“Music and Bears, oh my!”

Fort Collins Museum of Discovery
Ranked #9 of 111 things to do in Fort Collins
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My grandkids come here often, so they led me around. They wanted to show me everything, and they did! I loved the bison display and the animal displays. The kids like the hands on aspect of everything in the museum, but it's not just for kids. The music area is wonderful--you could learn to play guitar here! and it's educational for everyone!

All reviews
"few hours"
"interesting things"
"great place to visit"

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My family has a membership to the Museum of Discovery. I have a 3 year old and a 2 year old that always have a great time with the hands on exhibits. The building blocks are a favorite as well as the room where the waterfall comes down and you can divert the water to make plants and such grow. Very small cafe on site so if you plan to eat lunch there, you may want to bring food yourself as the options are limited (but very healthy).

Reviewed February 19, 2013

This is certainly a step up from the old museum (though without the cool old buildings to explore), but that's not really saying much, of course. They cater to the younger set, it seems, which is fine by me. The kids love to go and interact with all of the exhibits, especially the funky forest and the musical instruments.

You can see pretty much everything in about 4 hours. Hopefully that will change, as new exhibits are planned to be added within the next year.

The only problem I see is that many of the exhibits lack appropriate description, direction, or explanation. You often walk away saying, "Oh, that's nice," but don't really know what you were supposed to get out of it. Like that dark room with the table that makes sounds by moving cubes around on it. What the heck is that about?? And how do you make it do anything interesting?

The dome theater is a nice addition to the area. Hopefully shows will start changing out soon.

The cafe is pretty terrible. Overpriced, pre-made cold things. Basically anything would be an improvement in that area.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

My husband and I spent a couple of hours exploring this museum. The musical interactive part was fun but there is so much sound that we couldn't hear some of the exhibits. For us it was too much music and too little Fort Collins history. There was a nice little cabin where we should have been able to listen to stories from people who live here but there was so much outside noise, we couldn't hear (we do not have any hearing problems). We attended a program at the dome theatre which was very good. There is an intersting gift shop and a little coffee place. There is a nice view of Ft. Collins from the roof terrace.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I hadn't visited this museum in it's former location, but it's new location is amazing. It's a huge building right next to a greenway. The exhibits are wonderful (my four year old loved the garage band where he got to hammer on the drums). My kids spent over two hours without complaint, which is a record given that they are 4 and 6 and it was close to lunch time.
If you child likes music, this is the place to go. Lots of hands on music exhibits.
There is a live animal exhibit coming soon and we're pretty psyched about that also.
Too much good to mention, but we bought a membership so we can return regularly. Totally worth the price. Please visit-you won't regret it.