“As expected”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Colorado
“As expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2008

I like the Hampton Inn chain and have stayed in several of their hotels in various states over the past few years. The Durango Hampton Inn was as I expected - clean, comfortable and reasonably priced.

I spent two nights at the Durango Hampton Inn in a double room, which was spotless and very comfortable. I love their beds and that they provide several pillows to choose from. I also appreciate that they offer my kind of breakfast - cereal and yogurt - and that they provide warm cookies in the evenings for hotel guests (8 pm at this location).

My room faced a busy road, but with the AC fan on, noise wasn't a problem. There wasn't any view to speak of, but I didn't expect one, so I wasn't disappointed. The location worked well for me- just a short drive to town.

I found the Durango Hampton Inn staff to be friendly and helpful and I would certainly stay at this location again.

• Liked — Comfortable bed and nice selection of pillows
  • Disliked — Road noise would have been a problem without AC fan
  • Stayed May 2008
1 Thank Melnq8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

This was an above average Hampton Inn. The staff was friendly and helpful, providing tips for local restaurants and shopping. The rooms were clean and well maintained. The hotel was a good value and location for the area.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
scottsdale Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2007

As President of our car club, I phoned in directly to the Hampton Inn months in advance and block booked 20 rooms for our members. At the same time, I made a personal reservation for myself and my wife.
At that point in time, they should have had one reservation number for the 20 room block booking and a separate confirmation number for my personal reservations. However, they failed to do this. The hotel faxed me a personal confirmation including all the details of the room we preferred. Each member was to phone in using their own credit card, reserve the room of their choice, and receive their individual confirmation number. On July 2nd, I phoned the hotel and instructed them to cancel any of the remaining rooms that were not taken. Unfortunately, since my personal reservation number and the block booking number were the same, they canceled my personal room as well. This is obviously a flaw in their bookkeeping procedure. When I arrived on July 19th I was told we had no personal reservation and the hotel was booked solid. They sent us off to a flea bag hotel for the night, the only room available in the area. We paid for that room and my wife got a spider bite on her face. Rooms became available at the Hampton the next day and we booked the following two nights there. Because of the inconvenience it caused us, I asked them to comp one or two of the nights and they refused. The manager told me we didn’t have to come back there for the two nights, it was our choice and we should pay. I should point out this is the second time in 4 years that I selected the Hampton Inn in Durango as the hotel of choice for our car club as we toured the local area. They took no responsibility for their poor operating system and the inconvenience it caused us. I should also point out that I held several conversations with them, following up, name by name, which of our members had phoned in for their individual reservations. You would think someone there would have noticed their error. We recapped this again on July 2nd when I cancelled the unused remaining rooms of the original 20. Needless to say, we will never be going back to the Hampton Inn, Durango. Paul Ebeyer, Arizona BMW Z Series Club

Stayed July 2007
3 Thank strutman
Tucson, AZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2007

We arrived with a group of 13 couples for a 3 night stay. Upon arrival, the gentlemen who had arranged the trip and handled the reservations with the Hampton was informed that his reservation had been inexplicably canceled. Even though he produced a written confirmation, the Hampton's only accommodation was to book him into a sub-standard hotel down the street for the first night, at his expense. I was standing next to him at the desk and witnessed this procedure.

We subsequently learned that two of the 13 couples had booked elsewhere due to similar previous problems with the Hampton. Be very wary when booking here and be sure to reconfirm your arrangements.

The hotel did have several pluses, namely very comfortable beds, complimentary wireless internet, and close proximity to the trolley which provides convenient transportation to the downtown area.

On the negative side, the rooms were on the smallish side, the breakfast area was generally way overcrowded, and the work of the housekeeping staff left something to be desired. On one of our nights we found a considerable amount of hair in the tub and the color did not match either of ours. Additionally, this hotel is on the far north end of town and there is not much to walk to in the area.

The staff informed us that the hotel is 100% booked in the tourist season and that probably explains the very high room rates. Although I am a Hilton Honors Silver member, we will stay elsewhere on our next visit.

• Liked — Wireless service was fast & reliable, nice beds
  • Disliked — Management's attitude
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
Ljubljana, Slovenia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2007

From the outside the hotel didn't look anything special, but from the inside it was very nice. The check-in was extremely friendly and all of my requests about the room location were granted. We got a top floor room with a mountain view. This really is a parking lot view with some valley view. But hotel room view is one of the last factors I consider when choosing accommodation, so I didn't pay much attention to this. The room was very nice, clean and nicely prepared. There were even some welcome cookies, salty snacks and water bottles waiting for us on the beds. The rooms aren't the newest but are in good shape and obviously constantly updated. This year they must have changed the shower curtains as it was brand new. The rooms are a bit smaller than usually in the States which might be a problem if you come for a longer period of time and with more luggage. We used the coin laundry facility and found it clean and cheap. We were there for 2 nights and the hotel seemed to be completely full. This could be noted by the pool being constantly (over)occupied, so we didn't get the chance to use it, and with the parking lot totally full when we returned from a show downtown late in the evening. However it was quiet in the hotel during the night. Breakfast is average continental + some hot items, the real problem is the breakfast room. I estimate there are only between 8 and 12 tables, even these are crammed into a tiny corner, so we were having troubles getting in and out and the area filled up completely soon after they started breakfast. In such a busy destination with all year season they should adequately plan the breakfast area. This hotel is far north of downtown Durango, so you really need a car to get downtown. Paid slightly below 90 USD a night, which I found quite appropriate and would gladly visit again.

• Liked — Good housekeeping
  • Disliked — Crowded and too small breakfast area
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Slo-Lju
willard, ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2007

the best hamton inn i've ever stayed at. wireless internet worked, beds were super. good tv channel selection. ac worked great.

• Liked — room was clean and modern
  • Disliked — breakfast selection
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Indianapolis, IN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2007

We stayed at the Hampton for 7 nights at the end of June. The rooms were okay, but I expected more for the rate we paid. The breakfast was okay, but the breakfast seating area was very cramped.

We needed assistance from the front desk staff on a couple of occassions and had to find another hotel staff member to track down the front desk staff. One time the manager came out to help, and she seemed particularly clueless.

Their Mountian View rooms overlook the parking lot and very busy Main Ave. The alternative is looking at run down buildings or an alley, so I guess the parking lot view is better.

The hotel is located to far from the river or downtown to walk, you will need a rental car to get around.

• Liked — the beds were comfortable
  • Disliked — the rooms were not well insulated so you could hear hallway noise and people above and next to you
  • Stayed June 2007