“Cosy, crafty, but not great value”

Highland Haven Creekside Inn
Ranked #2 of 9 Evergreen B&B and Inns
Galway, Ireland
“Cosy, crafty, but not great value”
Reviewed June 10, 2007

The inn is on beautiful grounds with a creek running across the front and lots of trees. One morning we saw elk very close by. The Van Morrison playing in the trees on the property was a little unnecessary we thought. It is also a very quiet location, and walking distance to the village.
We stayed in two different rooms. One was a two-bedroom suite. It was beautifully decorated and very cosy, but I would not recommend it for two couples. The bedrooms were very small, so we used one to sleep in and put our stuff in the other. The shower wasn't great and the bathroom basin didn't drain properly. The walls were a little thin. We also stayed in the Creekside Cottage (which is divided into two separate rooms). Again, beautifully decorated and very romantic, but a little on the small side. And while the bed was very beautiful-looking (I think it might have been antique), it squeaked quite badly.
The breakfasts were very interesting. Bagels, muesli, fruit, usually a homecooked egg-based dish, a home-cooked sweet and pastries. I liked them a lot, my husband found them stodgy and didn't like them at all, so not to everyone's taste.
The staff were extremely friendly and professional at all times. We felt very well looked after, although there were times when there was no one at the front desk and we couldn't contact the staff by phone (got put through to the machine). Although it wasn't anything urgent, I could imagine this would be a bit annoying in certain situations.
Overall, if the folksy, crafty theme at this inn is to your taste, then you are in for a treat. However, for the prices being charged, a lot of people would expect a better finish on the rooms - better showers, bigger beds that don't squeak - bigger rooms, and someone in the front office at all times.

• Liked — The decor - romantic and cosy
  • Disliked — Not great value
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank kerryv

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 21, 2007

My husband and I took a 3 day getaway from Phoenix, AZ to Colorado. We did not have a room booked and had no idea where we were going to stay, as the whole trip was very last minute. We found Hillside Haven on the internet the night before we left, and called and left a message. We got a call early the next morning, as we were getting ready to board our flight. We knew we were taking a chance, never seeing it, but went ahead. We could not of been more pleased. The staff.....were so friendly, recommended great places to eat and go to....the cottage we stayed in....Creekside Two was adorable. The weather was in the 60-70's....we had all intentions of driving to Breckenridge or Copper Mountain one day, but decided to stay right at the Inn....as is was soooo relaxing. We walked into town - 5-10 minutes - each day and ate at great places....SoHo's was overpriced and food was not impressive....but every other place we ate was wonderful. If you hare looking for a place to relax, have a great breakfast served to you in a quaint log cabin....this is the place. We would go back in a heartbeat!!

• Liked — It was so relaxing....right beside a creek, beautiful pines
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AZWorkaholic
San Antonio
Reviewed November 16, 2006

This was a wonderful get-away. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was fantastic. Beautiful rooms.

• Liked — Cozy and romantic
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JohnMoc
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed October 31, 2006

Evergreen: Highland Haven Creekside Inn
Evergreen, Colorado
"Absolutely the best !!

During my business career of 33 years I have stayed in hundreds of hotels, motels, resorts and guest houses throughout the USA, and when visiting more than 20 countries worldwide. I was a guest at Highland Haven Creekside for 16 days in October, 2006. If I was to choose the best all-round accomodations, management, and cordial staff, Highland Haven Creekside Inn would be my number one choice! No-other can even come close. If you want comfort, rest, friendly people, and value, your best choice would be Highland Haven. It's certainly my best choice.

Date: November 1, 2006

• Liked — Comfort, friendly staff, rest
  • Disliked — No complants at all
  • Tips/Secrets — Great place for romance andor rest
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Maichao
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 26, 2006

We stayed at Highland Haven recently on our wedding night. It is in a beautiful location and very close to the town of Evergreen. The rooms are very cute and nicely sized. Between our friends and family we had rented approximately 90% of the rooms. I had expected complete luxury, given what I had seen and heard about the place. Unfortunately, I was not impressed and I felt badly that I had recommended this pricey location to so many of my guests.

I got ready in the Fireside Loft and then stayed in the Gardener's Cottage, so I spent a lot of time in both rooms. I wasn't impressed with the cleanliness- the top edge of the kitchen cabinets in the Loft were filthy, there was hair in my shower and it was evident the bathroom had not been cleaned. The owners are very kind, but I would not say this is a family-friendly venue. I just felt like the price of our room (including the fact that we had rented nearly the entire facility) would have warranted world-class service. I would not recommend this place to others- it is too expensive given the quality of the accommodations.

