“Owner's whim as to whether or not they'll "allow" you to stay there”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fort Garland
Mountain View Motor Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Fort Garland
Reviewed February 12, 2012

The last time I did a review, we had actually stayed the night at the Motor Inn.

This time we weren't even given a chance to book a room!

We live in the general area, but from time to time, we stay at a motel in Fort Garland since we are building a house and like to "get away" from the business of building.

My husband called over to book a room, identified who he was, since the owner DOES know who we are. Anna said straight out, "No, I don't want you renting my rooms, you smoke". Well, even though my husband IS a smoker, he has never smoked inside - including our own house. And he told her that. She said, "Well, you smelll like smoke." With that being said, he politely asked her if she wanted our business or not. She said, "No!"

So, we booked the Lodge down the street where the owners are pleasant and welcoming. And NO, we did NOT request a smoking room at the Lodge. As I said, my husband does NOT smoke inside - ever!

Shame on you, Anna!

Room Tip: No pets, no smoking, no bed bugs, no no no no no
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank FoodieByChoice

Reviewed December 10, 2011

I visit the area often and always choose the Fort Garland Motor Inn. Absolute best lodging in the area and always immaculately clean, comfortable and well managed by owner operators. After seeing a few complaints here about management I just had to laugh: Anna and Chris are simply wonderful hosts and go out of their way to ensure a warm and peaceful western lodging ambiance.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Don't be swayed by the comments of a couple of malcontents. The Inn is spotless and comfortable. My wife and I stayed several days and found the accommodations on a par with most large chain motels. It is always important that the room is clean and this is Anna's principal concern. The proprietor (Anna) is not weird, as alleged, but she is delightful, chatty, and personable. It is fortunate that she operates this place because it is an oasis in the brown, desolate desert that is the San Luis Valley. Book there with confidence.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2011

clean. cheap. homey. polite and accommodating staff. no complaints. would definitely go back.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Stayed in the hotel sometime last year and we stayed with our dog. The rooms were very clean, and basic. The beds were comfortable. The owner is strange, however; not very business like. I just called today 9-3-11 and wanted to stay with my daughter and dog again. The owner very abruptly said "NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT! She could have said "I'm sorry we don't accept pets." This response would have been more appropriate. Too bad, my family frequents the area and we won't do business at the Ft Garland Motor Inn.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank lsipes
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Anna was not as strange as was reported in previous reviews. My parents enjoyed her conversations and the rooms were very clean.

Room Tip: There are little foyers between some rooms for kids and parents to have privacy.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2011

My handicap uncle and I wanted to stay in Ft Garland after playing Golf at the Cattails golf course just up the road in Alamosa. Prior to looking for a motel there I had done my research here on-line. I had read all the crazy reviews about the Motor inn so I wanted to avoid it if possible. So I first tried to get a room at the lodge down the street from the motor in. Which was the only other motel in town. However due to it being 4th of July weekend they were all booked up. So I figured I would try motor inn for myself just to see what it was like. They wanted double the price the lodge would have wanted if they had had another room available. I also see what everyone else is saying. That woman is not very friendly. She is sort of snappy and just weird. I told her my uncle was handicapped and she wanted to know if he wore diapers. We didn't end up staying there. We drove on down to trails inn in Trinidad and got a room for
Only 65$ much better than the 100$ price Anna wanted at the motor in. If the lodge would have had a room we could have stayed there for only 50$. Wow!

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank Rain982
FortGarland, Manager at Mountain View Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2017

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. The hotel was sold and has been under new management as of March of 2017. We would love to have you back for a new experience anytime. Thank you for your feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Garland
Inn at the Spanish Peaks
The Cuchara Inn
The Cuchara Inn
#1 of 2 in Cuchara

Been to Mountain View Motor Inn? Share your experiences!