“Great For Young Adults”

Fort Collins Museum of Discovery
Ranked #6 of 112 things to do in Fort Collins
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Most people have reviewed the Fort Collins Museum of Discovery as just a place for the kids. My boyfriend (20) and I (22) enjoy going to the museum just by ourselves. The hands on aspect of the museum was very nice and really cool to experience. Yes it is more directed towards children but as a young adult I enjoy going down here and playing with some of the things. Also I can guarantee that anything inside the Otterbox Dome will be great. We went and it was just so relaxing. Honestly the entire experience made for a great date for us.

2  Thank jyishika
"few hours"
"interesting things"
"great place to visit"

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Went with kids and adults at several different times. Many hands on displays. I felt at times like I was in the old Mousetrap board-game. Awe-inspiring and a way for kids to learn without being "taught". If they had Lego's and 3d printers it would be amazing.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We visited the museum first to see if we wanted to get a family pass. My 7 yr old son had a great time playing with the hands on exhibits as did my wife and I. We decided to get an annual family pass, which was a great value, as it also allows entry to the Denver Museum of Science and Nature.

We have seen 1 show in the Otterbox Dome which was fun.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We actually wanted to see the museum that was in the old downtown area, but it had moved from the old red stone building to a new building a couple of miles up the road. Instead of being a museum however, it is now a discovery center, too, with most of the floor space dedicated to entertainment. The museum portion was a short 40-minute visit, with the promise of much more to come because it was still in storage. Also, the old buildings on the old museum grounds were not going to be moved. There was a homestead cabin, a school house, and other buildings which we never got to see because the old museum was never open when we visited the city before. $19 seems a stiff price to pay for what we wanted to see.

1  Thank Donna S
See more reviews
Reviewed May 5, 2013

The new museum is so much fun. They have numerous hands-on exhibits that the entire family can enjoy. Membership is affordable and if you have a membership to The Denver Museum of Nature and Science, they will often let you in free. One down side is that they don't currently have anyone in their cafe, they just have vending g machines with snack foods. You either eat before you go or leave and come back or eat after. They are in close proximity to Old Town Fort Collins, which has great restaurants and an eclectic mix of shops. We like to go a little further North to the Subway for a more economical lunch option.
Be prepared for your kids to not want to leave. They even have live ferrets that you can observe and they have a feeding demonstration. On our last visit, they had some fun demonstrations with electricity in their classrooms. There is the funky forest which teaches kids how water flow affects plant life. There are bumpers the kids can move around to affect the water, which is a colorful projection on the wall and trees grow and recede according to where you direct the water. There are even little bugs and butterflies projected on the wall. I won't give away the fun part with the bugs, but the kids love it.
From trying to lift a piano, to jamming with a band, to the xylophone room, to the music apps on multiple I-pads with headphones, the music experience is awesome. They have instruments, much like Rock Band for the XBOX, that allow you to learn to play an instrument. You can even jam with the other instruments that are in your grouping. One person on drums, one on guitar and one on keyboard. From 11-2, they have the garage open, where they have real instruments.
The tornado tunnel (can't remember the exact name) allows you to experience tornado force winds. My kids always try this out several times every visit. They also have a station with circuit boards the kids can build and one where you build a parachute and put it in a wind tunnel and watch it fly up and then back down. My three-year-old spends the majority of her time there and goes back again and again.
There is so much more I could tell you about but you should really go and discover all the amazing and fun things they have there for yourself. They have summer camps and they have a planetarium, though they call it something else. Well worth your time and money.

1  Thank csgomez79