“A Mountain Staple”

Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 4, 2012

It occured to us last evening while we were at the Peck House that I have not reviewed this go-to mountain restaurant. We are locals who eat at the Peck House at least every other month and we all commented last night that we have NEVER had a bad meal there. The service is wonderful, the food fresh and innovative and everything is always done to perfection. Last night the duck pate was oh so tasty and the fresh tomatos with mozzarella and fresh basil were great starters. Although we have never had occasion to stay there, this restaurant is located in an historic hotel and we were happy to hear from the wait staff that the hotel has been busy all summer. I highly recommend this restaurant if you are a Colorado visitor or just a local like me (Evergreen, CO).

1  Thank klcveep

Reviewed February 28, 2012

Check out the monthly specials and make reservations! Christmas time is great! After an evening at Black Hawk would be great!

3  Thank Marlene S
Reviewed September 12, 2011

From the time we arrived Friday afternoon until the minute we drove away mid-morning Sunday, we were treated like royalty. Our children gave us this weekend as an anniversary present and what a thrill. Wonderfully quaint decor, atmosphere the best, and the owners (and their entire staff) could not have been more hospitable. Our daughter-in-law in Kansas found the Peck House online and took a chance. The best click she ever made for sure. We will return often.

1  Thank 624U
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Let me start off by saying my family has been eating at the Peck House for over 25 years. My grandparents used to take us here whenever we came to visit them in Denver. My mom and I were visiting the Denver area this past week for a family member's funeral and knew we had to make our usual trip to The Peck House. We arrived early, at 5:00 pm so we could avoid a crowd since the dining room is very small. We were "greeted" by Kathy who asked if we had reservations. She was very unfriendly and even more so when we said we did not have reservations. She started shaking her head, looking at her "list" of reservations and said she had a full list of reservations. Without saying a word, she grabbed menus and took off around the corner to the far side of the dining room. My mom and I were not sure if we should follow or wait. We eventually decided to head in Kathy's direction. Imagine our surprise when after being treated very rudely about not having reservations that ...wait for it....NOBODY was in the dining room! Kathy had already set our menus down and filled our water glasses, then walked right past us without saying a word. We were hoping our server would change the tone of our bad start to dinner but alas...guess who was our server? Yep! Kathy! She asked for our drink order. I asked if they had a wine list. Kathy quipped, very sarcastically, "We have a Full Bar! Would you like a wine list?" Ummm...yes, please. She sat the wine list down and left for more than 5 minutes. I actually had to yell out saying I was ready to order a glass of wine. Kathy continued to be rude and short with us the whole 1 1/2 hours we were there. Finally at 6:00 pm, a table of 4 came in and that put Kathy in a great mood....for THEM, not my mom and I. The food we ordered was delicious - our only nice part of the evening. The Trout was tender and melted in my mouth. My mom's steak was just as tender and delicious. Kathy spent most of her time tending to the 1 other table in the dining room besides ours. She even brought dessert menus to the other table so they could decide ahead of time what they wanted for dessert but left dirty dishes in front of my mom and I and walked past us instead of offering us dessert menus. This time, my mom had to yell out to Kathy and ask if we could have dessert menus. The desserts were heavenly. I ordered the chocolate cake and my mom ordered the apple streudel. Our dinner was completely ruined by the rudeness of Kathy. Thank goodness, "Gary" the chef delivered wonderful food - otherwise, I would leave a "0". By the way, we left at 6:30 pm and the dining room was empty except for the 1 other table. I took pics to prove it. Thanks Kathy for being so unnecessarily rude to us for not having reservations. Let me guess...everyone cancelled at the last minute? Such a shame - we will never return. Plenty of other delicious restaurants in the Empire, Georgetown, Idaho Springs, etc. area to eat! Too expensive to be treated like this! For 2, our meal was over $100!

2  Thank travelsista
Reviewed May 3, 2011

We stayed at the Peck House for our anniversary, and wow, what a wonderful meal we had there. The tenderloin was fork-tender with a pan sauce that made it tempting to lick the plate. I had salmon with a brown sugar/lime/macadamia nut glaze. Don't even get me started on the dessert -- a torte with pound cake, dark chocolate, apricots, brandy, and pecans. Oh, man!

Everything was beautifully presented, and the service was excellent. Who knew that there was such a top-rate restaurant in little old Empire? It's really not very far from Denver, and well worth the trip.

1  Thank jbettin