“Very Displeased”
Review of Strater Hotel

Strater Hotel
Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Durango
Reviewed July 26, 2011

The facility was lovely, both the public areas and our rooms. The staff was friendly. However, the pillows and towels were crap, lumpy and frayed, and the breakfast was lame. The toiletries were not replaced the second day. A broken hanger remained on the desk. The door to the back parking lot was locked at 5:50 PM. (The free parking was appreciated.) Our complaint about the pillows was in vain.

5  Thank Gregory B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,119)

Reviewed July 20, 2011

This was a return visit for us. We had stayed at the Strater 18 years ago and had fond recollection of it. This visit we had a fantastic room on 4th floor with great view of train coming and going, loved it! Beautifully decorated, queen and twin beds in room with lovely old furniture, nice bathroom with tub, not a mini bar but basket replenished with chocolates, snacks. Ordered room service and had a great cheese and fruit platter we enjoyed. Fantastic breakfast each morning. Beautiful lobby and bar. Conveniently located.

Room Tip: ask for room with view of train, you will hear it anyway
1  Thank tessabear2010
Reviewed July 10, 2011

recognize the historical value and the desire to maintain it, but come on- for $200 dollars a night I expect a little more than a 20 inch box tv, trickling water pressure when showering, no bell-hop, no complimentary items (we forgot a toothbrush, and paid the hotel $.75 for a replacement. Desk clerk was rude when we checked out. It smelled musty and the decor was UGLY. I think you can maintain the historical value while creating and aesthetically pleasing enviroment. I can only speak for our room, maybe the some others were cozier. Anyway, go stay at the doubletree, which is next to the river, probably has great water pressure, and looks beautiful.

4  Thank liberace74
mthomgm, General Manager at Strater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2011

Dear Reviewer,

I am sorry to hear that you think we are over rated. While we try to please everyone, we realize at times we fall short, as does everyone. I would be happy to credit you back for your toothbrush, if you call the front desk of the hotel and ask for the General Manager's assistant, we would be happy to take care of it for you.
On another note. The water pressure is something that constantly fluctuates all over the city, not just at the Strater Hotel. As the City changes its pressure, it does affect us. We apologize for the inconvenience and will share this with the City management as well.
The decor is victorian in nature, and true to what the history books tell us, but we realize it is not for everyone. We are in the process of upgrading all our rooms to flat screen tv's, my apologies that you received a room that did not have that amenity upgraded as of yet.
We do hope you will come back to visit, and give us another try. However, if you choose to stay somewhere that is more modern, and to your taste, then I hope you will come give one our award winning restaurants a try.
Regards
The General Manager

Reviewed July 5, 2011

My wife and I started our Colorado/Utah vacation at the Strater. After reading the reviews we were a bit disappointed in the hotel. Perhaps Victorian style is not our thing. The room was small compared to other hotels we stayed at during out 10 days in Colorado and Utah. In addition, at $183 a night, it was the most expensive hotel. Breakfast was very good, and the location is excellent, in the center of town.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer
First I want to thank you for your stay with us, and know that you had a choice. I wanted to take a minute to address your concern over the size of the room. Being a Victorian Historic Hotel, there were many things that were not taken into consideration when the hotel was originally built in 1887. One of those things was the room size. During that period of history there was no plumbing, and the rooms only consisted of a room big enough for a bed and a small wash basin. The hotel over the years has taken several of the small rooms and made them into one in order to fit in with todays groing demand for large spacious areas. This has to be done with keeping in mind the historic value and preservation. The hotel over the years has also gone through and put in bathrooms, so that each room has its own privacy and facility.
We hope that inspite of the size of the room, that you enjoyed your stay, that you were comfortable and experienced great service. We also hope that rest of your trip was eventful and relaxing.
Thank you for choosing us, and hope to see you again in the future.

Regards
The Management

Reviewed July 1, 2011

We spent one night at the Strater on a family road trip. Since it happened to coincide with my husband's birthday, I splurged on a top-floor room overlooking Main Street. The room was large, comfortable, quiet, and furnished with the most beautiful antiques. What a lovely hotel! The common areas are beautiful, including the room where the breakfast is served. Breakfast is extensive, by the way. The staff is very friendly. We went to the melodrama down the street (affiliated with the Strater) and it ended up being our favorite family experience of the whole trip. All of us want to return to Durango next summer, and stay longer.

1  Thank myfamilystravelagent
Reviewed June 23, 2011

12 of us stayed in 5 different rooms in June 2011 for a family vacation. Rooms were decorated all different and unique. Bathrooms were clean & rooms were too, except housekieeping doesn't sweep under desk, end tables and you could see the dust on the carpet. Some of the rooms carpet was worn, time to update. Staff was friendly, breakfast very good. Great character as a hotel. Not sure why Fodor's gave it a golden award, for
the cleanliness isn't up to par a a 5 star hotel. Nor the worn carpets. I would stay again though. Ate at the Diamond Belle Saloon, very good meals had by all of us. It's Historical, so keep that in mind.

Room Tip: Premium was much roomer than the deluxe
2  Thank danaj313
Reviewed June 18, 2011

We just returned from a 2-night stay at the Strater and I must say that it was a highlight of our 10-day trip to Arizona and Colorado. I usually keep to more moderately-priced hotels but felt that this hotel might be worth the extra expense, and I believe it was.
Since I'm speaking of the cost I should also point out that parking is free and right across the street - probably not remarkable for Durango but after spending over $25 for each night in Denver this was a welcome relief. In addition the included breakfast is quite good - not great - and helps justify the cost.
Anyway... we had a large room on the 3rd floor and my wife, daughter and I all loved it. There were chocolates out on one of the beds to greet us - a very nice touch - and a room guest book that was fun to look at (unfortunately a couple entries spoke of spirits in the room, scaring my daughter and causing her to sleep with my wife - not the Strater's fault).
Durango is small and the Strater is pretty much dead center - you can walk to everything including the train station. The trains blow whistles coming and going, charming for a while but when I kept hearing them around 9:30 in the evening I got a bit worried - I believe that was the last of the night, however.
There is tea available all day in the lobby but for some reason not coffee - maybe my 1 small complaint.
The breakfast staff and room (actually one of their restaurants) were excellent - the selection maybe not. The first morning I believe the only warm breakfast item was scrambled eggs, not especially enticing. I asked the server what the syrup was doing out and he told me that sometimes they have pancakes or french toast - the 'sometimes' should be 'always'. We toasted our own bagels, had some cereal and bananas, and got enough. The next day the French Toast was out.
Wish I'd tried the corner 'saloon' - in the evening there was some excellent entertainment going on - but my daughter understandably is not comfortable in bars.
Anyway we loved the Strater and would return there with no hesitation.

1  Thank DaJoos