“A mixed bag”

GreenLeadersGold level
Asheville, North Carolina
“A mixed bag”
Reviewed January 7, 2008

I was somewhat disappointed by the Durango Doubletree. They were going through renovations while we were there, and our experience was entirely unremarkable. I expected more, and maybe it was just my higher expectations that weren't realized.

I am a Hilton Hhonors Diamond member, so booked the most economical room I could find and relied on an upgrade to nicer accomodations when we got there. The desk clerk acknowledged my status, said we had been upgraded from city view to river view and gave us the key. Off to the room we went.

We were in the basement, directly across from the laundry room and adjacent to the ice machine. We did have river view, but I felt like we were in the dungeon. As we were only staying for one night I did not complain or ask for a change.

The room was very nice, however, and the Doubletree bed was as comfortable as always. In the morning we went to use the hot tub, but the temperature was a scalding 130 degrees! We informed the front desk and they thanked us - and closed the pool and hot tub area until their maintenance man got there.

When we checked in we were given a coupon for a free muffin and coffee for breakfast in the restaurant, or half price on a breakfast entree. We went intending to get a muffin, ended up with omelets and are glad we did. They came out hot and huge, and as a result we made this a two meal day instead of three.

I could have gotten a room for significantly less at the Hampton Inn in Durango but chose the Doubletree for both the riverfront location and higher class amenities (mmmm, cookies!). Next time we pass through I might be more inclined to stay at the Hampton, if it is just for a night. Either that, or ask to be moved out of the basement.

• Stayed November 2007
2 Thank CaptainPlanIt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 16, 2007

Stayed at this hotel for one night last week, and I thought it was great. My room (#446) faced the stream behind the hotel, and it was really relaxing (which I needed after a long day of driving).

Positive points about this hotel: great location (across the street from historic downtown Durango), comfortable beds, nice decor, good shower, free internet (I wish more hotels did this), and very friendly front desk staff. When I made my reservation I booked a city view room to save some money, but when I checked in I asked for a room facing the stream, and was given one without any problems (and no higher rate). Also you can't beat the famous Doubletree chocolate chip cookies (yum!).

Overall I would definitely stay at this hotel again! And if you have a chance to go when the leaves are changing (now), do it. Durango was beautiful, and because it rained the morning I left, I was treated to a beautiful rainbow on my drive back to New Mexico.

• Liked — View of stream from room and location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank TrvlDva
Voorburg
Reviewed October 14, 2007

Stayed one night in a king room facing the river. The hotel exterior and lobby have a chic western look about it. The room was also chic, it was spacious and quiet and had all the amenities. The bed especially was very good. The Neutrogena toiletries were appreciated. The location is walking distance of the historical center of Durango, which has great atmosphere.
The hotel met all our expectations of a Hilton Brand, and we would certainly stay here again.

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank AntoniaV
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 4, 2007

What a great place to stay for business!

Free internet (ethernet and wifi), free business center with free printing (and you can send print jobs to the front desk from the comfort of your room!), and great desk work space.

The staff are all incredibly friendly -- they tend to greet you by name. They offer you a cookie upon arrival, which is never a bad thing.

It is a block away from the historic downtown area, and so extremely close to great food and shopping, and you can look out your window onto the river (with a riverside room) or over the "city" to the mountains (with a city view room).

Room was clean and comfortable. Neutrogena products in the bathroom -- What a great idea, to provide face moisturizer and cleanser in the room, the one thing that is always too large to pack carry on.

I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank cs79
Dillon, CO
Reviewed September 26, 2007

At $225.00/night, this is a perfect example of taking advantage of the supply and demand issues in Durango. Although this is a nice hotel, consider staying at the Historic Strater Hotel with more character, comfortable rooms and less $$. The rooms at the Double Tree are not worth the money they're charging.

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank world_travel_review
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed August 26, 2007

Over the 4th of July holiday, my family of four, my sister, and our two dogs, stayed at the Doubletree in Durango. I made the reservation for two connecting rooms, river side of the hotel. When we arrived at the hotel, we were told that we wouldn't be able to get connecting rooms until the following day. Choosing not to move rooms in 24 hours, we went to our rooms, a short distance from each other, disappointed that we couldn't share the space! We were very pleased, however, with the views of the river from our 2nd story balconies.

The hotel decor is somewhat outdated but heck, you're in the country! Lots of oak panelling, dark green, mauve colors. Front desk staff seemed proficient, a little robotic, helpful, but not warm. Same with housekeeping. Room decor was very average; nothing memorable. There was a big smudge of dirt on the one of the curtains...kinda gross. Pillows were amazing! And lots of 'em, too! No one in the family had a problem with the beds.

The restaurant experience was interesting. In the actual restaurant, the wait staff was quite bad. They seem so unhappy! But the manager is very friendly! There is so much more better food in town; so use the restaurant just for convenience. The patio bar, however, had excellent service and was a fun place to hang out. Good music played there, while we watched the bicylcists ride by on the riverwalk.

For 4th of July, we found out where the fireworks were going to be set off...right across the river, from the hotel. Its like we had front row seats! We were so excited that we would be able to sit on our balconies to watch the fireworks! But alas, there were a couple big trees in the way, so we joined the masses and layed on the grass, next to the river, to watch the display right above our heads. It was a long and beautiful fireworks display! (If you want to watch the display from your hotel balcony, get a river side room in the middle or north section of the hotel.)

For the dogs, the front desk clerk gave us doggie biscuits upon check in (and cookies for the humans!). Because of the location, there were miles of River Walk to take the dogs for exercise, etc. The only problem we encountered was when the dog barked at the housekeeper, she wouldn't clean the room, even though he was in a crate. I guess I understand, though.

What we loved best about the hotel, was its location. Its right where the 550 and 160 meet (convenient to Mesa Verde, ski resort, etc) Walk two blocks and you are in the thick of downtown Durango with all the great shops and restaurants. And again, you are right on the river. Watch the rafters and tubers go by during the summer, marvel at the chilly beauty of the river surrounded by snow...Walk, run, ride alongside.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — restaurant staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank PamelaDahhling
San Diego
Reviewed August 6, 2007

What a great location in a beautiful town. We only stayed at the Doubletree one night, but because the room was so good, and the setting for the hotel so nice, we seriously considered extending our stay here. The rooms are spacious and clean, the beds very comfortable, and the bathrooms large...somehow we ended up with the ADA room, so maybe the bathroom was even bigger than normal. The room was large enough to also have a desk (with free internet...a nice plus at any Hilton) and two sitting chairs with table. Our second floor room also had a balcony, with a very nice view of the Animas River. If you are going to stay here definitely try and get a room on the river side, either second or third floor. It's worth the extra charge.

The hotel also has a nice indoor pool and spa, a fitness center with about five machines, a bar/lounge, and a restaurant. There is also an outdoor eating area along the river (open Tues thru Sat). It's a very nice spot to sit with a drink and just watch the river and the many rafters float by. And of course, the D-tree gives out those delicious cookies upon check-in (but maybe those are only for HH club members?).

The hotel is about two blocks from downtown Durango and the railway station. We also considered staying at the General Palmer, which looks like a nice place. The Palmer is right in downtown, bit since the D-tree was only two blocks out, and right on the river, we opted for the more serene setting...and glad we did. Albertsons store is a short walk away, in case you might want to pick up some snack foods, or libations to sip on your deck. There is also a river walk close by...but I'm not sure how far the walk goes.

This place is great. When we return to Durango, this is where we will stay.

• Liked — Beautiful setting, close to town
  • Disliked — There is nothing that I would change.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family