loved how close it was to everything in Summit County!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Andy B, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Frisco - Breckenridge, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Thank you so much for your 5/5 review! We are so glad you had a great time and cannot wait for your next visit with us!
Grand Junction, Colorado, United States
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We have a reunion at the hotel once every 3 years for about 200 people, it includes breakfast and dinner, dancing and lots of fun. This year we got to enjoy the recent upgrades and changes in the building. The new lobby is beautiful and the access to the meeting and ball rooms with the ramp is much easier to navigate. The ramps are a wonderful idea. Andy, Director of Sales and Jeff, Director of F & B, were awesome!! The entire staff was wonderful and very responsive to our requests, all of which were taken care promptly and courteously. We had several of the participants mention that this was the best meal we have had there since we started having this function at the Holiday Inn in 1981. The hotel was clean and the employees seemed to be happy to be at work, which to me, is indicative of excellent management.

1 Thank Reba N
Andy B, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Frisco - Breckenridge, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear Reba, we are so glad you were able to stay with us for the reunion as well as have your banquet here. Andy and Jeff loved having you here and were pleased to take care of your group. We hope you all had a 5/5 time, as our team members love to read the reviews! Thank you!
-KD, Director of Marketing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frisco
Baymont Inn & Suites Lake Dillon
Hotel Frisco
#6 of 21 in Frisco
Comfort Suites Dillon
Hampton Inn & Suites Silverthorne

Been to Holiday Inn Frisco - Breckenridge? Share your experiences!