“Really Great for a Big Group”
Review of Canyon Chop House - CLOSED

Canyon Chop House
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Mystic, CT
“Really Great for a Big Group”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

It's tough to bring out 10 people and ensure everyone is not only satisfied but raves about the dinner and fun time they had. What I have found over the years is that a great dinner facilitates tight corporate teams and good relationships so when we tried the Canyoon Chop House.... we had a great meal, great time and it brought the team together.

They seated us in the vault and we had one waitress assigned and a couple of runners and they did a really good job with the service. They consulted individually w/ us on the meals and spent a great deal of time on the wine selection and good choices all @. We seem to be spolied as our usual DC haunts are so expensive and they push the wine at you throughout the meal and Canyon did not do this. More laid back and relaxed.

We had the bourbon filet specials, one order of a massive 22 ounce T bone,short ribs, other filets and everything was great. A local Fort Collins person was with us and he had been to the Canyon many times so his insight was invaluable and we didn't go wrong w/ a single meal for the 10 people.

We were a little loud and the vault was a great place for our crowd, price was up there for Fort Collins but compared to the other cities we usually find ourslves in... its was high but a good value. Easy to park, easy to walk to, great drinks and a great time. Canyon really earned our biz.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank MysticKid

Fort Collins Co
“All-around a great restaurant”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

The restaurant at this address has gone through several iterations but we haven't been back there for at least 10 years. Why? Prior visits were pricey for meals that were so-so in all respects. But in searching for a special restaurant for my wife's 75th birthday, without having to drive out of town, I noted that the retaurant was still in business and now had nearly 50 very high recent reviews on Trip Advisor. Almost all reviews were excellent and extolled the quality of the meals and service. So I read the menu on their website and discovered an imaginative and wide menu of firsts, entrees and sides. So I made reservations and went last night. And was blown away by what this formerly so-so place has now become. You can read the menu on their website so I won't repeat it here. The server presented an amuse bouche of ground sirloin and cannelini beans dressed in basalmic. Very nice touch! My wife and I then shared a marvelous first of seared pork belly accompanied by a fried egg (perfectly prepared), nice greens dressed with balanced vinegar and oil, and a silky real hollandaise. The pork belly was beatifully seared and charred and was to-die-for! My wife's entree was a dish of boneless beef short ribs accompanied by fresh papardelle and a sauce with local Hazeldell mushrooms (mixed types), roasted cipolini (locally sourced), and a red wine demiglace. A memorable dish!! I had house cured pork tenderloin, polenta fries, black bean salad with chimichurri. A very good dish although the pork would have benefitted from a bit of smoke. Desserts were a truly great vanilla bean panna cotta for me and a sinful creation of a dark chocolate and almond semifreddo, flourless chocolate cake, caramel, and amaretto whipped cream. The wine selections by the glass were not many but they were quality (but for this town were pricey for wine by the glass). Service was professionbal yet friendly but not too friendly or phoney and intrusive. Presentations were spot on i.e. not a lot of frou-frou but done in a way that complemented the nature and preparation of the dish. Ambience was very pleasant: classy tables, booths, and linens; tables not jammed into the space available; noise level was very agreeable for one-on-one conversation. OVERALL: a really great place for Fort Collins special meals; pricey but worth the splurge!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank CSU_prof
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Consistently good”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I am a local and have been to Canyon Chop House many times. If it's a special occasion, we reserve a table and go for the entree specials. If it's a more simple night out, we eat in the bar area where they have a small plates menu. Super Happy Hour. Servers are smart, prompt, and genuinely friendly. The food is outstanding, and each plate always has something unique and delicious. It's a consistently great dining experience, and tops the list for great meals in Fort Collins. My only complaint is that although the menus are delightfully designed, I can never read it because the print is tiny and the ambiance lighting is dim.

• Visited October 2012
Fort Collins, Colorado
“New years haven”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

great place to celebrate New Years - they have a wonderful champagne dinner menu. Reservations recommended

Visited January 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
“Good but expensive”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We had dinner here and the food and service was very good, although I wouldn’t say it was exceptional. Although I have no complaints, I am not going to give them 5 stars because it is not necessary to spend this much money for food of similar quality. I had the 14 oz NY strip steak ($37) and my wife had the 8 oz venison filet ($32), both of which came from Colorado according to the waiter. There are plenty of other things on the menu besides steaks if you don’t want to spend over $30. The entrees come with a salad and two sides of your choice. However we each paid $3 extra to get caesar salads instead of the regular ones. My steak was cooked to my liking and our sides (salads, mashed potatoes, potatoes with blue cheese, asparagus, green beans with olives) were all very good. The venison was excellent; tender and perfectly cooked. We didn’t have reservations and although it was a week night, there was no room inside. However, we were the only ones on the patio, which is what we wanted anyway. The patio was nice but needs a bit more decoration. Also, it was too dark to read the menu; the waiter had to bring us a flashlight. They have a large wine list. We had an excellent bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon for $30. We didn’t order an appetizer (all over $10) or a dessert, but we left with our appetites satisfied.

• Visited September 2012