“Very good, but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Steakhouse 10

Steakhouse 10
Ranked #4 of 184 Restaurants in Englewood
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Denver, Colorado
“Very good, but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

Caron and I tried Steakhouse 10 last night, rather than driving all the way across town to visit either Shanahan's or Del Frisco's -- our two favorite Denver-area steakhouses.

I easily got us a 7:00 reservation, calling just before noon. The place was an easy 10-minute ride for us, and there was plenty of parking available when we arrived at about 6:30.

The decor is nice... dark, classic steakhouse... with lots of little nooks and crannies. The building has an interesting history, which or server related when asked. And the music was perfect... Ella, Nancy, Cassandra -- real (not "smooth") jazz. So many other places get the music so wrong.

A glass of wine for Caron and a cocktail for me were promptly delivered. We enjoyed some excellent bread while perusing the menu. The service started out very well, and never faltered.

We started with the crab cakes appetizer (as we almost always do given the opportunity). These were huge, but lacked the large chunks of crabmeat that the best feature. Other than their size, they were unremarkable.

If the crab cakes were disappointing, Caron's lobster bisque certainly was not. It was very tasty and exceedingly rich. After finishing a nice, fresh house salad, I helped her finish the bisque.

Caron chose the lobster tail, and I ordered the 7-oz. filet, adding the green peppercorn brandy cream sauce usually served with their New York steak. We were a bit surprised to find that her lobster tail wasn't finished in the broiler -- her preference and mine -- but she enjoyed it nonetheless. My filet was prepared exactly to order (I asked them to "split the difference between medium and medium well" and they did). The peppercorn sauce was very good, too, and the glass of Seven Deadly Zins I ordered complemented the dish extremely well.

The wine menu, by the way, was nothing extraordinary, but Caron and I both easily found a wine to complement our dinner.

We were too full to sample one of the desserts, although the Creme Brulee was tempting. I made dessert out of a cup of coffee and a shot of Kahlua.

As our server pointed out, dinners here include a vegetable and a starch (for Caron, a baked potato; for me, rice pilaf -- both very good) which saves their patrons money when compared to most other steakhouses, where everything is priced a la carte.

In summary: very nice decor/ambience; excellent service; very good (but not quite exceptional) food; conveniently located. Like any establishment of this sort, it's not cheap, and for a special occasion, I would probably choose to drive across town, spend a little more, and get a little more -- mostly, because I'm a big crab cake fan. If you're not, you might be absolutely delighted by this place. By all means, try the lobster bisque!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Grumpy_Dutch

San Diego
“Great service, average steaks”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

In Denver on a business trip thought I would give this place a try. Décor is nice, staff is fantastic. The food was not as good as I hoped for being this was a business dinner and I picked the place. The bisque and salads were okay. The steaks were overcooked all 3 of them and the flavor was so so. Can't say I would go back.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank MauiMKO
Denver, Colorado
“Great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

My daughter and I an came here on a whim. What a lovely surprise. Everything was good and the service was excellent!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank LoquaciousColorado
Littleton CO
“More than a steakhouse”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

This is my favorite restaurant to recommend (except to vegetarians). Great food, very reasonable prices, high service levels, interesting atmosphere. It reminds me of the little ethnic steak houses in Boston and New York without the attitude and high prices.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank susan13579
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
“Ooapah!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Fantastic restaurant for your special occasion! My husband and I loved the family atmosphere, great food and fabulous service. Ask for Johnson, and he will definitely take care of you!

• Visited April 2014

Been to Steakhouse 10? Share your experiences!