“You've already checked out!”

Hampton Inn Durango
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Durango
GreenLeadersBronze level
Denver, Colorado
“You've already checked out!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

arriving late and finding out that they had only one room of the three we had reserved was rather shocking to say the least...they had entered the wrong month in the system!

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

I know Hamptons are low-cost comfy places, that don't necessarily offer everything a fully priced hotel offers, and this is why I stay in them for head-down stopovers, but I had the impression before I booked that this Hampton was sufficiently close to the centre of Durango (a lovely little place where the famous train runs from) that I'd be able to amble along the main street. In fact it's way away from the town (I was passing, not stopping so just wanted a bite to eat in the meantime) and to this degree, if you're visiting Durango is not idea.

Having said that it's a Hampton, the beds are v comfortable, the staff are nice, it all easy parking etc etc. The problem with this one...because it's Durango, it's way over-priced for what it is. So whereas I always pick Hamptons for being what they are meant to be, for Durango I would make sure I stayed in the town.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain room view to improve the experience.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
CampK9, Public Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Durango, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
We are located on the north end of Main Ave. in the city limits of Durango. We are located 2 miles from the Historic District. The advantages to staying in our location is its central location to many of the area's attraction. Ease of parking, lack of noise (including the train at 7:30 in the morning), avoiding the high price tag for a night in the Historic District, and the free trolley that has a stop right outside our door. Its a great way to get Downtown, avoid the parking and fee's for parking and a great way to see the town. The busy summer month are more expensive then the winter low season. But if you compair us to other hotels in the area, I think you will find that we are competatively priced and a good value for the service you receive. Don't forget we also offer a large free breakfast every morning.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

I have to say I am not sure why there are negative reviews of this hotel. We stayed at the Hampton and found the place to be clean and comfortable. From the moment we walked in the door we were greeted (actually, each time we came in the door). The staff at the counter "loaned" my husband a $1.25 for a pop so he didn't have to go to the room. There were two breakfast bars which helped in the mornings...people were not crowded trying to get food. The breakfast was good and varied to include hot items (eggs/meat). We used the laundry facilities and they were adequate also. The FREE trolley in town had a stop right in front of the hotel and we used it several times. It made for easy access to downtown. The pool and hot tub were inside and nice to use after we went whitewater rafting (Mild to Wild Adventures is across the street from the Hampton...again super easy to get to. Ask for JACK if you take a jeep tour). The lobby had good coffee and cookies. Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank laurad_staffco
Pflugerville, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

We stay at this hotel for one night room was very clean and hotel staff was great and friendly. Had a good complimentary breakfast. Would recommend and definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Bethesda, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

I booked this hotel because the reviews on Trip Advisor seemed strong. However, the experience has been average. It is an okay room to spend a night in on a road trip--which is what we are doing. However, the pictures online do not accurately reflect the lobby, in particular. If you look at the pictures and think that the lobby will be a spacious place to relax, it isn't. The ceilings are average height and, in some places near the registration desk, the ceiling felt so low, I thought i could touch it. The rooms are clean, but small. Ours unfortunately has a view of a wall and is right around the corner from the elevator so this morning it was my alarm clock--and it is still going and i can't turn it off! As a silver member of the Hilton loyalty club, I thought i would get a slightly better view!
All in all, not bad, but glad we are only staying one night.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

I travel throughout Colorado on business. I try to stay at a Hampton Inn when possible as I typically feel I am getting the best hotel for my money. This hotel, in Durango, was the most expensive Hampton Inn I have stayed in to date. I would follow this up by saying it was probably one of the lower quality Hampton Inns as well. I realize I was mainly due to location. The room felt clean, but if also felt dated. I was given a handicap accessible room so my bed was lower than usual which was actually more difficult for me. The continental breakfast was standard for Hampton Inn. I missed the little "shop" they usually have where I would charge a bottle of water to my room. This one only had vending machines which is inconvenient in my opinion. Parking is good. The lobby furniture felt older and worn. I will say that although I knew it was a full hotel, it was very quiet.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
CampK9, Public Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Durango, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
We are sorry that your experience with us was not up to your standards. It is very uncommon for us to book someone into a handicap accessible room unless the guest requested it or it was the only room left available. The beds are lowered to help make it easier for people confined to a wheelchair transfer to the bed.

During the busy tourist season we strongly encourage people to book your room stays in advance, especially if you have a special room request. We understand that people have preferences for room location, access and views, but please understand that we are limited to what rooms are available based on occupancy.

Summers in Durango are very busy. It is common to come to town and not find one hotel room available in the area unless advanced reservations were made. It is also important to compare us to other hotels in the area. I think you will find that we are priced cometitively and have a lot to offer.

Remember that we also offer all day access to coffee and tea in the lobby and if you have a special request please ask the front desk staff. I'm sure our staff would have been more then happy to provide you with a bottle of water.
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

After backpacking 5 days and 4 nights in the Weminuche Wilderness, we treated ourselves to a hotel room in Durango. (We needed it!)
We booked online using our Hilton Honors points..the process was seamless. The staff at the front desk was welcoming. Our room was clean and appointed with everything we could possibly need. (Flat screen TV too!)
Our room was backed up to some townhouses, but we didnt mind, we were not there for a view.
There was a free breakfast in the morning and I was pleasantly surprised! There was a waffle iron, toaster, fresh fruit, pastries, yogurt, a selection of cereals, oatmeal, juices, coffee, scrambles eggs, sausage, potatoes, bagels, and it was good. The gentleman that was taking care of the breakfast area was so nice. He kept a watchful eye on the food and replenished items when they were running low. He even helped some folks with the operation of the toaster and waffle iron. We chatted with him (I wish I would have asked his name) and he made us feel so welcome.
This was a great experience and we will stay here again!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
We are so glad that you were able to treat yourselves to our hotel and had a great experience. After 5 days of backpacking, just a simple shower can seem like the biggest luxury. The gentleman working in the breakfast area is Rafeno. He has worked at the hotel for many years and took over servicing the breakfast area a couple years ago. He is amazing and we are very lucky to have him working with us. We are very proud of him and the rest of the staff for making every effort in making all our guests feel welcome and comfortable.