“Less 'perfect' than I expect from Homewood Suites”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Fort Collins
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Fort Collins
Nashua, New Hampshire
“Less 'perfect' than I expect from Homewood Suites”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel twice in a two-year period, with the most recent being last month. In each case I found the personnel to be very friendly and the facilities pleasantly situated, yet a few little things went wrong.

First, the things that went right during my stay last month. The front desk personnel welcomed me warmly upon check-in, which was completed professionally and efficiently, and my Hilton HHonors Gold member cookies and water were awaiting me in the room. I was given a clean, quiet room with a view of the mountains, per my request--I appreciated this very much. The hotel's location is quiet yet it is close to restaurants and shopping. The hot breakfast was tasty, and the staff members did manage to keep up with the demands of feeding a full house, which can be a real challenge. Plus, having the pantry snacks available 24 hours/day is a real plus.

So now for the little things that weren't quite right. I rack up at least 16 stays in Hilton family hotels a year, with many of them being in Homewood Suites. My "average" stay in these hotels is absolutely perfect, so when things aren't quite right I'm a bit surprised.

During my trip last month, I needed to use the room to work one morning. I tried to access the wireless network and it told me that there were "too many people logged in, try back again later." Having a wireless system that cannot accommodate all guests in a hotel that caters to business travelers strikes me as a really bad idea.

While I was working, the housekeeping staff left a note under the door saying that if I wanted my room cleaned I should contact the front desk by 2:00. So upon completion of my work at 12 noon I phoned the front desk. After 24 rings, someone answered and said they'd be happy to tell the housekeeping staff that they could clean my room now. When I returned at 8 p.m., however, the room had not been touched.

Upon checkout, the front desk person asked whether my stay had been perfect. I said that they had a very nice hotel but also told her of these two problems. The front desk person said that I should have called down about the internet and she would have "kicked other people off of the network." Really? If I was one of those other people, I'm not sure how I would have felt about having my connectivity terminated. She didn't address the room cleaning situation at all. I would have felt a lot better if I had been offered some Hilton HHonors points or even some cookies as compensation, but I was not offered anything.

I stay in Ft. Collins at least twice a year, and I seem to have better luck at the Hilton on Prospect St., a couple of miles north.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Dr-Jill-from-NH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Rifle, Colorado
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We wanted all our family to stay together when my daughter got married in Fort Collins. Heather and April made us feel welcome and we really enjoyed our stay. Thank you April and Heather!
We would definately stay here again. Also enjoyed the warm chocolate chip cookies as we were leaving in the afternoon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DFleming1221
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I have stayed at many Homewood Suites around the nation and this has to be the best one by far. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Most of whom had graduated from Colorado State with a degree in hotel management and it showed in their professionalism. The hotel was completely full during our stay but you never would have known it. The rooms were very clean and the housekeeping staff was experienced. The lobby had a Colorado State graduation theme with large colorful severings of lemonade and limeade. A nice lady from the kitchen staff came by our table and checked on us regularly during breakfast. The area has many restaurants close by and this location is close to shopping centers. Forget about staying in Old Town, this hotel is truly great value and is worth a visit to see what a great hotel is all about. Ritz Carlton could learn a few things from the management here!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
KRSFORTCOLLINS1, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Fort Collins, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
To our loyal guests "turfclan".....we cannot thank you enough for taking the time to comment on your recent stay here at The Homewood Suites Fort Collins. We are extremely honored for you to call us 'Best Homewood Suites in the USA". We actually strive for that designation as Hilton does recognzie it's top hotels each year as we finished last year ranked #12 out of over 300 Homewood Suites nationally.

