“The line lets you know the food is good”
Review of Cafe 163

Cafe 163
Ranked #11 of 57 Restaurants in Edwards
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Open for breakfast and lunch.
Bainbridge Island, Washington
“The line lets you know the food is good”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

ok, we only had to wait for 10 minutes for a table, but we generally are not good at waiting. The breakfast service was a little slow, but worth the wait. Nice to have a choice of dark or medium roast coffee (not just brown water) and everything came out together, hot and done just as ordered (including soft poached eggs on the benedict and the scrambled omelet!). If I lived in Edwards, I would be back.

Visited August 2012

Vail, Colorado
“The Place to Meet”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Cafe 163 has become a local favorite very quickly. Whether it is breakfast or lunch, this is the place to meet your friends or a business associate. Wide variety of dishes. Excellent quality and good service at a good price.

Visited July 2012
denver
“Hope you have an hour for breakfast”
Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

We ate here last year and had a similar experience. It took 50 minutes to get a breakfast sandwich. Good food. Very poorly run

Vail, Colorado, United States
“Lunch better than breakfast”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I recently reviewed Cafe 163 for lunch and thought it was very good. However, I was dissapointed in breakfast. I thought it was overpriced for the portions and there was nothing out of the ordinary being served. My 8 year old daughter and I tallied up $36 after tip and tax, which is way too much for two average breakfasts and two small glasses of juice.

• Visited June 2012
Denver, Colorado
“Service with a huge smile”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Cafe 163 is aptly named for the exit number off I-70 in Vail Valley (Eagle County), Colorado. Breakfast is my favorite meal at 163, particularly at lunch! What a concept, being able to brekkies at lunchtime. My favorite time to have brekkies at Cafe 163 is about 11:00 a.m. on a winter morning after two hours on the slopes at Beaver Creek, preferably on a powder day!

It is amazing what co-owner/manager Jeff Sandoval and his staff can do. The servers are for the most part bright and sunny. I've peeked in the kitchen and it's about the size of my closet! Usually about six people are hard at work back there on a busy morning.

I give breakfast five stars. The bacon is scrumptious and thick-cut. I'm a fan of simple sunny side up eggs, bacon and French fries (which I ask for in place of breakfast potatoes because they are so dang good!). The breakfast potatoes are yummy. The corned beef hash is a winner too. Of course, my husband is a huge fan of the breakfast burrito which is a meal for two, but he never shares! Oh well, after a morning of hard skiing or biking (in summer), I guess he deserves his own breakfast burrito.

Other items at breakfast include their delicious pancakes. Light and fluffy. They also have gluten free pancakes that are delicious. The omelets are great, but I always ask for it to be a little wet, otherwise it's too dry for me. Just about everything on the brekkies menu is yummy, except the grits. Perhaps northerners like it, but I'm a Southern girl and therefore quite picky about my grits. I can tell you, however, they serve biscuits that would make any southern grandma happy! I am creature of habit and since they do eggs so well, I go for them about 75% of the time (in winter, I'll eat there on average about 3 times a week). Perhaps someone else will add their comments on other menu items.

Lunch items are good, but not as good as brekkies. The cob salad with chicken is my favorite. It's huge and so full of goodies. The chicken breast is moist and tasty and an ever so generous portion! The gyro is very good. I love the egg salad on tomatoes. Jeff actually is able to find tomatoes that taste like tomatoes! What a concept! The Philly Cheesesteak is good, too.

They just started serving dinner. I haven't been in yet, but hope to get there soon. Jeff describes his fare as "upscale diner" food reminiscent of growing up in Chicago.

They serve great choices of non-high fructose corn syrup sodas (the root beer's my favorite) and their tea and coffee are excellent.

Be ready to wait for a table between 9:30 and noon on Saturdays and Sundays. But be patient and relax outside if the weather's nice. The tables turn quickly and it's worth the wait. Or sit at the bar. That's fun and you get great, attentive service!

Do not sit at the tables at the far end of the restaurant, unless you want a bird's eye view of the potties! Not my fave. Actually, the potty view is why I don't give them an excellent rating.

No doubt you'll have a fun time at Cafe 163 and want to try them for each meal of the day.

• Visited May 2012