“Our go-to for fish tacos”

La Luz Mexican Grill
Ranked #63 of 592 Restaurants in Fort Collins
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
fort collins co
“Our go-to for fish tacos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

LOVE this place - it has a very utilitarian atmosphere, so we usually get takeaway, but will often sit and drink a beer and eat chips while our order is being prepared (they also take orders over the phone and by e-mail or text - just make sure to check your bag before you leave, because mistakes are sometimes made). Our standard order is the fish plate - grilled fish, beans, rice, cabbage salad, tortillas and salsa blanca; guacamole and sour cream are extra, as is extra salsa blanca - the atomic seafood burrito, or fish tacos. These are the best fish tacos/fish plate/seafood burritos in town, and that includes Wahoo Fish Taco. You receive plenty for your money - we get two meals out of a fish plate or a burrito. Service is fast, although you wait a bit longer for the seafood while they grill it up especially for you. They have a good selection of beers, a nice help-yourself salsa bar, and, apparently, margaritas (have not tried those). There is a bit of seating outside, but, as is usual in Old Town Fort Collins, it's right on the street, so noisy and subject to the smoke of passersby.

I did have one (well, two) negative experiences here. Once was eating a fish taco in the restaurant, and, while chewing the last bite, tasted some mold. The bite was already on its way down my throat, so I couldn't spit it out. I went up to the counter to tell the worker (just wanted to warn her to have the cooks check their ingredients) - she was quite suspicious of my motives since there was no "evidence", even though I told her I wasn't trying to get anything for free. A few days later I found myself passing by, and went in to see if there was a manager who might be interested in the story. There was, but he was more interested in telling me that I was wrong than in trying to see if there really might have been a problem. He told me that there was no POSSIBLE way there could be mold in any of the food (I suspected either the cabbage or the tortilla) because they use up their inventory so quickly. He kept offering me a free taco, even though I told him that my only motive in stopping by was to let him know about the problem. He said that I MUST have been tasting the thyme. I told him that I've cooked professionally for many years, and am quite familiar with the flavor of thyme vs. mold, but he would have none of that. Somewhat annoying, as I was only trying to help him out, but, oh well. A friend later told me that she'd had a moldy tasting taco there during the same week, so....

Anyway, we've only had that one unhappy experience, so I can highly recommend this restaurant. Even our food-snobby friends from NYC love the food from La Laz. Also try their spinach and bean quesadilla - great for vegetarians.

• Visited August 2013

Fort Collins, Colorado
“amazing food great people and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

what a delightful little place in the heart of old town a wonderful patio to sip margs and enjoy the downtown atmosphere!!! The service was excellent and I would highly recommend the street tacos!! Very impressed.

• Visited September 2013
Denver, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“No Bueno!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We arrived and they served us with dirty glasses. The service was horrible, we waited over 25 minutes for two small tacos! There were a lot of flies allover the restaurant

• Visited September 2013
“Fish Tacos of Choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

An afternoon must for people who want fort collins old town culture, a local atmosphere, and tacos de pescado (these fish tacos are not just for güeros).

I've been a routine patron over 10 years and having originated along the California coast, I've needed to get my "authentic Mexican food fix", La Luz is only one of two places I recommend in Northern Colorado.

There are other reasons to go if you don't like grilled fish or shrimp tacos made with spicy onions, cilantro, cabbage, and your choice if corn or flour fresh tortillas. To name a few, their asada burritos are not only large, but make Chipotle or Qdoba look like they are serving McDonalds. LaLuz has mild salsa for the Niño's, or habanero salsa for those who prefer a spicy "bite" (I wash this down with their strong, in a pint glass, on the rocks margarita).

Be prepared to wait during peak times, as this place is not only well known and affordable, but also it's friendly to all ages.

• Visited July 2013
“OK Mexican”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Food ok but not great. Service was slow even though there were only three customers. Tables were not cleared or cleaned after customers left so it was difficult to find a "clean" table and made for a "trash" appearance."

Visited May 2013