“Would not go back”

Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Durango
Edmonton, Canada
“Would not go back”
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Stepping on to the third floor of this hotel, the hallway smelled like smoke; going into our non-smoking room, you could still smell the musty scent that comes when hotels are converted from smoking to non. The room required the air-conditioning to be on, but it was incredibly loud. It sounded like someone had left a lawn mower running in the middle of the room. Obviously, we had a poor sleep.

The room was clean, but there was a lack of attention to detail. For instance, we only received one cup for coffee and all the single serving packets were decaf.

The continental breakfast was standard, but it was quite busy when we went down just before 7 and there were lineups at their single-serving coffee machine.

While there was ample parking and free wireless, overall, our stay was uncomfortable and we did not think it was good value for the price we paid.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank theseoldroads

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
western colorado
Reviewed May 26, 2011

After avoiding this place for over a year and a half, I decided to try it again after my regular motel was booked. The ice machine on the 2nd floor is still not working. The pastries, fruit, and bagels are the same ones they were setting out the last stay. Two toasters, one side broken on each. Threadbare dirty carpet on the stairs and in the hallways. Rock hard beds, extremely noisy heater/AC units, towels scratchy and thin, blankets to match. If it weren't for location because of work I wouldn't have considered this dump again and I certainly won't try it again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank fisherman43

Travelers are raving about these Durango hotels

Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 18, 2011

This place was gross. Major Dark Stains on BOTH mattresses, looked like blood but who knows. The floor was DISGUSTING, and there was pubic hair on every surface in the bathroom, and long black hairs and pubic hairs in the beds. Very gross. They accept pets--the ONLY positive thing about the place. $65 a night plus $10 per pet, no deposit, but not worth it. Customer service was excellent... but the room was bad. DON'T STAY HERE--unless you are murdering the person you're there with!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank momnjacomnlilman
NJ Shore
Reviewed July 4, 2010

I stayed at this hotel after my late flight from durango before i headed into cortez. Hotel is conveniently located and i think is the closest from the airport. The front desk worker was very nice and willing to help. My room had 1 queen bed, tv, kerig coffee maker and more. I wasn't looking for a top notch hotel, only a clean room with cold air conditioning. The room, shower and bathroom were all very clean and walls looked recently painted. Bed was comfortable, but pillows could use some updating as they felt worn. The hallways could use some wall decorations to look less stark, but that's only my aesthetic opinion. Breakfast had coffee, bagels, english muffins, toaster, jelly's, peanut butter, muffins, juice. I didn't expect anything more at breakfast from a budget hotel. Overall, i am impressed as most super 8's i've stayed in are a big seedy. This one was safe and clean, which was my top priority.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
MidWest
Reviewed July 3, 2010

Stayed one night 8/09. Any motel in Durango in Summer is $$$. Got a room for $99. Normally stay at next higher tier of motels, but even places like Quality Inn/Comfort Inn, etc., are asking $150-$170 a night, which is just too steep for my budget. This place is definitely not worth a hundred bucks a night. Room was very basic and cheap, no frills, and moderately clean. Had the appearance of being well used. Carpet and furniture old, worn, etc. Bathroom was not mopped well, hairs in tub, stains on walls, etc. A/C was old and very loud, but worked. Wi-fi was generally slow, but coverage in the motel was good. They had several routers spread out in the motel. There was some trash in the hallway near the lobby (big bag and boxes) that just sat there the whole time-extremely tacky. Parking lot was reasonably lit, but very small & cramped. I had a long bed truck and had a hard time parking at night once the lot was nearly full. Someone with a trailer or RV would be in bad shape here. Bed was comfortable, and motel noise level (except A/C) was acceptable, given it is right up against Hwy. 160. If the A/C was a bit quieter, noise might be an issue, but the A/C noise drowned out any highway noise. The real story here is my business associate who also booked a room. The A/C in his room did not work. Staff said they run the A/C's all day, and it was probably frozen. They said turn it off for a few min., and turn it back on. Did not fix. A/C filter was filthy, and the grill on the A/C was lying on the floor. They moved him to a smoking room (only thing left), and the A/C in that room didn't cool down enough either. The second room did not have a refrigerator either. My friend wound up checking out at 9:30pm because he was too uncomfortable, and I had to take him to a more expensive motel down the road. This caused some inconvenience, but fortunately, he was given a refund. The breakfast was very modest, but decent. Nothing to complain about. Lobby and setup was generally clean. Possibly the best thing about the stay. This motel is in great need of new air conditioners, and other basic makeovers (furniture, etc.), as it is wearing down fast. The A/C boxes (looking from parking lot) are old, rusty, and worn. This place has definitely seen better days. This place might not be such a bad deal if the price was about half of what I paid, but for a hundred bucks a night; no way. Not worth it at all. For a hundred bucks a night, I had better have a smile on my face, and this place did not cut it. If you have a tight budget, can't afford the nicer motels, and have low expectations, this place might work out if you got lucky like me and get a halfway decent room. However, you are rolling the dice. My business associate rolled the dice and lost. I would not stay here again unless I was in a jam. It's just not worth the price.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed June 7, 2010

As we were starting out on our vacation we had some car troubles that lasted a lengthy time. We chose to stay at Super 8, one for the price and from then on it was the employees. All of the emplyees we encountered were very considerate of our situation. We have traveled our entire adult lives being Military Veterans and of all the motels we have stayed at we have never really been treated with respect as we were at this location. Housekeeping was at our disposal as were the management. We enjoyed it so much that we will be staying in Durango next Spring as well when we return to say our hellos to. We felt like a big family there. May want to consider a pool though. We are in Kansas City and we have a Super 8 not to far from us. Thank you for Mary the Manager and Zak the Assistant Manager. They were a blessing to us.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Flora Vista, NM
Reviewed October 26, 2009

For a Super 8 the room was not bad. Larger than most rooms you get in this chain and reasonably clean. The bedding is not the best but comfortable. The property looks a bit better on the outside than inside but it is not too bad. Check in was smooth and the front desk people were nice and friendly. The AC/Heater was new and worked pretty efficiently. There was microwave popcorn and Oreo cookies left in the room and the coffee machine was a Krups capsule type. There were several verities of coffee in the room (other capsules were available from the front desk for around $1). I was not able to partake of the breakfast so I cannot comment on it on this trip but I have stayed at this hotel in the past and it was a fairly standard continental breakfast (some pastries, donuts, bagels, toast, etc with milk, juice, coffee, and tea). The rates here can be a bit high for what you get, particularly in the summer time/peak ski days and fall colors, but the shoulder season rates and even some of their winter rates are reasonable for what you get for this area. The door rate was around $130 which is ridiculous for this Super 8 but unfortunately about par with other hotels in Durango during the peak seasons. I paid less than that for two nights this trip and it was about the right price.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple