“This hotel was...MEH with no higher aspirations, apparently.”

Hilton Garden Inn Denver South Park Meadows Area
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Englewood
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My daughter and I recently stayed at this hotel for two nights and I would have to say that they are mediocre, at best, and content to stay that way.

To start with, the bathroom was not fully clean. There were toothpaste splatters on the picture above the toilet, for one thing. As a housekeeper how do you miss that?? It was, literally, the first thing I saw when I walked in! Also there was mold in the shower and the caulking all around the bottom was split and coming loose from the tub, which is a HUGE mold creator, as the water then gets inside the wall! There was thick dust in many spots in the bathroom and throughout the room. Gross. The tub did not drain properly and we were forced to bathe our feet/legs in used water. Ick! I was never able to get the water above warm, even cranked all the way over, so I never got to take a hot shower while there. When we got into our room we had a wet spot on the carpet that I stepped in with my socks; very unpleasant! I shudder to imagine what it might have been. Our room also had a HORRIBLE smell when we walked in; fortunately, it went away after I had the window open for about an hour. On our second day in the room, the cleaning staff did a terrible job cleaning up and missed all kinds of things; it was just sloppy and lazy and someone left their half-drunk bottle of water in our room.

Outside the room, the elevators were slow and filthy. The hallway carpets were obviously dirty. The entire hotel reeked of chlorine. The swimming pool was freezing cold and quite small and there was rust all over every metal surface in the pool room. They also never had the pool room stocked with towels for the swimmers. Poor, poor management all around!

Also, I checked reviews before booking here and I have to laugh at how mesmerized and impressed most people are by the free Grandma's cookies and the donkey made from hand towels. Apparently, one package of cheap cookies and a terry cloth farm animal is all it takes to win most people over. They don't even leave the cheap cookies again if you stay more than one night. And they only leave it on one bed, so if there's more than one person staying in the room, there just might have to be a death match to figure out who gets it. Then of course there'd be no one to fully clean it up!

The cherry on top was when we checked out. The GM at the desk asked how everything was and I mentioned a couple of things I was unhappy about. She then offered to "make it up to us" by comp'ing our dinner from the previous night. The only problem with that is that we hadn't had dinner there the previous night and all her offer did was expose yet another problem with this hotel. So, she proceeded to "comp" us someone else's dinner and that was it. She never even attempted to do anything else to "make up" for our unpleasant stay. There are far too many hotels to even bother with one so substandard. I would NEVER stay here again and will tell as many people as possible.

To be fair, even though the beds do not initially feel as if they'd be comfortable, they were, in actuality, very much so. Sadly, you cannot jump on them, however, as they are spring-free. One other positive point was the fact that when we were checked in we were told about the hold charge that they place on your credit card, in case of any incidental charges. I already knew, but it's good this hotel warns you ahead of time, for anyone who might be unaware. (However, the lady at the desk made it very clear when I commented on it that it was for her own benefit, rather than for the customers'. She talked a lot about how it simplified her life and saved her from getting yelled at as much. Wah.) Also, the hold was removed the next day. I've stayed in places where it took days for them to remove the hold and that's just plain RIDICULOUS.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
ReneeWriedt, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Denver South Park Meadows Area, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. I understand you were unhappy with the cleanliness of your room and I am very sorry for this experience. We take a lot of pride in our guests being satisfied and apologize that we were unable to meet that expectation. I am working with our housekeeping staff to prevent this from happening in the future. I also want to offer again to make this right, but this time ensure that it is what you feel would make it better for you. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel if you would like to discuss this further. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the area, you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Fitness center is woefully inadequate, especially for a "business" hotel. I had to be there at 5:30 in the morning in order to get a place on a machine, and even then I didn't feel I could use it for more than a few minutes. Everything else was fine, room service worked, Internet connection worked, rooms were clean, etc. If a fitness regimen isn't important to you, this is a fine Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
ReneeWriedt, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Denver South Park Meadows Area, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you for sending us your feedback regarding our hotel and specifically our fitness center. We have received this feedback from other guests, which is why we also offer complimentary passes to an extensive fitness facility just five minutes from the hotel. I am sorry that you were not made aware of this amenity and hope that this will entice you to stay here during your next visit to the area. Your feedback is how we make improvements and is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a exceptional experience for a good price for our last two nights in Denver. They put me off from the very start. My husband booked two nights and requested a mountain view king room. When we arrived, there was apparently one room left fitting that bill. The agent only spoke to my husbsnd, though we checked in together at the front desk. I went to inspect the room, and while the room looked nice, there was very loud talking that could be heard all over the room. It was an adjoining room, and there was no sound dampening from the room next door. I immediately walked back to the front desk to politely explain and ask for another room. The front desk agent made no attempt to apologize, but did look for a different room. There were no other king rooms with a mountain view. Rather than spend the night in a double, we opted for a king room with no view. I don't blame the hotel for this, but what did really get under my skin was the front desk agent. At one point, as I was working to change rooms (my husband was outside parking and unloading the car and was unaware of the issue) I told her that when he booked, he was given the option to upgrade to a king suite. I asked if any were available with a mountain view. I don't recall the exact words that she used, but she made it clear she was not going to allow me to upgrade without talking to my husband! Though it was moot, since there were no mountainview suites available, OMG! Are you kidding me?! They are MY Hilton Honor silver points, as I am the main traveler in this family. Did I step back in time or to a third world country? Apparently. As we were exiting the lobby after settling into our inferior room, my husband and I walked out together and the same agent yelled over to my husband, specifically using HIS name only, to ask him if everything was fine with the new room. Mind you, I am the one who complained and asked to switch rooms. My husband was completely uninvolved that initial exchange until I asked him if he had a preference for leaving or taking a different room. I was totally insulted and perturbed.

