“Great Raw Oysters for Colorado!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Jax Fish House and Oyster bar
Ranked #12 of 590 Restaurants in Fort Collins
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Cajun & Creole, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Mountain
Description: Named "Best Restaurant in 2011", Jax Fish House & Oyster Bar has taken Fort Collins by storm. Serving up the freshest, most sustainable seafood alongside the highest quality, farm-fresh local produce, Jax has quickly become an Old Town favorite. Jax happy hour never disappoints, with the ever-lively Oyster Bar and a selection of locally brewed craft beers & handcrafted cocktails. With so much fresh fish, they ought to change the city's name to "Port" Collins!
Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
“Great Raw Oysters for Colorado!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

The happy hour $1 East Coast oysters is hard to beat in a land-locked state. Oysters were of excellent quality and very tasty! I highly recommend Jax.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Windsor, Colorado
“Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

My husband and I decided on the spur to go to Jax for dinner on a Friday night. We didn't have a reservation and the wait was 45 minutes, but we were able to secure a spot at the bar. We were told we could eat dinner there so that was great news. I have celiac so I asked the bartender what dishes where gluten free and he said "pick a fish or meat you like and we'll make you a gluten free meal". I did exactly that -- I chose the swordfish -- and had a wonderful meal. I was amazed that the staff was so accommodating. My husband had the sea bass and substituted gnocchi for potatoes, which they did without any problems what so ever.

• Visited September 2013
TX
“Fresh, exciting seafood in NoCo? YES!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I never thought I'd order raw oysters in a completely landlocked state, but Jax convinced me to trust in the miracle of jet-powered flight. This place has the freshness, the atmosphere, the menu and the service that will keep you coming back. In fact, we couldn't stay away from the happy hour menu two nights in a row on our brief trip to Ft. Collins in August 2013.

Any hardcore seafood fan wants to know first about the oysters. One word: Yes! On our visits we went with the happy hour (4-6 pm weekdays, all night Mondays) East Coast oysters for $1/each -- which, our waitress informed us, were sourced from near the same waters as the $3/each oysters. Ours were ideal: sweet, toothsome, briny and silky, tasting and smelling of nothing but the salty sea, expertly prepared at the raw bar in the front room and complimented with two simple sauces (freshly mixed cocktail sauce or mignonette), or just a squeeze of lemon. Not huge, but for $1/each they were a great deal. We re-ordered twice.

Another starter worthy of double-ordering is the fried calamari. Yeah, the mozzarella cheese sticks of seafood, right? Not here. The tender mollusks were lightly coated and flash fried so they hit our plates at their sweetest, crispiest moment, and the accompanying mango-chili mojo will have you dragging your finger across the plate.

It was hard to save room for the other HH menu features but we persevered, with happy results. The green gumbo was a health-conscious riff on the traditional butter-and-flour based stew. Bright collard greens sparked the clear, savory broth that didn’t overwhelm, and in a cup (also available in a bowl) we encountered plentiful Andouille and shrimp on a bed of toothsome rice.

The Seafood Dynamite Slider cushioned a flash-fried crab cake and a heat-spiked slaw between pillowy mini-buns. It’s a crowd-pleaser for the not-too adventurous, and I’d rather spend my calories on more purist sea fare such as Cast Iron Seared Scallops. The tender coins of white mollusk rest on a bed of pan-fried udon noodles with hazel dell mushrooms and cherry tomatoes, all swimming in one of my favorite concoctions of all time: a tangy Thai tom kha broth of coconut milk, ginger, lemongrass and mushrooms. This dish will clear your sinuses, fill your stomach and feed your soul.

With half-price happy hour wines at Jax, it’s easy to find a glass or bottle to match your favorite dishes. Your well-informed server can make food and wine recommendations, and will solicitously ensure all is to your liking. A neighboring table wasn’t completely entranced by their strawberry salad, and the server brought out a replacement sent by the chef, comped the salad and served a complimentary dessert. Now, that’s service.

The rooms are comfortably situated in an historic building of exposed brick walls and wide windows that look onto a vibrant sidewalk culture. The open kitchen and central oyster bar make it clear that fresh seafood is the star of the show.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Austin
“Jax's is Fishy”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

$1.00 Oysters at happy hour were inedible: I love fresh oysters and I left at least 9 uneaten on plate warm and disgusting
A promise of Fresh Dungeness Crab turned out to be tasteless and frozen and the entrees less than satisfying
Based on other reviews of between 4-4.5 stars I would have to conclude reviewers have never eaten good seafood

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent place with excellent food and awesome drinks!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I went to Jax on a Monday night with some friends and it was pretty busy! Great crowd! The drinks were awesome and the oysters super tasty! The food and especially the deserts were fantastic! I will definitely go back there next time I am in Fort Collins!

• Visited August 2013