“Trip back in time”
Review of Strater Hotel

Strater Hotel
Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Durango
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Excellent position in town and a great relax after hours on the slopes! Good food and very attentive staff made this a really interesting stay. The hotel itself has all the makings of the late 1800's but is clean comfortable and very welcoming - we will return!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Stater Hotel while participating in the Durango Film Festival. I felt like I walked into 1887 when I entered the lobby. The hotel is historic, authentic and charming, and well maintained. It is furnished with authentic walnut antiques (the nations largest collection) throughout, that are in good shape and something rarely seen in a hotel due to the difficulty of maintaining them. The furniture was not original to the hotel but it might as well have been.
Our room was spacious even though it was the size of an 1880's hotel room which were not particularly big. The bathroom was small but manageable and the antique bed was surprisingly comfortable (and we're pretty picky about beds).
Breakfast was complimentary and served in their more formal restaurant. It is a "Continental" style breakfast with your basic cereal, yogurt, fruit, etc. and the added Pozole soup other reviewers mentioned. While Pozole may be an odd thing for some of us to eat at breakfast, it is still pretty good and I recommend trying it.
The Saloon, while not original to the hotel, is still pretty authentic and fun. We ate a quick lunch there and it was good and priced well.
If you are going to Durango and enjoy history, check in to the Stater Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for room 222 if you are a Loius L'Amor fan and don't mind the Saloon music below.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Have stayed at the Strater twice. Love the historical aspect of the hotel, and enjoy the individually decorated rooms. Breakfast is very nice, staff is excellent. Only complaint is that the lighting in the rooms is inadequate for reading no matter where one sits.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Gorgeous room this year...prettier than the one we stayed in two years ago. So much better than the typical "vanilla" hotel or motel room. The ceiling was elaborately decorated, the furniture was lovely antiques. Nice view of the snowy hillsides too. Felt like we were special. Dining was one of the most pleasurable experiences I'd ever had. Food was delectable and just not the usual menu. The chef is creative and knows how to do it well. Breakfast buffet was better than usual as well.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor on the same side as the train station.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel itself must be well over a 100 years old. The renovation was tastefully done 1850's decor. The front desk associates provided great service and were eager to assist. The bar was decorated in period fixtures. Live music on Friday and Saturday night. The waitresses were dressed in period garb and were very attentive considering the huge crowd. They serve a local brew that has to be one of the best beers I have had anywhere.
The hotel is located in the heart of Durango on what looks like "Main St.". Could not ask for a better location. Plenty of restuarants within a 2 block walk. I had dinner at Ken & Sue's. Great service and food. Strongly recommend.
The negatives and room size (very small with sitting area) breakfast not being served except for a meager buffet offering. I hoped for table service since I was too busy with business matters to hunt for a breakfast place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I ski a lot in NM, but usually try to get to Durango at least 2 weekends a year. The Strater is ALWAYS my first call. It's like stepping into the 90's - the 1890's! Everything is just gorgeous, the rooms are all differently decorated and the Diamond Belle Saloon is really fun (live music nearly every night!). Yes, it's a 30 minute drive to the slopes, but staying in town is WAY more fun and the Strater is pretty much in the middle (all the cheap motels are NOT within walking distance of the many downtown bars and restaurants). The hottub is wonderful after a day on the slopes, and the free breakfasts are usually just what we need to get going. The only time I had trouble there was on a particularly busy weekend, and I was put into a "full" bed. Full means my legs were sticking out of the end. But the people downstairs figured out some way and suddenly I was transferred to a beautiful queen room. Other than that, absolutley NO problems! But book early cuz they are always the FIRST hotel to sell out.

Room Tip: Rooms that look out to the main street are nice but usually more expensive because they are the bigg...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is a great hotel but recently the customer service was terrible. We have a ranch just outside of Durango and stay in town when we are there. There was an error on our reservation that we inquired about and were never called back. We are quite disappointed. When the agent was unable to help us she passed me to the manager. I left a message and my husband went in to inquire and there was never a follow up on their end.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChelMatt
mthomgm, General Manager at Strater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review the property and voice your concerns. We always strive to do what we can, and realize we fall short at times and want to make it better.
In your review you said that you notified management, however I am the General Manager and never heard anything about this until you posted it on Facebook and on Tripadvisor. I immediatly sent you a reply on Facebook, and never heard back from you. Hopefully this message will reach you and I can help solve the issue. Can you give me more specifics of what the glitch in the reservation was, did we make the mistake? A third party booking engine or an oversight somewhere else? Sometimes if we can back track we can figure it out and get everyone moving in the same direction. Again, we do want to help, and hope you will reach back to me so we can solve this issue together.

We always try to go above and beyond in our service and our rooms. We receive many high alcolades and ratings reviewing our service and our product in that arena, so my apologies if in this area we fell short for you.

Regards