The lobby was older looking with dark wood and incredibly unattractive etched brass elevators. The two elevators are slow and inadequate.

So, as for the room...The bathroom was very clean, and about half updated. The tiled tub area gave indication of its actual age. The bathroom was quite ample and allowed for two people to easily get ready at the same time. The tempurature and water pressure were quite good, but the drain in the tub, even when fully open, does not quickly drain water. I ended up taking a shower while standing in ankle deep, used water. Gross.

The room itself was well appointed with a microwave, mini fridge, desk, and flat screen TV. The bed skirt was stained on all sides and the thin, scratchy, clearly old sheets, we're also stained (though obviously laundered). The room would have been generally quiet had it not been for the screaming kids in the hallway both at night and in the morning. That was the end for me. We stayed one night and left the next morning. We wanted a better experience for our final night, and we found it at a competing hotel chain. Incidentally, they didn't bother to ask why we were checking out early. I suppose it happens a lot.

Really disappointing experience all around and will not return. If you are a man, or a woman who doesnt mind being treated like she doesn't exist, and you don't mind the other issues I mentioned, I'm sure this is a fine hotel. It did seem clean, except for the bedding that I described.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I want to begin by thanking you for your honest response with both negative and positive aspects of your experience with us. I am very sorry to hear about your disappointing guest service experience. We continually strive to exceed guests' expectations and it is obvious we did not do this for you. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss this further and if there is anything I can do to get you and your husband to come back to our hotel for a second try. We take all of our guest feedback as training material and greatly appreciate the time you took to let us know how we are being perceived by our guests.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights and was satisfied enough to book again for my upcoming trip in a few weeks. Front desk was friendly, the breakfasts were good. Typical HGI, and that's why I look for them. Room service, however, needs improvement: one night my pizza had the wrong toppings and the next night they lost my order and I had to call when it didn't arrive.

Room Tip: I always like the higher floors.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
ReneeWriedt, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Denver South Park Meadows Area, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We’re very sorry you experienced an undesirable stay and level of customer service with us. The problems you mentioned with room service have been addressed. We appreciate you alerting us to this issue and we hope you will give us a second chance if you return to the area.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I was in the area for an extended stay and could not have picked a better hotel! The staff was so very nice and accomodating! I didnt have a car and the fact that they provided a shuttle to and from appointments and shopping was very important. Alonzo, and the rest of the drivers, were so helpful to suggest places to eat and didnt hesitate to run me to Target, just to grab a few essentials, or to the movies a couple of days. Everyone i dealt with was so friendly and, being a lady traveling alone, it was nice to know that i had new "friends" to look out for me.
The hot breakfast was well done. Made to order omelettes and fresh made salsa. Yum! The burger and chicken sandwich were good for lunch and dinner. Very friendly wait staff!
All in all, i could not have asked for a better experience! Thank you Alonzo, Andrew, Katie and Jeremy! We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kygirl1104
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed here over a weekend partly for a conference, partly to shop and enjoy. This is a beautiful property with pool, spa, and fun bar and restaurant area off the lobby, that is not only convenient, but the food is tasty as well. Make sure you ask for directions as this hotel, though right next to I-25 South, is in the middle of a business park. At night, it's a bit difficult to follow the winding road through the park to the hotel. Once you see it in daylight, it is easy access to I-25 from the hotel. Beds are adjustable firmness, rooms have microwave, fridges, cookies, water, coffee, and tea. Bathrooms are nicely equipped with Bath and Body Works amenities and great fluffy towels. Our room was very quiet, probably because their occupancy rate is much lower on the weekends, also the rate is a great deal on weekends. The staff at the desk, restaurant and bar were all cheerful and attentive. This is going to be our new getaway weekend hotel. Very close to Park Meadows area, and quick access north and east via E 470 North tollway. Parking is plentiful, close to doors, and well-lit. No negatives at all.

Room Tip: Higher floors facing west look toward mountains.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed here overnight on a return from a ski trip. I chose this property for its location that made it easy to get out of Denver in the morning, and for the bed & breakfast rate that was offered. Check-in was very fast, and the room was very clean, as is typical of HGI properties. The room was a little on the small side but still adequate. Service at breakfast was excellent, and the made-to-order omelettes were excellent!

The one problem that I experienced, and what kept me from giving this property a 5 star rating, was the fact that when I went to use the hot tub, I was greeted by a pool and hot tub that were both completely drained for maintenance. There was no signage indicating this on the door to the pool area, or at the front desk. I brought this up at check-out, and the clerk apologized, said the sign had been on the front desk when he left the morning before, and credited my Hhonors account an additional 5,000 points for the inconvenience. I was certainly satisfied with the way he handled the situation.

Overall, a good place to stay if you are in this part of Denver!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jason B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Englewood
Homewood Suites Denver Tech Center
Hampton Inn & Suites Denver / South-RidgeGate
Hyatt Place Denver Tech Center
Hyatt Place Denver Tech Center
#1 of 15 in Greenwood Village

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Denver South Park Meadows Area? Share your experiences!