“Clean and Spacious”

Mountain View Motor Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Fort Garland
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Very clean rooms, great location, centric to all points of interest in the area. Price was reasonable, nice restaurant within walking distance, great views all around. I would definitely recommend staying here..

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Jimmy10026

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Spotless hotel near many good attractions and restaurants. You cannot go wrong no matter which room you get. It's very clean and comfortable.
Some reviewers stated the hotel is overpriced, but I say it's worth it. As they say, "you get what you pay for" and this definitely holds true at the Fort Garland Motor Inn.

Room Tip: All rooms and lobby are spotless. Staff is fun and friendly.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank paul m
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I stayed at the Ft.Garland Motor Inn a couple of times on business with other employees of my company. If you don't get to know Anna, you could take her the wrong way. I should have written this a long time ago. Once you get to know her she really is quite a pleasant person and her and her husband take great pride in their hotel. As others have said, it is without a doubt the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in. We were there durning a cold winter and she had the fireplace going in the lobby when we returned from a hard day and of course she offered to make us coffee or tea, if we wanted it. She will direct you to the local establishments that she feels are worth going to and we were not disappointed with any of them. I have passed by many times since then and unfortunately my business has not led me to stay at the hotel again, but I would in a heartbeat. Once you get to know her, she and her husband are pretty amazing people and very talented, but I'll let future visitors find out for themselves if she's willing to share that side with you. My traveling partner Eric and I enjoyed it and have even stopped a couple of times to say hello or beeped as we went by, if we see either of them outside. She's probably going to be mad at me for only giving her a 4 out of 5 but, the T.V. channels were a bit sparse, but you cannot go wrong by staying at this hotel,

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Our stay at the inn was very pleasant. We were there on July 9 (without reservations); saw the 2 places in town and opted to try this one. I'm quite certain we've never stayed anywhere that pride in ownership was more obvious! This was by far the cleanest room we've ever had. I don't believe there's a dust bunny in the entire building! We would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This Motor Inn is in a great location - just west of the intersection of Rt. 160 and if you head south, you're in Santa Fe! When I lived in Alamosa, I had no reason to stay here, but now living elsewhere and having something to do in Ft. Garland, I decided to give it a try. My AAA Tour Book gave it Two Diamonds. I called and made a reservation. (When I arrived in Ft. Garland, I noticed another motel just down the road - I had not remembered that! - so be aware there are two to choose from.) The receptionist was very personable; she took me to the room to show me how clean it was, she'd cleaned it herself - then she explained that they had coffee in the lobby in the morning, but the best breakfast was right next door! From my time in the Valley, I was very aware of the restaurant next door - and indeed, it has a great breakfast! But for this trip, I would be needing supper, at which time she recommended the restaurant/pizza place across the street. I was also aware of that restaurant and already planned to eat supper there. (That will be another review!) There were postcards for sale at the front counter, so I bought a few, unloaded my things and went to the nearby Museum for the event there. Later, I returned to the motel to freshen up, and then crossed the street for supper. My time at the motel was interesting. After eating, I settled in the room for some T.V. They did not get my favorite station (FOX) but advertised Satellite TV and 4 HBO channels. They got Oxy, A&E and others, so I watched a Kevin Costner movie. The bed was large and comfortable and the water was hot. Once asleep, all was OK until 1 A.M. Whatever woke me up, I'm not sure, and then a loud air conditioner (I don't use a.c.) kept me awake for a time. As far as the room, it was nice-sized, on the first floor, just off the lobby. As I'd been told, in the morning, there was coffee in the lobby with creamer/sugar, but I planned to return to the Museum and then eat in Walsenburg after leaving The Valley. I packed my car and made sure my bill was settled, but didn't mention the loud a.c. as things were busy. As far as price, it was Memorial Day weekend and there are just the two motels in town. Also, it's The Gateway to the San Luis Valley plus enroute to New Mexico. And the Great Sand Dunes are 20 minutes away! Everyone should see them - I'm a huge fan! Some reviews I see are negative about the owner. Obviously that was who helped me - I tend to give folks the benefit of the doubt. All in all, this is a pretty good place. It wasn't as quiet as I'd been told (something woke me up), but I felt safe there. I know for a fact, having lived in The Valley for many years, the economy has been tough. For a small town, there are some great places to eat! I've already mentioned two of them - and I've heard the steakhouse on the west side of town is exceptional - and this, from a rancher friend of mine. So there you have it!

Room Tip: My room was near the lobby, not near an exit. I think that was probably the better location.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jane_g_co
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This place was immaculate! The owner takes great pride in providing a very clean hotel for her guests. The beds were quite comfortable and it was conveniently located.
There are a lot of bad reviews about the owner,,, I can see how these can come about. She has a very strong personality and I can see how people could find her offensive but honestly she was very sweet. She is so proud of her hotel and all of her hard work I could understand how she may get frustrated with people. She is 66 and still cleans all of the rooms herself and stays at the hotel from open to close. She personally walked me to my room and showed me where everything was. I would recommend this hotel very much!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MilColorado
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

The room and hotel were very clean and located well. I have no complaints about that..if i had any complaints it would be the manner in which the owner talked to us and thenever ending notes and signs on walls about hotel regulations will question your smoking habits. The hotel is non smoking (not a bad thing) we were asked three times if we were going to smoke in room as wellnas told not to. Then questioned if we were going to smoke outside in the parking lot. I was chased down the hall in front of other guests because I brought my own pillow. (Due to bed bubug scare this is not allowed)

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Michelle F
FortGarland, Manager at Mountain View Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2017

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. The hotel was sold and has been under new management as of March of 2017. We would love to have you back for a new experience anytime. Thank you for your feedback.

Been to Mountain View Motor Inn? Share your experiences!