“And when I walked in it was SURPRISE! Your rate changed”
Review of Super 8 Durango

Super 8 Durango
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Durango
Durango, Colorado
“And when I walked in it was SURPRISE! Your rate changed”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Having stayed a hundreds of Super 8 all across the country this was a first for me! I am traveling with a couple who also booked a room at this motel. They did it on line and everything was fine. Room is what they expected etc. Not me, I call the motel and actually talked with a desk cTislerk and made my reservation. I was given the rate of $80 a night with AARP discount. This is the rate my friends paid - two person the their room. I paid $97 for one person. When I questioned the desk about the difference they informed me that my friend MUST have reserved the room through expedia or orbitz. I ask if they would honor the rate I was quoted and the response was "You must have been misquoted" and no they would not. I asked how about I cancel and make the reservation online? This being a saturday the motel was pretty full and I most likely could not get a room.... Rock and a Hard spot right? Needless to say I won't make a reservation on the phone. I will call and confirm what is available but will reserve my rooms online.
The room itself was not great either! Stains on the carpet, Recliner , which I Really like about Super 8 was badly stained and worn. For $100 a night I expect a little more. So like many other reviews for the particular motel - This isn't special it's a rip-off!

Room Tip: call and verify but reserve on line!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I'm not picky, seriously, I'm not. And I'm not one for leaving reviews, or complaint notes to management, but this place warranted both. The room itself was dirty on arrival - hair in sink and tub, jelly on the faucet handles, trash not emptied, the carpet has random circles cut over something and then just layed losely on the floor. The carpet near the elavators looks 40 years old and is a walking hazard due to coming lose from floor. If I didn't keep the air conditioner running constantly the wrench of stink in the room would make me naseous. And funny....a sweet little "give me a tip envelope" from the maid (signed Mike).

SPEND THE EXTRA 30 AND STAY ELSEWHERE!!!!!

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Durango hotels

Michigan
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I think I'm fairly open minded but this place is the pits.$111 paid was out of pure desperation of sleep. We walked into the room and the light was already on and it appeared someone had sat on the bed previously. The floor looked like it had not been swept along the floor boards. The 2 sitting chairs had SERIOUS stains on the entire seat. The lamp had a hole in the back of it. The shower curtain was mildewed and stained...but the best part was the jack hammering water pipes. The sheet looked safe but the blankets-not a chance! We got up early to get on the road and as soon as I got the shampoo in my hair the pipes started banging so loud it scared my family in the other room. I shut the water off and turned it back on. The jack hammering still continued. My family of 4 each had to shower and I'm sure at 6 am was a thrill to all of those still wanting to sleep! I had every intention of discussing these issues with the staff...at breakfast another guest beat me too it. Her complaints were spot on to mine. The employee went and got the manager... the managers face said it all. The look of disdain on the manager's face was enough. She gave the lady 25% off her stay. Seriously??? Her total lack of interest was enough to know it would do no good to discuss the issue. I mentioned the "entertaining water pipes" to the employee and she gave the manager a sheepish look. Obviously NOT the first time they've had this discussion! So unless your desperate KEEP ON DRIVING!

Room Tip: This room was 226!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Milton, Florida
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Where to start,checked in on Saturday afternoon. Everything looks tired carpets bedspreads furniture walls,everything!The room smelled foul as I entered.i did not know they allowed pets and apparently this was one of the pet rooms,125.because of this smell I also checked the pillows for cleanliness I did not find a hair I found many long dark hairs on both pillows and the sheets too.i immediately asked for and received another room that was O.K. The Internet did not work and after telling the desk they continually informed me they would reset it.It never worked! This property does not deserve any stars on a scale of 1 to 10. It is a 2

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Me and my three kids were in Durango to ride the train and we stayed here. It is a typical budget motel and nothing special. We stayed two nights but were so busy that we really didn't spend much time in the room at all. We all slept okay, so I guess that's important. One thing that worked well for us was that the shower/toilet are separate from the sink. That made getting the crew out the door in the morning faster. My kids didn't like the old TV, but it got the channels they wanted.

Room Tip: We had a room with two beds, and even with all our gear, there was still space to move around.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at this motel recently! The room was clean and comfortable, and the staff were friendly and helpful. I really did enjoy the waffles at breakfast! I was surprised at how large the room was and the hallways are huge! I would definitely come back again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Montclair, NJ
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I choose this motel because of the price and it was what I expected. It was a little hard to find from the road even as I saw it when I went by on the highway. I had to backtrack a little on an access road. The folks were nice, but not overly friendly. My rooms was bigger than I thought it would be, and it was dated but clean. The bedspread was oldish, but I just dump that on the floor anyhow. The sheets and blanket looked pretty new.

I guess it had what I needed (comfy bed, hot shower, internet) at a price under $100...which was pretty good for Durango in the summer. Cheaper would have been better, but what the hey!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the road...there is a nice view and the motel is in an office park s...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo