“Welcome to you new addiction”
Review of Fuzzy's Taco Shop

Fuzzy's Taco Shop
Ranked #159 of 616 Restaurants in Fort Collins
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Welcome to you new addiction”
Reviewed March 7, 2012

To keep people interested in average Baja-Mex food, rather than improving the quality of the flavor, you need to add a little song and dance for entertainment. Well, that's the philosophy at Fuzzy's Taco Shop, anyway. Do people go to Chuck E. Cheese for the pizza? No, they go for the games and entertainment; the food is an afterthought. And while there's nothing bad about the food at Fuzzy's, it's just boring. It needs more than spice to make it pop - it needs bingo, trivia nights, karaoke, and margaritas filled with beer to make it worth while.

I had a chance to taste what Fuzzy's had to offer during the day. While the conversation was fun, and the atmosphere bright, the food was dull. I ordered chips and guacamole for an appetizer, and the guac was loaded with shredded iceberg lettuce. I just don't get it - it doesn't add anything other than annoying, stringy texture. It's completely fine without the added lettuce.

The fish tacos I ordered were decent. The fish was grilled but still flat on flavor, and I needed to douse each bite with the signature hot sauce at the table - which I thought was delicious because of the strong vinegar taste. Strangely, the tacos are topped with feta cheese, which I suppose adds a more complex flavor with each bite, and it's probably cheaper than Mexican cotija cheese. Some people like it, some people don't. Strange as it was, I thought it was OK.

I came back again with friends for a fun-filled night of bingo. Forget coming to Fuzzy's during the day at lunch - dinner with entertainment is the time to go. Most weeknights have some kind of exciting event going on to lure you in for tacos and margs. Tuesdays are trivia nights, Wednesdays are bingo, and Thursdays are karaoke.

The place is packed with CSU students (and rightly so), with large glasses of margaritas at almost every table. The college crowd is their target market, so keep in mind - the food and service are going to reflect that. When starving students are used to microwave dinners and Top Ramen, Fuzzy's is the food of kings. Service is provided with slow, lackluster attention, and sometimes with a texting cell phone in hand. We actually had to wait longer than appropriate for someone to take our drink order while they finished up their text message right in front of us.

I ordered the Pomerita - a frozen margarita with Fort Collins Brewery's Major Tom's Pomegranate Wheat beer turned upside down in the middle. Fuzzy's Taco Shop has a tagline - "Welcome To Your New Addiction." Well, yes - I can buy that if you love margaritas, because the ones here are crazy good. Sweet frozen drinks with delicious beer added for extra boozy love? Sure, why not!

Bingo was fun, and it kept us in our seats for four hours eating, laughing, and playing games when we'd otherwise be out the door after 45 minutes. At Fuzzy's Taco Shop, it's not about the service or the food - it's about the fun.

Visited February 2012

FORT COLLINS
“yummy fish tacos, clearly a younger crowd”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Having read a newspaper review, I thought I woud try their fish tacos. Fresh, moist, and very tasty. didn't care for the volcano sauce that was wisely in a separate container. black beans and fried rice good also. clearly fresh ingredients and made on the spot are key factors in guest appreciation. Place was packed-at 65 I think I resembled Methuselah and out of place , compared to the 21 year old crowd.-but everyone seemed to be enjoying the expeience . Maybe all those Margaritas with a beer bottle inverted in them have something to do with that joyous attitude.

• Visited February 2012
Fort Collins, Colorado
“No return visit planned”
Reviewed September 30, 2011

My husband and I tried Fuzzy's Taco Shop on a whim and were terribly disappointed by the food. We ordered fairly basic fare - Taco, Enchilada, etc. and an order of Chips and Queso.

The Queso was a thin whitish-colored sauce that had a hint of cheese flavor but seemed more closely aligned to curdling milk. The flavor was bland to bad. The chips had the Fuzzy's house blend of seasoning which actually made the chips worse than if they had left it off.

The entree's were equally bad - then again, why not put greek cheese on a taco? Feta? What? Not only was the cheese topping the taco strange, it did not add anything flavor-wise to the taco at all. The enchilada, rice, and beans also were a sad example of how Mexican food can go terribly wrong.

The only thing I think people genuinely enjoyed were the large drinks - kind of fun to get your beer upside down in a marguerita-esque glass.

Sorry Fuzzy's, we did not leave with the warm kind!

• Visited August 2011