• Liked — Location and surroundings
  • Disliked — Cleanliness and price
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank MarieBarrett
USA
Reviewed October 22, 2006

Evergreen Colorado is by far the most beautiful place I have been to in Colorado. The Highland Haven is located on a georgeous site. The view of the creek and the mountains is amazing. Especially after a snowfall.

I'm writing this review based on a 5 night stay in a two bedroom suite in October of 2006. We were there for a wedding at another location nearby.

The first night you get there, there are bon bons on the bed, which is a nice touch and the manager is very nice and accommodating. The breakfast was good, but still I think that the room is way overpriced for the few perks that you get and the quality of the room. (only referring to the junior 2 bedroom suites) There was no discount for the wedding guests even though we occupied most of the rooms that weekend.

If you go to their website and click on accomodations and then junior suites, you will see only one picture of the junior suite. It is of the couch. I believe that their website is misleading. They should be more honest about the quality of the two bedroom suites.

The description of the bathroom is also misleading. I was under the impression when I read "private BATHS with showers", that there would be a bathtub in the room. No bathtub. Not so good when traveling with children.

The room we stayed in was not as clean as you would expect, the walls were very thin, the bathroom was tiny, one of the bedroom doors didn't even have a mechanism to hold the door closed so it always stayed open about 2 inches which was ok for us because our children slept in that room, however if you are travelling with another couple and would like privacy in the bedroom, I would not recommend a suite. We could hear what was going on in the other rooms around us and we were told from another guest in the suite next to us that they heard us as well. The guest below us said they could hear us walking around above them. You could even hear other people during the night outside of the building through the thin walls. It was not easy to sleep. Anytime another guest would close the door to their room, it sounded like they were closing our door. The noises woke the kids up too.

I would suggest staying in the Loft if you really are looking for a romantic getaway. I was lucky enough to visit the loft and it is truly amazing! It is not attached to the rest of the "motel-like" rooms. There are also some cabins on the property that are a bit more private.

I would not recommend staying here with young children unless you get one of the more private rooms.

The price was outrageous and please make sure to really pay attention to everything on the website before booking a room.
Its nobody's fault, but my own for not paying close attention. I assumed that when you book a 2 bedroom suite, the price would include at least up to four guests. In our case, there were 4 people. Myself, my husband and our 3 year old twins. I thought $185.00 / night was a bit high, but based on other reviews I had read, I assumed it would be worth it. Imagine my surprise when we got the bill and realized that we had to pay an additional $40.00 per night for the kids!!! We stayed there for 5 nights so it was quite expensive. I didn't read very carefully. The price of the room was only for 2 guests. The website was pretty clear about that policy, but I overlooked it. Who would need a 2 bedroom suite for just 2 people?

I wish I had thought of taking pictures to show what their website doesn't show. In my opinion, if this "bed and breakfast" was located anywhere else in the country it would be considered a cheap motel and would probably cost about $49.00/night.

I think that the main dissapointment was the price of the room. Honestly, the other things would have been overlooked had we felt that the room was more reasonably priced. Unfortunately when you book online, its hard to know exactly what you are getting. Especially when they misrepresent themselves.

It would be very wise to call and ask very specific questions when making your reservations so that you are not dissapointed when you arrive.

Maybe we just expected too much

• Liked — the views and location
  • Disliked — overpriced
  • Tips/Secrets — stay in the more private rooms, not the motel-like rooms
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank meeeeeeeee
Denver
Reviewed October 18, 2006

While only staying one night, my partner and I found the Highland Haven to be the perfect getaway. An easy drive from Denver turned into quaint getaway that felt like we were miles away. Unlike many B&B's, we could walk to the town center for a nice dinner to return to the creekside to sit and end the evening. The rooms are well appointed and elegant and not your normal B&B feel. Incredible bathrooms, beautifully decorated and a bed that you sink into for the best nights sleep. The grounds have been personally taken care of and are simply tasteful and full of mountain flowers and plants. The staff not only friendly, but as excited to have you there as you are to be there. One would expect to wake up to a continental breakfast however you enter the "main hall" to a wonderful homecooked breakfast that will last you the day. The owners are truly people that have put their hearts and passion into their "haven". I have also heard that the owner is publishing a book on her receipes and life in Evergreen.
Go ahead and make a reservation today.... it is worth it... but stay more than one night!

• Liked — Not your normal Bed and Breakfast feel. Upscale
  • Disliked — That we had to leave the next morning.
  • Tips/Secrets — When booking, ask for Blake and ask about all the room types
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bds
Also consider these accommodations in or near Evergreen
Table Mountain Inn
#1 of 18 in Golden
Downtown
The Crawford Hotel
The Crawford Hotel
#2 of 157 in Denver
Colorado Bear Creek Cabins
#1 of 3 in Evergreen

Been to Highland Haven Creekside Inn? Share your experiences!