“Wonderful historical place”

Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Durango
Germany
“Wonderful historical place”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We planned to stay here for one night during a round trip with family (including a baby) and were so taken by the wonderful western atmosphere of the place that we extended our stay by another night. For the first night we had a wonderful suite with two rooms that could easily fit the whole family. As we booked only for one night, we had to move to two rooms with kingsize beds afterwards. These rooms were quite small, but still full of lovely details and by no means less precious than the suite. Continental breakfast was nothing special, but they had an excellent coffee. Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful throughout our stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Overland Park
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We had a ball, would have loved to stayed longer just to hang around the hotel and eat in the Diamond Belle. Everyone was so nice and helpful. Convenient to all you are wanting to do.You can walk down the alley behind the hotel and reach the Train Station in no time. We could see the train as it left, from our room, train whistle did not bother us, added to the charm. Room was lovely, antique mixed with just enough modern to make us city folk feel right at home. No ghosts.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank J D
Loveland, Colorado
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Love this old hotel. Large rooms for a historic hotel w/ modern ammenities including flat tv's for the short time you would be spending in your room. Walking distance of two blocks to the train, close to turn off to Mesa Verde. Tons of great restaurant choices in walking distance. Rooms are very nice. Staff is plentiful and always willing to help!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank robin e
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed one night at the Strater, on our way home from Telluride Blues & Brews Festival. We had been camping for three nights in the freezing cold rain. We were exhausted, on the verge of sickness, and in need of some overall pampering. We stayed in Room 222, the Louis L'Amour Room. The room was beautiful, the bed was super comfy, the view of downtown was fantastic. We parked on the street, and upon check-in, were told where we could park for free, but, as it was Sunday, and we were leaving fairly early on Monday morning, we weren't too concerned. We got into our room, I took a bath to clean off three days of a muddy music festival, and went down to The Office Bar to have a little snack and a cocktail before our hot tub reservation. We indulged in the stuffed strawberries...filled with triple creme Brie, a leaf of watercress, topped with a roasted hazelnut, and the plate was drizzled with a black pepper balsamic glaze. Heavenly. My only wish is that the plate came with 20 of them instead of 4. The hot tub was magical. It's not often that you find a hot tub that is deep enough and has enough jets so that you can blast your shoulders and feet at the same time. The fact that it's by appointment only, and leaves you behind a locked door was an added bonus. After our soak, we went back to the room to order some room service. My boyfriend's drink order wasn't quite right, but easily fixed. My Gorgonzola salad was enormous for the price, and had plenty of all of the good stuff. The French Dip was a little underwhelming, but the creme brulee made up for it. After dinner, we *planned* on popping down to the bar for a night cap, but Chase is so much fun that we ended up staying for a few hours. I was drinking the Tokyo Joe...Jack Daniels Single Barrel, fresh squeezed orange juice, and house made ginger syrup. I am attributing my cold only lasting for a couple of days to this magical elixer. After we closed down the bar, we went back up to the room, and I'm fairly certain that I was awake for about 45 seconds once I hit the massive pile of pillows on the extremely comfortable bed. My only problem with our stay at The Strater was that we slept in too late for the continental breakfast...and that there were no Louis L'Amour books in his room. We will definitely be returning to The Strater the next time we're in Durango, and our next trip to Durango won't be an overnight recoup after a cold, muddy, music festival.

Room Tip: The Louis L'Amour room is worth the extra charge. The view alone makes it worth the high price.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jennykw
South Carrollton, Ky
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

What a gorgeous hotel. Outside is beautiful, inside very pretty & clean. Our king room overlooked the train as it left on its trip to Silverton. Not terribly quiet but we did sleep well on the comfy bed. Ate in the Diamond Belle Saloon, with great specialty hamburger. Fun time with entertainment while you eat. Then for the brave, try the absinthe bar called The Office. Great drink, friendly bartenders, again with entertainment. All around good time here. Plenty of shopping & restaurants just out the front door.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank WorldTravelers1218
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Arrived at STRATER HOTEL at 9pm (MTN time)~ horrible experience! When we arrived at the hotel, there was no indication as to where to park. We drove around the block, and we went down a dark alley that ran behind the hotel. We had to walk around the entire hotel to get to the front entrance. The check in agent was certainly not overly friendly. He checked us in, gave us our room stuff, and tried to tell my husband where to park~~ several blocks away from the hotel. He told us we may want to unload all valuables from our vehicle~ Well, that felt comforting!! He made a slight off assist with baggage, but it really seemed like he hoped we would not take him up on his offer. My husband pulled up to the front of the hotel to unload our stuff. I have recently been diagnosed with asthma, and my lungs have been really bothering me. So my husband had to do all the manual stuff with the baggage. In the meantime, I heard one of the hotel agents say the elevator was malfunctioning~ not stopping on third floor! I asked if we could get another room~ He said there were no other KING rooms available~ which meant we had to walk up 3 flights of stairs to get to our room. They offered to help with our luggage, if we would like. Hello??? Since we had to unload almost everything from the vehicle, we had plenty of stuff to tote. My husband would not let me carry anything since due to my lung capacity.
When we opened the door to our room, we were greeted with hot air! Now, we have a room with no A/C! My husband tries to get food from downstairs; all restaurants are closed~ no room service either~ He has to leave to go park the vehicle two blocks away and try to find food. I take my shower in the smallest shower I have ever been in~ no more than 2 feet by 3 feet~I get in the bed to watch TV, and the TV is blinking on & off! Are you kidding me?? The room cooled off some, but we were really hot during the night. I promise, if I had not been feeling so bad, and it had not been so late when we arrived, we would have demanded our money back and gone to the Holiday INN where they charged $190 a night~ just like the famous Strater Hotel~~ What a way to spend our 40th wedding anniversary!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 750travelingcouple
mthomgm, General Manager at Strater Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. First, let me say that we are very sorry that we fell short of the expectation on your visit. I am aware that the elevator had malfunctioned on a Saturday evening, as we were running back and forth dealing with the maintenance crew on it. I do agree that with Asthma it is difficult to navigate the stairs, especially at our altitudes. We apologize for any inconvenience and discomfort that this has caused you. I spoke with the front desk staff, and I am not sure where the communication broke down in them offering to carry your bags, but I assure you that is what we do every day for most guest who allow us to. We do have to offer, as many guest get offended if we just jump in and help. I think the front desk could have communicated better to you, so please again accept my apologies.
As far as parking, when the Strater was built there was no parking to even be considered so this day and time we have been challenged in meeting the demands of today’s society. We have tried our best to provide parking free of charge, and unmetered to all our guest. However, I do agree that it can be inconvenient to have to walk any distance, especially when tired from traveling. I have checked your room 310, for any further TV or AC issues, and there is none to date. We try to stay on top of that, and would have been delighted in any event that evening to come up and help iron things out or service any issue you had. I am sorry we were unaware of the issue, as we would have been happy to serve.

We do appreciate your feedback, and most of all sorry for your experience. Please check your personal email for more information regarding your stay. If I can assist you in any other way please do not hesitate to contact me.

Again, thank you for your feedback,

Michelle Thom
Yuma, Arizona
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great place to stay as you can walk just about everywhere from the hotel. We liked it so much we had dinner in the restaurant both nights we were there. It was fun to go to the "MELLERDRAMA' and I even got a little speaking role as a member of the audience. The rooms are very historic and ours had a little journal that you could write you impressions of the place. I leafed through the journal and discovered that a former governor of Colorado had stayed there earlier! Fun place.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple