“An oasis in the desert”

Mountain View Motor Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Fort Garland
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Don't be swayed by the comments of a couple of malcontents. The Inn is spotless and comfortable. My wife and I stayed several days and found the accommodations on a par with most large chain motels. It is always important that the room is clean and this is Anna's principal concern. The proprietor (Anna) is not weird, as alleged, but she is delightful, chatty, and personable. It is fortunate that she operates this place because it is an oasis in the brown, desolate desert that is the San Luis Valley. Book there with confidence.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 12, 2011

clean. cheap. homey. polite and accommodating staff. no complaints. would definitely go back.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Stayed in the hotel sometime last year and we stayed with our dog. The rooms were very clean, and basic. The beds were comfortable. The owner is strange, however; not very business like. I just called today 9-3-11 and wanted to stay with my daughter and dog again. The owner very abruptly said "NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT! She could have said "I'm sorry we don't accept pets." This response would have been more appropriate. Too bad, my family frequents the area and we won't do business at the Ft Garland Motor Inn.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank lsipes
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Anna was not as strange as was reported in previous reviews. My parents enjoyed her conversations and the rooms were very clean.

Room Tip: There are little foyers between some rooms for kids and parents to have privacy.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2011

My handicap uncle and I wanted to stay in Ft Garland after playing Golf at the Cattails golf course just up the road in Alamosa. Prior to looking for a motel there I had done my research here on-line. I had read all the crazy reviews about the Motor inn so I wanted to avoid it if possible. So I first tried to get a room at the lodge down the street from the motor in. Which was the only other motel in town. However due to it being 4th of July weekend they were all booked up. So I figured I would try motor inn for myself just to see what it was like. They wanted double the price the lodge would have wanted if they had had another room available. I also see what everyone else is saying. That woman is not very friendly. She is sort of snappy and just weird. I told her my uncle was handicapped and she wanted to know if he wore diapers. We didn't end up staying there. We drove on down to trails inn in Trinidad and got a room for
Only 65$ much better than the 100$ price Anna wanted at the motor in. If the lodge would have had a room we could have stayed there for only 50$. Wow!

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank Rain982
FortGarland, Manager at Mountain View Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2017

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. The hotel was sold and has been under new management as of March of 2017. We would love to have you back for a new experience anytime. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed May 10, 2011

Everything eveyone has said is true. I live in the area and had to stay there one night when our water pipes froze.

The place is clean, immaculate, pristine. The owners' take pride in the appearance of the property.

However, the owners do have an odd way about them that could put off most guests. They ask questions they probably shouldn't and get a little weird before you even check in.

The day I stepped in the door and said I'd like a room, the first question I was asked was if I had pet. (no) The second question was if I smoked (no) then I was told I could not bring any of my own linens or pillows into the motel because of wide-spread bed bug problems from other areas (well, if I am staying at a hotel, why would I bring my own linens???)

FINALLY, I was given a slip to fill out. Then I got grilled about why I needed a room if I lived in the area (frozen pipes, lady).

After all of that, I paid, got a key and went to the room. The rooms are CLEAN, but are the average hotel decor, etc. Note: The rooms do NOT have hair dryers in them.

My husband joined me later in the night and also got the weird looks when he arrived by another vehicle and used the side door to come in.

Other than the owners' esoteric manner, the stay provided heat, hot water and showers + a coffee pot for AM coffee and a relatively sound sleep.

Motel is located next to liquor store, several restaurants within walking distance or 5 minute drive.

Note: they do NOT allow pets and I believe the entire motel now is non-smoking

To the person who said there is no cell phone service, ATT just put up a new cell tower since they bought out AllTel and we have great cell phone reception in the area now.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FoodieByChoice
Reviewed January 27, 2011

We were traveling with friends and stayed in this motel. I admit we were nervous after reading the reviews but motel rooms are limited so you take what you can get. Having said that, we found Anna to be very engaging and we were NOT the least bit insulted by her keeping an 'eye' on us. She was funny and chipper and full of good tips and stories. We found ourselves laughing and almost seeking her out for more stories. Sorry some people are so sensitive or are looking for something to complain about. We would stay with Anna again in a heart beat.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank PicassoT

Been to Mountain View Motor Inn? Share your experiences!