“missing locks not considered reason to refund”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Durango Travelodge

Durango Travelodge
Ranked #30 of 33 Hotels in Durango
Flagstaff
“missing locks not considered reason to refund”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

Actually, the first night we had was fine and the manager and front desk folks were very helpful, even digging out a full set of towels for our rollaway-3rd-guest despite the fact that the place was full due to graduation and a soccer tournament (as was ALL of the town). But the second night it was a different story, despite the town now being all but empty. The problem was that we'd had to change rooms for night 2, and there were literally no rooms with a functioning interior lock. We explained we had been in several, even high-end, hotels and motels where people tried to get in and the only thing keeping them out was that interior hinge-type security lock, not just the card-key one on the outside. The (new) front desk person agreed that, obviously, a room lacking an interior security lock could be opened by anyone with the right card-key . She kept trying, gave us keys to 3 different rooms in vain (one card-key-lock was even completely broken) and then even checked all the other available rooms to no avail, admitting ruefully that there were no rooms that had the interior hinge-type security lock and was very gracious, saying she'd process a refund the next day when we told her we did not feel safe and would be leaving for a different hotel because by now there was vacancy all over town. But her manager said no when hotels.com called to confirm the refund. So Hotels.com is going to bat for us, AND I am disputing it with AMEX, too, so we should get a refund eventually....no thanks to Travellodge.

Room Tip: go with the Hampton Inn in Durango. It's EXCELLENT and worth it in every respect.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GMTripleHHospitality, General Manager at Durango Travelodge, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
I'm sorry to hear about your experience here at the Durango Travelodge. I have placed a maintenance request in for our maintenance dept to go through every room and check for and replace any missing security locks. Also, I would like to say I have NEVER received a call from hotels.com asking for any refund. from my understanding our front desk clerk tried to move you and you did not like any of our locks and she was not authorized to issue any refunds. I have issued back a credit to Hotels.com. I apologize for any misunderstanding and for the lock issue you experienced we are working on correcting that problem immediately. If you do decide to come back to the area and would give us a second chance PLEASE call us directly we will be happy to give you a discount on another room.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Korean first
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

When I had entered the Travelodge office last Friday I was very tired from a long drive and in tears because I just left the Budget Inn. I had booked a room there on line and it was filthy.The gentleman at the counter was so nice,He appologized for my expierience accross the street and offered me a room key to check out a room,The room spotless !I imediatley returned to the office to pay for it. I truly believe his kindness and your nice little motel saved our trip from disaster. But wait,it gets better,They are honest too! I got home only to realize I was missing my make up bag.I called the front desk and the guy at the front desk said he had it! When ever we are in Durango I will make sure to give them my buisness!

Room Tip: The property does not have an elevator so if you have small children or bad knees I reccomend the lo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at at the Travelodge here in Durango .I'm very sorry to hear about your experience at the Budget Inn.We certainly want our guests to feel as though they are not only welcome as our guests, but as family as well. I hate to hear of guest having a bad experience at other hotels or even at our hotel here in Durango. Our staff goes out of their way to make sure any items left behind are turned into the front desk and return to guest. We greatly appreciate your kind words and are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. ..Again, many thanks for your kind and generous words! Please come back and visit with us soon
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

When an employee does his job they do not deserve a mention but when someone goes above and beyond then something should be said. The desk clerk, Jeff, was exceptional in all areas. I cannot say enough about this man. Every time I came in the office if he didn't have a customer, he was cleaning! Everything was spotless. When we arrived at our room the remote was missing. Jeff was there within 2 minutes with a remote and stayed to make sure it worked. He was helpful and friendly, even letting me use the microwave to heat up my previous night restaurant dinner. He made my hotel reservations at a travelodge in Colorado Springs and gave us excellent information about the area and restaurants. Thank you, Jeff.

Room Tip: Room was large but bathroom was really tiny. Older motel but many upgrades have been done. Great f...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for taking the time to submit your comments, and share your experience at the travelodge. Yes, I can say Jeff does go above & beyond to make sure our guest are taken care of and we appreciate that ALL our staff will make sure every guest is taken care of and have a great experience.. We greatly appreciate your kind words and are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly want our guests to feel as though they are not only welcome as our guests, but as family as well. We certainly hope to see you in the near future. Again, many thanks for your kind and generous words!
Palo Alto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Exterior of this motel is a little tired, but the rooms are large, there's plenty of lighting, the bathroom light is not attached to a fan--which makes things a WHOLE lot quieter. Breakfast is provided--a very nice perk. On the whole an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

GMTripleHHospitality, General Manager at Durango Travelodge, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for your comments and review. Yes, we're an older hotel and the larger rooms are hard to find at hotels and that is a plus for us and those that choose to stay with us. We try to go above & beyond to make our guest's stay enjoyable. We're glad to hear when another customer has had a great stay. I hope we'll see you again next time you're in Durango. Thank you again for the kind review!
Longmont, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at this pet friendly hotel. The staff was very helpful and pleasant. We would stay here again. We enjoyed the mountain views. There was a wide variety of resturants in the area. Brochures on local activies ranging from skiing, horseback riding, train rides and winerys. There is a casiono close by and the mineral springs are an hour away.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple