“Fantastic Mex restaurant - my new favorite”
Review of Los Tarascos

Los Tarascos
Ranked #119 of 654 Restaurants in Fort Collins
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is my new favorite Mexican restaurant in Fort Collins - or anywhere for that matter! I've been going to various Mex restaurants in FTC for over 20 years and I tried Los Tarascos just to go someplace different. It is FANTASTIC!!! 9 salsas from which to choose. The refried beans were very tasty. The pico that accompanied my entree was fresh and crisp and crunchy. The entree itself, Rosemary Carnitas, was awesome! The bartender was knowledgeable about tequilas. The house marg was only $3.75 for Happy Hour and was delicious - ESPECIALLY for a house marg. I tried another one of their margs and it was excellent. I will still go to my old haunts for specific dishes, but Los Tarascos will be seeing a LOT of me!

Reviewed September 30, 2013

It's a couple blocks south of the downtown knot of pedestrian traffic and just north of the suburban sprawl—perfect spot for an oasis of flavor and value in a town overloaded with pretenders and wallet drainers.

The site-made corn tortillas are all over the menu, and a great signature, as are the selections at the gratis salsa bar (avocado and tomatillo selections are outstanding). Our service was a bit sketchy, but only in accuracy. Friendliness was in abundance.

The food and presentation around the table were consistent and tangy, especially the Chile Verde, which although heavy on the lime, was more than expected in freshness and flavor profiles. We loved this place and will happily blow past downtown on our next trip south from Laramie to dig deeper into the menu. Everybody has their prejudices about Mexican food, but Los Tarascos has its own family approach to flavor, and that's always my favorite way to go. There's no right in Mexican-American food, there's only fresh and good, and Los Tarascos has both down cold.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Chose this place based on TA reviews on our way back through Old Town. Rarely are we disappointed based on reviews, but, honestly, this place is definitely not worthy of it's "accolades". My family and I lived in south TX for almost 10 years and were quite spoiled by TexMex/Mexican food. This place is not in any way authentic. The salsa bar is a nice concept and we enjoyed a few of their salsas. On a side note, corn tortillas are served to accompany the salsa and we were offered chips without a mention of an upcharge. We chose those also as we had our two young children with us. I had the fajitas (chicken&beef), my husband had a chik fajita burrito and our two sons carne asada tacos. Well, the carne asada was maybe cooked earlier and then reheated? No idea. But I have had well done steak that was more tender. My fajitas were listed as beef or chicken with onions, peppers and tomatoes. I opted for no tomatoes and received a dish with 90% onions and ~4 pieces of green pepper. It was average. The meat was cooked in some sort of red sauce and served without tortillas...I had to request these. My husband's burrito was also average. He mentioned it may have been better if there was cheese. Cheese is something this restaurant does not believe in as it was absent from everything. Service, well it also was average. We were there on a Sunday at 5:00 and it was NOT busy, however we had to wait for everything from drinks to the bill and they were using a "team" approach. Will we go back? Probably not, as there are plenty of other options out there.

Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

We love Mexican. The food was good, the $10 margs were good. The value compared to Most Mexican restaraunts Is lackluster. I have never seen my boyfriend finish a plate of food at a Mexican restaraunts, here he finished his and mine. I like meals
To come with both rice and beans; here it comes with either/or, and the serving of beans I got was maybe 2 table spoons. Overall, good food and service, just not a good value.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I'm from Southern California and am picky about Mexican food. Los Tarascos is a thumbs up for a number of reasons: freshness of food, lots of fish dishes, wonderful staff, pretty good Margaritas. We go there often and have always been pleased. And it's reasonably priced!