See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 7, 2018 via mobile

The only good thing I can say about this hotel is that the breakfast is superb. The room was small and very crowded. The card key lock failed to unlock the door several times in spite of keeping it away from phones and metal objects. The heater did not keep the room very warm. Carpet was very dirty. Dog fee was the highest that I paid anywhere. And the final bill was not correct. I just couldn’t stay another night there and checked out early... not a good experience and I stay at a lot of choice hotels.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed September 28, 2018

I really am not one to write poor reviews, but this place was absolutely unbelievable. Having paid roughly $90 for the night, I knew we weren't going to get a 5 star hotel. However, I did expect carpet that had been swept in the last year, towels without stains, a toilet that actually flushed, a door that shut properly, and so on. We actually slept in our van because the room was that disgusting. I felt very unsafe in the van given the clientele of the hotel, but it was really the better choice.

We should have been clued in as we checked in, but we had already paid for the room as we booked online. The cops were there taking a report for stolen property, the cop was then looking for a regular of the hotel who had felonies, a drunk man at the desk kept asking when the bar opened while dropping f-bombs, as the manager repeatedly told him to return to his room. We spent a total of 5 minutes in the room, as we only used the bathroom. During this time we had multiple people knocking on the door, looking for so and so.

Once we left in the morning, I kept telling my husband that I was in shock that we just paid for that. I wanted to take pictures of the hallways, interior, etc., but did not want to get my phone out at any point outside of our room, feeling as though we could be robbed at any moment. And was in such a rush to get in and out of that room without touching anything that I didn't get any photos.

Seriously, if you have ANY standards for a hotel stay (not high standards, literally ANY standards) do not spend your money at this place!

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2018 via mobile

I placed a reservation as we were driving to this place. When we checked in I told my husband this is definitely not the best place we have stayed but it’s only one night. We went to the bar for a drink and Mike, the bartender, was awesome. We had a great time meeting new people. As for the room, the bed was very comfortable. Apparently they are renovating and the bed is new. We caught breakfast at the very end and they still had hot food and the service was friendly. If you look at this place cosmetically you won’t like it. If you base it on the staff, from the front desk to the cleaning ladies, it’s the best place to stay. We would stay here again.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2018

This was hands down the worst hotel experience I've ever had...and we didn't even end up staying there! it is hard to type this out because I hate to mentally re-live this experience. About 2 1/2 weeks before our trip we went on-line to book a room for a Saturday night. On Expedia I typed in the date we needed a room for. It brought up the Clarion room at a really good price so we booked it. Our big mistake - and it was a doozy, let me tell ya - was that we didn't open and read the confirmation we received. it turned out it was not for the correct date. i can not blame the Clarion for that....but the way they handled the situation when we got there was pathetic. The young man at the desk was worthless. The people at Expedia called the hotel twice to verify that the hotel had received the money, but for the wrong date. The amount sent to them was $30 less than they wanted for a Saturday night (the date Expedia had switched us to was a Sunday), and we offered to pay the difference, but good old Bard, the manager, wasn't having any of that. He had are money, and he wasn't giving it back or giving us a single dollar credit. Between him and the manager at Expedia they basically jerked us around for 2 hours while every other hotel room in town was being rented out around us. They clearly didn't care at all that we were in desperate need of a place to stay. Eventually Expedia admitted that they were not actually trying to help us find a room unless we used them to book it again. We were adamant about not giving them more business as a reward for messing up our first reservation, and we were certainly not going to pay full rate on a room at the Clarion when they already had a big chunk of our money. Learn from our error and always check your confirmation carefully. Better yet, use Trip Advisor to find good hotel reviews and then deal with the hotel directly. I have recently been told that many third party reservations go bad. Of course, it was Bard that said that, and I don't trust him any further than I could throw him.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2018

This is a letter I wrote to the General Manager at the Clarion several weeks ago. So far no response....

July 30, 2018

Bard Selwyn
Clarion Inn
3836 East Mulberry
Fort Collins, CO 80524

Dear Mr. Selwyn,

My wife and I stayed at the Clarion Inn on Saturday night, July 28, Confirmation #22741360. We booked with a phone call and received a ‘special’ discounted rate because we are AARP members. I’ve just looked at my credit card statement and it shows a charge of $132.04.

When we first checked in, we were impressed with what we saw.....a swimming pool, breakfast room, etc. It was only after we were given our room number that we discovered that we were in a very old and very funky section....not really part of the main hotel. The room was not clean. My wife loves to take baths and really needed one that night after a stressful day. She had to clean hair out of the tub before using it. The carpet felt old and in need of deep cleaning. There was no facial tissue available. The paint was peeling in the bathroom and other places.

When looking at “Clarion Inn Fort Collins” on the internet, I’m shown pictures of what is actually the Quality Inn. Yes, the Clarion has access to the amenities, but you have to walk a block through a badly kept parking lot to get there. This amounts, in my opinion, to false advertising.

We wonder what recourse we have in this case. Obviously we have already paid for the room. Are you able to offer us a refund? We are planning to post a negative review, of course. Getting some financial relief would might help put your hotel in a somewhat better light.

Thank you.