Wild Horse Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Trailhead Inn(Winter Park)
Crestview Place(Winter Park)
View Hotel
Elk Run Townhomes(Winter Park)
View Hotel
Valley Hi Motel(Winter Park)
View Hotel
All reviewsb bthe main househot tubcookie jarcomplimentary winebreakfast was amazinggourmet breakfasteach morninglog cabin feelmeadow creekwonderful weekenddietary needsdevil's thumb ranchback porchother guestsfraser valleyfood allergies
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 7, 2009

Really though, I am a very finicky consumer who demands value for my dollar. Especially in such demanding times.
My wife and I with family and friends stayed at the Wild Horse Inn for our wedding road trip. The WHI was the pinnacle of our trip preceded by stays in Utah, other Colorado cities, and concluded with stays in New Mexico and Arizona. There was honestly no other inn/hotel that could stand with the WHI, and that was a problem. With every stay after the WHI, our quest for home became stronger and stronger.
About the inn now.
We stayed in the Meadowcreek cabin. It was a 1 bedroom unit with a kitchenette and a sublime jetted tub. Now I am not talking about those cheesy tubs that rattle and rumble like your riding a motorbike, but an air jetted tub with jets in all the right spots. The space in the cabin was ample and well appointed with picturesque scenery abundant and very very clean.
Inside the main lodge.
This is where our guests stayed and what a welcoming comfy scene that was. When we initially arrived, there was nobody in the lodge but a single guest sitting on the leather sofa in front of the fireplace. What a scene I tell you! I could not have planned anything more perfect. The rooms in the lodge were very nice. If I were to stay in the lodge itself, I would most certainly choose the Buckskin room due to its royal size and a claw-foot tub. The other rooms were appropriate and well appointed. The only complaint I heard from my guests was the water-pressure in the lodge itself (which wasn't a problem in the cabin). Other than that, everyone couldn't stop raving on the quality of the overall stay.
Breakfast.
They were fresh and homey with a classy vibe. John prepared just what you'd want your mother to make every Sunday morning for the family. And Dace, who is the Executive Chef for their catering company puts together something on a whole other level. ie Eggs Benedict with crispy risotto cake and sun dried tomato hollandaise. He also prepared our fireplace dinner (wow, and you know it) and wedding cake (not too sweet with a delicate gourmet appropriateness) which we were all blown away by. And, if you like any of it enough to take a stab at it in your own kitchen, they will gladly send you the recipes.
All in all it was the stays of all stays. It's just like being at home but where they cook and clean and you just absorb. I would recommend staying around the winter season because the Winter Park area has a very good ski scene and the land surrounding the inn looks dazzling covered in snow. As far as the other seasons go, I don't know, but I will be sure to report if I do choose to come then. If you have doubt on the validity of my review, I advise you to take a look at my other reviews of the places I have stayed. They will not come close.
STAY HERE!

• Stayed: March 2009
Reviewed December 27, 2008

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Wild Horse Inn. John and Chris were very accomodating. Our room was cozy and the Inn was spotless. The meals were fantastic and the cookie jar was never empty! It is conveniently located just 10-12 miles from Winter Park Resort. It has the feel of an old mountain cabin with the amenities needed for today's guests. It is in a quiet wooded setting. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2008

My wife and I wanted to get married in the snow. We shopped all around Colorado and then found the Wild Horse Inn and just around the corner the Devil's Thumb Ranch. We opted to get Married at the Ranch, however stayed 3 nights at Wild Horse Inn. Best value for our $ out there. We rented the entire place and our guests to this day say it was the best vacation/wedding they have ever been to.

In the mornings the breakfasts are delicious and the afternoons they serve home made chocolate chip cookies, wine, tea and coffee.

The place is made of all golden timbers with a strong double-sided fireplace in the central great room. The cabins are roomy, beautifully decorated, with a sexy tub for late nights.

All-in-all this was the best place we could have stayed and the owners were so receptive to our requests and our needs. Their staff were courteous and always pleasant.

Stay and you will have the time of your life!

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2008

Wild Horse Inn is located in the most beautiful setting. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable. (We stayed in the main house - I did not see the inside of the individual cabins, but they were very closely situated and were really pretty from the outside) The gardens are beautiful and the outside decks are peaceful and a great place to sit outside and just enjoy reading, napping, writing, etc. The Inn is on a (mostly) paved, but very well-groomed road that is extremely quiet and peaceful, yet close to get to any activities. We stayed in a corner room and the cross breeze at night made for the best sleeping ever. The weather was perfect. In August, coming from the midwest, we thought we were absolutely in heaven - we traded the high 90's and miserable humidity of St. Louis for temps in the 50-60's!

The owners were away most of the time we were there and they had a lady subbing for them over the weekend. She was great - very present and helpful with activities and any requests.
The Inn is close to the villages of Fraser and Tabernash as well as on the same road to the Devil's Thumb Resort. We rode horses out of the stables at Devil's Thumb. It was very convenient to hike and mountain bike in the area. You could just fall out the front door and find some really gorgeous countryside.

We only had the "normal" breakfast one day out of five mornings as we left very early most days for rafting, fishing, etc. However, they were most accommodating and had coffee, juice,bagels and fruit set out in advance of even the earliest mornings. The one day we had the cooked breakfast it was delicious. The dining rooms are very comfortable with large windows looking out onto the property. The morning we left we had to leave before 6:00 and the owners (or house-elves, I don't really know!) had a to-go bag packed with some bagels and had a hot pot of coffee waiting for us.

(After the owners returned, they were a little scarce. I never met them and a couple of groups arrived for a stay while we were sitting in the living room and they had to hunt up the owners to check in. - Just be prepared)

We had a large group there and took up most of the rooms in the main building. It was perfect for that. Most of the other guests at the time were smaller groups, either couples or smaller families. The spaces seemed to accommodate any size group really well.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2008

My husband and mine's stay at the Wild Horse Inn was wonderful. John and Chris, the innkeepers, know how to make you feel like your one of the family. The accomodations were very cozy and comfortable: guest robes, homemade cookies, warm fireplaces, not to mention the fabulous breakfasts, etc... If you want a stay that is private, off the beaten path, quiet, and not at all touristy, but still close to those touristy activities, the Wild Horse Inn is the place for you.

Stayed: July 2008