“Nice place for a bath!”

The Armstrong Hotel
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Fort Collins
Reviewed February 5, 2012

The Armstrong Hotel is a very charming place in the Old Town section of Fort Collins. The size of the room was perfect. There was a separate bathtub big enough for two with an option for a rose petal bath. The bathroom and full walk-in shower were right next to the bath and the bed was a huge king size four poster. We also had a 48 inch TV at least and the room had a fridge and microwave too. There is a Jazz Club in the basement and a very quaint elevator that makes you wait for the door to close before you are allowed to push the floor number. The hotel is surrounded by fabulous coffee shops and restaurants. We went to the Melting Pot (the best!) and Sonny Lubick's Steakhouse (skip it!). Coffee was at Starry Night and Mugs and there is also a dessert place called the Chocolate Cafe. Much, much more!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Armstrong Hotel

Reviewed February 2, 2012

We were back for another stay at the Armstrong and had an excellent time. Since our last stay they've added a lounge called "Ace Gillett's". It's a great place for a Martini or a bite to eat. We stayed in room 200 which is a King Suite and really enjoyed ourselves. I would recommend staying in a suite as they are usually only a few dollars more but are much larger than their regular rooms. Don't forget to grab some bikes from the front desk and check out the breweries. Odells is always a great time.

1  Thank BVGNewJersey
Reviewed January 24, 2012

We found this hotel online and thought it sounded nice. We were in town taking care of some family medical matters. I called and the people were helpful over the phone. When we showed and checked in we went to walk to our room. It was an older room, has no AC (not sure how often you need it there) and had some antique furniture. It was a honeymoon suite. I can say for sure if it were my honeymoon and this is what I showed up to, I would be let down. It was a little worn out. Antiques are great, unless they feel more like old things picked up garage sales and put in there. All this though, I can get past...

We had left our things in the car and went to go get them. While waiting in the hall we heard a lot of noise. It was the housekeeping staff. A group of t-shirt and jeans wearing college age kids. They were complaining about a guest. "I hate when people..." is the line being shouted from one to another. It didn't stop there, they carried on and on. Mind you, they had seen us standing in the hall waiting on the elevator.

We let the young girl at the front desk know. She seemed oblivious. "Oh really, wow, we have had lots of complaints on them today..." REALLY??? She literally laughed and said "They must be having a bad day."

We let her know we wouldn't be staying. This place is not for someone who wants a clean room. It's not for someone who wants friendly or professional staff. I couldn't have been more let down by the whole experience. I spent a total of about a month in Fort Collins, and stayed at a handful of places, I suggest you find a cheaper room at chain on the south side. New hotels off Harmony. The Cambria Suites is where we went after being let down at the Armstrong.

6  Thank showaltermt
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I selected a suite. On the website you get to pick which suite you want. I called THREE times to confirm the suite and that the room we picked was pet friendly. The 'lost' our reservation. Tried to put us in regular room (ridiculously small). I had to fight with the owners to get them to honor our contract. Luckily I had a printed copy with me. Everything about the suite was cheap. Owners rude. Didn't bother to make any amends when it was their mistake. Was lectured by front deck about the hotel being a quiet hotel, but hotel was filled with college kids partying all night. Remnants of their night left in the hallway all day on Sunday. Horrible experience.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Stacey N
Reviewed January 4, 2012

The Armstrong Hotel is simply wonderful - it's in a perfect location within strolling distance of the town. The rooms are gorgeous - spacious and quaint. The staff there is fantastic and wonderful. Iove the hotel. It's highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the Olive Street side for a quieter night.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2012

The Armstrong is in the heart of old town Fort Collins. There is a coffee shop in the same building along with a wonderful deli/eatery called Choice City Butchers which I also recommend. This is my second time staying here with my wife. We both love the comfortable beds and the stylish renovations. The well done choices of colors, tiles, and fixtures are a combination of new and old and make for a fun visual experience. As others have mentioned, the noise can be a problem here - the streets are directly under the exterior room windows, there is a train that regularly cuts through the town, you can hear people walking in the hallways and the old heating system is steam heat which pings and pops throughout the night. Having said that, I am good sleeper and it didn't bother me much. We've stayed here twice and would stay again. Say hi to Oreo, the friendly cat that lives in the lobby.

Room Tip: The interior rooms may be better protected from noise.
1  Thank blackbeerben
Reviewed December 11, 2011

We stayed at the Armstrong Hotel in Sept and had a wonderful time. There seemed to be few guests and it was fairly quiet. I picked an interior room hoping to avoid street noise, but we had to contend with the ventilation equipment and a 24/7 stairwell light outside our window. Next time, I'll pick a room off Olive Street.

We took out 2 free cruiser bikes and had a blast biking on the Spring Creek bike path. We walked to New Belgium for the tour (good thing -- 9 beers in 90 minutes = no driving) and enjoyed Tasty Harmony, Stuft burgers, Snooze and Lucille's. All of these restaurants are within easy walking distance of the Armstrong, so we just left our car in the convenient parking out back.

The front desk staff was very helpful and sent an emergency fax for me. Oreo the cat also greeted me in the a.m. -- right outside our door. I even liked the shower gel, lotion and soap. The big shower bottles are eco-conscious and I loved the pine-y smell. We'll be back!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple