“Met our needs.”

Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Fort Collins
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Met our needs.”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We picked this hotel for 2 reasons. One-location to town, and two-the bike library was on site.
For those unfamiliar with FOCO, the bike library provides free bikes all over town. The hotel gave us their website, we signed out 2 bikes, got the keys and rode everywhere for 3 days.
The hotel location is excellent! Right on College Ave. it took us 10 minutes to ride to the city center. We were also very close to Colorado State University's campus which is spread out in every direction from the hotel. Check in was quick and pleasant. We were directed to our second floor room in a building clear across the parking lot. Because we had no car, I asked for a luggage trolley or help up to our room. Unfortunately, they had no cart and no-one to help us. This was tough dragging our stuff across the parking lot, up a flight of stairs, down a couple more stairs before we got to our room. Note to owner: invest in a luggage trolley, please! Corridor hallways looked worn, dark and dirty. Could use an update!
Once in our room, we found the furnishings pleasant, clean and quiet. The bed was very comfortable and the mini fridge was a nice addition. No complaints with the shower and water pressure.
Breakfast was good!. Nice to have scrambled eggs and blueberry waffles. Front desk staff went out of their way to show us bike routes and places to eat. We liked Austin's for dinner. Also, make reservations to visit a brew pub. Besides fantastic bike routes, FOCO has craft beers and breweries. My husband loved New Belgium's tour.
Forgot to mention the nice indoor pool and hot tub. Great after riding all day.

Room Tip: We had a corner room in the back which was quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DiscriminatingDiva08

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The rooms are nothing special but the location is awesome. Our son is a CSU student and this hotel is so convenient! It is a nice walk into town and all the restaurants. The pool and hot tub are in a huge sunny area and the staff is really nice. If you are looking for luxury this is not the place but if you want a clean bed and a good hot breakfast this is the place to go. The only bummer is during CSU events, move in, parents weekend etc...they really jack the price up.

Room Tip: The back building is way better.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank LfromMN
Grove City, Ohio
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed only one night, but would have been happy to stay longer. Our room was updated and very nice. We stayed in a suite for a very reasonable price. The location was great; only a short walk to the downtown area. Courteous staff, good service. Nice pool area.

Room Tip: We liked our suite and it was in the back building, away from the street.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MaryH_GroveCity
Santa Fe, NM
Reviewed August 19, 2012

It used to be that you could rely on Best Western to have high quality facilities - but no more. For a motel next to a major college campus they could have done much better. I will start with the positive: they offer free bottled water, and the rooms have a large fridge with a microwave. The pillows are nice and they offer lots of them; with great towels, a full-length mirror and small safe for valuables. The desk and chair are nice. The location is great - just across the road from Colorado State University (CSU). Now the BAD: our room was supposed to be non-smoking, but as with many low-quality motels the rule is not inforced and instead they spray chemicals to try and cover it up. Don't they know it does not work? The TV is small and antiquated with a limited channel selection. The motel and the rooms feel old and in need of a major upgrade. The parking is crowded with limited manueverability. The front desk was understaffed on a busy CSU week. The carpet in the room was dirty. The room had limited electrical outlets, most behind the headboard. The window sill in the bathroom was dirty. The rooms were noisy at all hours of the night; we had to run the room air conditioner all night to try and downed out the noise. Bottom line: greatly overpiced!

Room Tip: Look elsewhere.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Schofield1956
BWUIHotelManager, General Manager at Best Western University Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
I'm sorry you had an unpleasant stay, people who smoke in hotel rooms are so inconsiderate! In the summer we're not always able to allow our ozone machine a full 24 hours to remove the smell. We try to discourage people from smoking by tacking on an extra $200 per night if someone does smoke in the room. This allows us to put extra time and cleaning into the room and also make some refund adjustments if needed in cases where we can't get the room perfect again before the next guest comes. Please give me a call and we'll work out a credit for you. Thank you for our kind points, and I appreciate you letting us know where we can improve, we are listening. In fact 37" flat screens will be in the rooms before December and we've almost completed adding in extra outlets on the nightstands for easy access for cells phone next to the beds. Another great thing about December, it's quiet and the rates are nice and low!
Napa
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The service at this Best Western exceeded our expectations. Rachael was very attentive! The room was dated, with an older A/C unit, which was critical for each night of our stay as temps were over 90 every day. We only used the breakfast service one morning, and it seemed minimal. One positive was the discount offered to CSU parents- 15% a night added up and saved us over $100 during our stay.

Room Tip: Rooms in front of hotel better than those in back. Back bldg. has two floors with no elevator.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Jackson, Alabama
Reviewed August 3, 2012

wow...I stayed a week at this establishment and decided a summary was in order. The place is dated and in need of a makeover. The air conditioner circulated the air, but only marginally 'conditioned' (cooled) the air. Other people complainted of a musty odor in their rooms.

The internet was appalling. It was supposed to be 'secure' with a password, but my low tech lap top readily connected and after a few minutes, I was kicked off repeatedly. The front desk staff gave me a number to call tech support. Hello? Am I missing something here? Isnt that a responsibility of the hotel personnel? I wasn't about to whiz away my cell phone minutes or be charged out the yang on the hotel phone to do their job! Anyway, I noticed some improvement after I complained to the front desk staff (took a few days, though). But it still wasn't secure.

Next--my wife went to the front desk to exchange some dollars for quarters to wash some clothes. The response: there is a change machine in the washing room. My sweetie's response: no there isn't. Hotel's response: let me talk to my manager....*after some crickets chirped*....the manager came forward and told my wife to go up the road to a bank!

I could bring up a few other notations...like the breakfast, but I think this is enough..in order to get my assessment across.

Summary of this hotel? POS. Needs to improve on hospitality and quality.

Room Tip: Get a ground floor; no elevators
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RoadGhost
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 2, 2012

You get exactly what you'd expect from a Best Western. Reliable, friendly, and an adequately comfortable room. Breakfast is ample with surprising variety (oatmeal and egg bars with associated toppings, variety of breads/muffins, yogurt, fruit, make your own waffles). Friendly and cheerful young staff at the front desk. Even the night guy was amenable to helping me carry my bags from my room to catch my shuttle, and giving me some breakfast before the 6am start time. On-site laundry is a major benefit, as is complementary wireless internet. Decent cable TV channels. Excellent access to CSU campus- literally across the street. Located on the "main drag" in Ft. Collins, easy walking access to town center, shops, and restaurants.

Rooms in front and rear building were a little different. I'd say my room in the front building was more spacious, with much more counter space in the bathroom. Beware first floor rooms in the rear building that are adjacent to to the street (ones on the parking lot side should be fine)- you are uncomfortably close to a well-travelled sidewalk, so privacy is impossible unless you close the blackout curtains.

Room Tip: My front bldg room was a bit nicer/newer, but not sure if that is true across the board.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business