“Good affordable place for a 1 night stopover”
Review of Super 8 Durango

Super 8 Durango
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Durango
NJ Shore
“Good affordable place for a 1 night stopover”
Reviewed July 4, 2010

I stayed at this hotel after my late flight from durango before i headed into cortez. Hotel is conveniently located and i think is the closest from the airport. The front desk worker was very nice and willing to help. My room had 1 queen bed, tv, kerig coffee maker and more. I wasn't looking for a top notch hotel, only a clean room with cold air conditioning. The room, shower and bathroom were all very clean and walls looked recently painted. Bed was comfortable, but pillows could use some updating as they felt worn. The hallways could use some wall decorations to look less stark, but that's only my aesthetic opinion. Breakfast had coffee, bagels, english muffins, toaster, jelly's, peanut butter, muffins, juice. I didn't expect anything more at breakfast from a budget hotel. Overall, i am impressed as most super 8's i've stayed in are a big seedy. This one was safe and clean, which was my top priority.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
MidWest
Reviewed July 3, 2010

Stayed one night 8/09. Any motel in Durango in Summer is $$$. Got a room for $99. Normally stay at next higher tier of motels, but even places like Quality Inn/Comfort Inn, etc., are asking $150-$170 a night, which is just too steep for my budget. This place is definitely not worth a hundred bucks a night. Room was very basic and cheap, no frills, and moderately clean. Had the appearance of being well used. Carpet and furniture old, worn, etc. Bathroom was not mopped well, hairs in tub, stains on walls, etc. A/C was old and very loud, but worked. Wi-fi was generally slow, but coverage in the motel was good. They had several routers spread out in the motel. There was some trash in the hallway near the lobby (big bag and boxes) that just sat there the whole time-extremely tacky. Parking lot was reasonably lit, but very small & cramped. I had a long bed truck and had a hard time parking at night once the lot was nearly full. Someone with a trailer or RV would be in bad shape here. Bed was comfortable, and motel noise level (except A/C) was acceptable, given it is right up against Hwy. 160. If the A/C was a bit quieter, noise might be an issue, but the A/C noise drowned out any highway noise. The real story here is my business associate who also booked a room. The A/C in his room did not work. Staff said they run the A/C's all day, and it was probably frozen. They said turn it off for a few min., and turn it back on. Did not fix. A/C filter was filthy, and the grill on the A/C was lying on the floor. They moved him to a smoking room (only thing left), and the A/C in that room didn't cool down enough either. The second room did not have a refrigerator either. My friend wound up checking out at 9:30pm because he was too uncomfortable, and I had to take him to a more expensive motel down the road. This caused some inconvenience, but fortunately, he was given a refund. The breakfast was very modest, but decent. Nothing to complain about. Lobby and setup was generally clean. Possibly the best thing about the stay. This motel is in great need of new air conditioners, and other basic makeovers (furniture, etc.), as it is wearing down fast. The A/C boxes (looking from parking lot) are old, rusty, and worn. This place has definitely seen better days. This place might not be such a bad deal if the price was about half of what I paid, but for a hundred bucks a night; no way. Not worth it at all. For a hundred bucks a night, I had better have a smile on my face, and this place did not cut it. If you have a tight budget, can't afford the nicer motels, and have low expectations, this place might work out if you got lucky like me and get a halfway decent room. However, you are rolling the dice. My business associate rolled the dice and lost. I would not stay here again unless I was in a jam. It's just not worth the price.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed June 7, 2010

As we were starting out on our vacation we had some car troubles that lasted a lengthy time. We chose to stay at Super 8, one for the price and from then on it was the employees. All of the emplyees we encountered were very considerate of our situation. We have traveled our entire adult lives being Military Veterans and of all the motels we have stayed at we have never really been treated with respect as we were at this location. Housekeeping was at our disposal as were the management. We enjoyed it so much that we will be staying in Durango next Spring as well when we return to say our hellos to. We felt like a big family there. May want to consider a pool though. We are in Kansas City and we have a Super 8 not to far from us. Thank you for Mary the Manager and Zak the Assistant Manager. They were a blessing to us.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Flora Vista, NM
Reviewed October 26, 2009

