“Costly retaurants should have great service and food”
Review of Canyon Chop House - CLOSED

Canyon Chop House
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We tried to go on Tuesday evening, but they all tables were reserved, so we made reservations for Thursday. Since the place recommends reservations, they should have a good idea of the staff necessary for the evening. However, once we were seated it was at least 15 minutes before a waiter arrived, then an additional 20 minutes before salads arrived. The entrée was well after the salads were complete. Service was very slow. For the amount paid for the entrée's they should have been extraordinary, but they were not. They were good, but did not measure up to their cost. In all likelihood we will not return to this restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Canyon Chop House

Reviewed September 24, 2012

As others have said, this is an expensive place to eat, especially for Fort Collins. That said, my expectations were fairly high as i generally love the "Chop House" genre of restaurants.

To start with the ambiance is nice, lighting is perfect and the tall, generously sized, booths are very intimate. The menu is printed on a small piece of Kraft paper folded into the napkin and unfolds about 4 or 5 times. The wine/beer list is comprehensive with a full spectrum of prices. Unfortunately, no beer is on tap even the local New Belgium selections. The wine/champagne selection has a price range up to about $250/bottle. It is really too bad they don't have a better view or setting, as all you see through the wall of windows is another office building.

Our waiter did not remember one of the specials, and apologized. But he did nothing to follow-up or find out what it was. He didn't seem exceptionally knowledgeable about the menu, but maybe he was new. I also would have expected black slacks, and not black jeans with an old leather belt for the male wait staff. He was very accommodating in a special dietary request. Other than those small issues, the service was adequate, but I expected more.

We had the Ahi and a 9oz filet. Both came with two sides, salad and good sourdough bread. Mashed potatoes were smooth and had plenty of garlic, a plus! The spinach was ok, but not as flavorful as expected. The salad was good, but not that creative in terms of ingredients. the house balsamic was very good. The steak was adequate, but a bit on the low side of quality and taste. It was not what I would call a "memorable" steak.

While I had wanted to visit here for a long time, I don't think I will be back. If you have a very special occasion and don't want to go to Denver, maybe this is a good option, but there are other establishments that offer a better meal and dining experience, usually for less money.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

but not always. Once I took a friend and the dish we ordered was terribly over-salted. Otherwise, service and food had been consistently optimal.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

This will cost you. Check their menu pricing before you get sticker shock.
The food is average. Had a steak and it was tender, but not a lot of flavor.
This place is for those long conversational dinners, don't be in a hurry.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

I am a lover of great steak. I have had top end steaks all across this country and elsewhere in the world. This facility served the best steak I have had in recent memory and can recall of none better at any time in my life.
Service was a little slow on a Friday evening arriving without a reservation but it was friendly and accommodating. The atmosphere was nice not five-star but very comfortable clean modern and appropriate. Prices were on the high-end but worth every penny I paid.

1  Thank bereznov