We greatly appreciate your business and will make sure all of our team reads your comments as we continue to try and improve on all aspects of our operation and to be officially ranked #1. It has been our pleasure to serve you and we look forward to seeing you again whenever your travels may bring you back to the Northern Colorado region. Kent Stine, GM & Staff
Tucson
Reviewed May 13, 2012

We had a very sad and serious purpose to our trip to Fort Collins Colorado to visit the Colorado State Veterinarian College with our dog who needed a life prolonging procedure not available closer to our home so we traveled 1000 miles each way. The College has relationships with many of the hotels in the area but we were delighted we picked the Homewood. Our first floor room close to an outside exit and the designated dog yard was very convenient. The room itself was fantastic - living room kitchen and separate bedroom gave us the amenities of home. I can't say enough about the accommodations and the extras - exercise machines and heated indoor pool and jacuzzi and laundry. Breakfast everyday and light dinner and cocktails M-Th spared us the hassle of finding dog friendly restaurants for several meals. The staff were very gracious especially housekeeping and the food servers.The location was terrific as well lots of nice walking area including ponds and driving around Ft Collins from there was easy.

Room Tip: We had a King Suite which I believe most of the rooms are and recommend the first floor for convenie...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado
Reviewed May 6, 2012

My husband and i recently spent two nights at the Homewood Suites in Fort Collins, Co. From the moment we walked in the front door, we felt welcomed. The lobby/breakfast area is large and comfortable. Our room included a well-appointed kitchenette with heating elements, microwave, refrigerator, microwave, and coffeemaker. The suite had two televisions, one in the living area, and one in the bedroom. Both were flat screen, worked well and had cable. There was also a DVD player in the living room area. The seating in the living room was comfortable, with a chair and sofa sleeper. The bathroom had a separate vanity in the bedroom, so two people could easily get ready at once. The bed was comfy, with several pillows. The room had it's own central heating and air conditioning. Our room was very clean overall. The breakfast was well-prepared and there was enough variety to please most everyone. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RLynnC
Brenham Texas
Reviewed April 25, 2012

My husband had to travel to Ft.Collins for business and since our son lives there as well, I decided to tag along. We had a wonderful room with a king bed, living area, and kitchen. First of all, let me say, everything was sparkling clean. I was very surprised to find out this hotel is 5 years old because you would have thought it was in the first few weeks of being opened. Everyone, from the front desk clerk to the assistant manager to housekeeping was friendly and warm, smiling all the time, and very courteous. I have not found that hardly anywhere in the last 10 years of traveling. Front desk clerk was knowledgable and kind, giving suggestions and even offering the best way that I could utilize the shuttle if I wanted to shop. We will ALWAYS stay here for future trips to Fort Collins. The room had everything we needed, there is an excellent breakfast buffet daily, and a one entree dinner offered 4 nights a week. We love it, no doubts about staying in Fort Collins ever again.

Room Tip: I was so happy with mine, I can't tell you anything else, I was on the 2nd floor, no issues, no...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BrenhamTexasGramma2
ColoradoYankee, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Fort Collins, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
It has been our pleasure............thank you so much for your kind comments and choosing The Homewood Suites Fort Collins. It always puts an extra "bounce" in our steps when we are recongized like this and your comments will be shared with our entire team. We are so glad you found our accommodations and amenities exceptional, and most importantly the service you received from our team as this is our # 1 goal. Thank you once again, and we look forward to serving you on your next visit to the Northern Colorado region. In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance please feel free to contact myself directly. Kent Stine, General Manager
Cheshire, Connecticut
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We stayed at the Homewood Suites for three nights and everything was fine, more than fine actually. Everything in the room worked (the TV was a bit complicated, but it did work), everything was clean, the room was spacious, the kitchen area was well-equipped. The hotel amenities were more than expected with a clean pool area complete with a hot tub and plentiful towels, a game room, an exercise room, a business area. The staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was better than most with a number of healthy options beyond the usual eggs and sausage. The dining area was also spacious and clean -- we didn't feel we needed to rush through our breakfast so another group could have our table. We didn't try their complimentary suppers, but I took a look at their chicken and wild rice and would gladly have stayed at the hotel to eat that supper rather than go out to the restaurant we had committed to. Next time we're in Ft. Collins I think we'll plan to eat supper in the hotel. The only very slight drawback was that the front desk couldn't give us directions to the state park outside the city we were hoping to visit (Lory) and there were no helpful maps for the vicinity at the desk.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family