For a Super 8 the room was not bad. Larger than most rooms you get in this chain and reasonably clean. The bedding is not the best but comfortable. The property looks a bit better on the outside than inside but it is not too bad. Check in was smooth and the front desk people were nice and friendly. The AC/Heater was new and worked pretty efficiently. There was microwave popcorn and Oreo cookies left in the room and the coffee machine was a Krups capsule type. There were several verities of coffee in the room (other capsules were available from the front desk for around $1). I was not able to partake of the breakfast so I cannot comment on it on this trip but I have stayed at this hotel in the past and it was a fairly standard continental breakfast (some pastries, donuts, bagels, toast, etc with milk, juice, coffee, and tea). The rates here can be a bit high for what you get, particularly in the summer time/peak ski days and fall colors, but the shoulder season rates and even some of their winter rates are reasonable for what you get for this area. The door rate was around $130 which is ridiculous for this Super 8 but unfortunately about par with other hotels in Durango during the peak seasons. I paid less than that for two nights this trip and it was about the right price.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Orlando, FL
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We had problems with our reservation for the Super 8 Florence and ended up having to go to the one in Durango (this one) at 10 pm at night. Luckily, they did have a room for us. Check-in was fast and efficient. Unfortunately, the room was rundown, especially for the price, and the a/c kept freezing up. I finally got it working, thank goodness, after fiddling with it for quite awhile. When I reported the problem, the person at the front desk just stared at me blankly. The location was very convenient if you are going to Royal Gorge and/or riding the Royal Gorge Railroad

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Twin Cities, MN
Reviewed August 29, 2009

I originally booked at the Travelodge in Durango (see my review), but walked out shortly after checking in. When I had looked online the previous evening (and checked tripadvisor :) ), the Super 8 was booked. I stopped at several other motel/hotels, and then thought I'd double-check the Super 8. Happily, there was one king, non-smoking, room available. I was given room 209. The entire floor seemed to be non-smoking. I noticed no smell of smoke anywhere in the hotel.

I was happy with my room. Keurig coffee maker (cool and good coffee, but took a while to figure out) in the room with 3 samples, great working air conditioner, nice big comfy recliner near the bed. Free fast internet.

If I was going to be incredibly picky, I could complain about the 3 pillows on the bed - they were soft and small. But that's all being picky; the hotel was nice and quiet, the room was free of odd odors, and the motel was everything I would hope for for the price ($98 - when they quote you the first price ask if they have anything lower - they immediately offered the $98 price).

The staff at the motel were really very nice to me. I liked them all. They knew I was traveling on my own (my traveling partner had had a death in the family), and I think they just kind of watched out for me a bit. They were pleasant, friendly but not intrusive, and just all-around kind to me. In my book, that counts for a lot. I inadvertantly left my rental car key downstairs; the staff held on to it for me but didn't call to bother me with it, as they thought I might be sleeping. They were thoughtful. When I left, one of the front desk clerks called out to me and thanked me for staying there, and said goodbye to me. It was pretty nice, I thought.

I've seen some reviews of the continental breakfast. I didn't have the chance to sample, so can't comment. I figure if it's free (and at $98/night, I'd call it "free" - Durango isn't inexpensive), it's fine. The coffee in the lobby wasn't great, but it was fine. I did attach some pics of the breakfast area. Just adjacent to the seating area is a computer for guest use. There is a printer attached, so you can check in for your flight and print out your boarding passes. That was a nice touch.

I saw some reviews complaining about the cleanliness of the motel. I didn't notice anything to suggest that the hotel was not clean. The housekeeping staff was hard at work when I was at the hotel, and they were friendly to me. I was happy with the cleanliness of my room and of the lobby area when I stayed there.

The Super 8 is driving distance from anywhere you would want to go. But, Durango (other than downtown historic Durango) is spread out, so it wasn't unexpected or a hassle.

I was happy with my stay, with the staff, and the price. I would happily stay here again. I have no complaints; only compliments. I thought it was an excellent value for the price.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank tarapup
Bologna, Italy
Reviewed August 19, 2009

It's not a "terrible" hotel, but I gave a two star rate because the reception and the breakfast room are dirty, so the elevator (wit a terrible smell in it), the service at the check in poor.
The room is spacious, the linen ok and so the towels , but the AC is noisy and we've found some stains on the carpet.
Overall a bad impression of dirty. Too high price for the value.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Durango hotels