“A Great Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Durango
San Diego, California
“A Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel in Durango. The room was very clean, spacious, and warm. I personally loved their pillows. I usually have a hard time sleeping in hotel beds, but I slept great at this place. They have a nice big breakfast as well. The staff was also very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
QualityM1, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn Durango, responded to this review, December 27, 2011
We are so glad to hear your husband and you enjoyed your stay with us. We here at the Quality Inn try to do are best at all times to make the stay for our rest enjoyable. We hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

Two thumps up for this hotel. Great location, breakfast is very tasty. Nice flat screen tv.

• Stayed October 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
QualityM1, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn Durango, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write us a Trip Advisor review! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We take great pride in our custumer service and our probperty. We have just upgraded EVERY room by installing flat screen TV's so we are so glad you noticed and enjoyed that! We hope to see you again soon! Best wishes!
Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

The staff is very friendly and helpful (especially Jennifer), the room was cozy and clean. I do agree that the pillows are non-functional and you do hear traffic noise most if the night, but for the price it was all in all great.

Room Tip: rooms in the back may be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind words. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was so helpful! Although our pillows are smaller (due to brand standards) we certainly could have brought you a bigger pillow as well. Never hesitate to ask our staff to help accommodate you! We're sorry that you heard traffic all night long, depending on the time of year Durango can be very busy. Thank you again for your feedback, we hope you stay with us again soon!
Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

I stayed here despite the lukewarm reviews because I had trouble finding anything else even remotely affordable and/or available. Why is Durango so expensive? And so booked-up most of the time? I had found one place for $160 and then went back a few hours later to book it and it had disappeared, with only a $229 rate for that hotel. I wouldn't have minded a place around $150 but I couldn't find anything under 200 so I ended up at Quality Inn for 99.

My main complaint was that it's an old-style motel with rooms very close to the street, and traffic noise all night long (the desk clerk told me it would quiet down about 8 p.m. but that wasn't true).

Also the room was tiny and very dated. The weird pillows have been mentioned by other reviewers (5 throw-pillow size instead of 2 regular or king size pillows) - what's that about?

The security latch on the door was made of plastic and broke when I tried to use it. And the room opens directly onto the parking lot.

Breakfast is served upstairs and there is no elevator, in case (like me) you don't like climbing stairs. And obviously if they give you an upstairs room, you'd better not be handicapped. I missed breakfast anyhow since they only serve till 9 a.m. and I'm a late riser. I doubt if I missed anything good.

The only good comments I have are that the desk staff were very nice and the room was very clean and the shower worked well.

Room Tip: Try to get as far from the street as possible.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for writing a Trip Advisor review, any feedback helps us improve! We here at the Quality Inn try and price our product to fit our market and I apology the rate received was high for you. Although we can't change the brand standards of our pillows, we certainly can accommodate you with bigger pillow that we keep at the front desk. Some people like having their doors open directly to the outside, in this case our parking lot, making it easier for them to retrieve things and make them feel more secure about their cars. We're sorry this made the hotel feel dated. Breakfast being upstairs can be a problem for some people, and unfortunately this is something we cannot change about our property, we are currently working on a solution. We are glad the desk staff was so friendly and the room was very clean, we take pride in our customer service. Thank you again for letting us know how we can improve!
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

This would be one star if it were not for front desk clerk Jennifer, who tried hard to overcome the many shortcomings and snafus regarding our stay here. Unfortunately, her professionalism and friendliness was unable make up for the multitude of problems that largely boil down to fatal cheapness on the part of the owners. And, mind you, these rooms are fairly expensive--so very poor value for money--even with the modest discount offered by Jennifer in the wake of the problems.

First off, one of the reading lamps mounted on the wall over the bed was not working--an issue since one of us goes to bed earlier than the other. Jennifer came and discovered that it was unplugged behind the headboard (invisible without moving the bed), and she commented that housekeeping was supposed to check these things.

Next, the pillows consist of little overstuffed squares--one half the width of normal bed pillows and non-functional. Fortunately, we brought our own pillows. Must have been a close-out special on non-funitional half-size pillows....who cares if you can't really sleep on them! This resulted in some irony when we read the laminated religious message on one of the non-functional pillows about how badly the owners wanted us to feel welcome as travelers and blessed by God.

Next, I went to take a shower and the shower knob was completely detached from the fixture that would allow for temperature control. I managed a thin grip on the underlying pipe and tweaked it until I got adequate hot water, knowing I would not be able to succeed a second time and knowing that my husband would not fare any better. So, after my shower, without daring to turn it off, I got my husband in to take his since who knew how long it would be before we actually got another one (we planned on staying two nights). While he was taking his shower, I called Jennifer--who ultimately came over, apologized profusely, expressed frustration with housekeeping again, offered a ten dollar discount per night, provided a goody bag with treats and popcorn, and promised to either have it fixed in the morning or provide us with a new room--in which case we'd get a further discount for having to move. When we got back later that night, we stopped in at the front desk to ask Jennifer if the shower knob was fixed and she said that she was told it was fixed but that the knob was backward such that hot was cold and cold was hot. No further discounts for this, but at least the shower was operational.

While the lighting in the main part of the room is decent, the lighting in the bathing and dressing areas is suicidally institutional and completely inadequate to make a person feel like they are at home. Those blue-green ultra-harsh flourescents must have been on sale. Who cares if no one feels comfortable under those lights--let alone having to look at one's image in the mirror under those circumstances.

Then, alas, is the wi-fi problem. It is slow at best and sometimes does not work at all. No one at the front desk had an answer for this. I asked Jennifer if it's possible that the owner was being cheap and not purchasing enough bandwidth. She jotted down the concern and said she'd bring it up to the manager.

Finally, there is the problem of the air conditioner being behind a wall in the bathroom area, preventing the cold air from efficiently reaching the sleeping area. Wanting to remedy this problem by opening a window to the chillier night, I found that the window I wished to open has no mechanism to STAY open. The other window, further from my body, did manage to stay open.

The only good news is that the rooms are clean. That is simply not enough to justify a $117 per night stay. I will absolutely NOT return and will warn others not to waste their money. I hope management reads this and makes an effort to make people feel welcome by actually putting effort into fixing things and paying for reasonable upgrades rather than by invoking the deity and a prayer on a piece of paper propped up on a non-functional pillow. In other words, walk the walk.

Room Tip: If you come at all, make sure everything works before you commit to a room. Do not count on wi-fi.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
QualityM1, Manager at Quality Inn Durango, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Dear Julie Moss Lewis,
In response to your letter on Trip Advisor, I certainly agree that the inconvenience you experienced at our hotel does not represent the level of service we strive to provide.
I am truly sorry that when you arrived your shower was not in proper working condition. Please accept my sincere apology for this oversight in maintenance. I know that your shower did get fixed the next day but the hot & cold temperature was backwards. Our head maintenance engineer was out of town so he was not able to make that change when you were here, but he has fixed that issue since.
There are so many items you have brought up in you review I am not sure how to address all of them but I will do my best to walk the walk.
As a franchise hotel the Quality Inn has certain standards that we do not have a choice on. I think we both can agree that pillows are a personal choice and although you felt the pillows were cheap I can assure you they are not. The wholesale price is $6 per pillow retail they would be at least double. We have many customers that love them and some that don’t we are in the process of providing more of a selection at the office to maybe remedy any pillow issues. I am glad you were able to bring your own pillow so you could sleep well.
The Quality Inn staff & owners do care about the light and also realize and agree with you the importance of lighting. Please forgive my ignorance on energy saving lights I know some do not put out enough elimination but it has not been brought to my attention that the lighting in our rooms is inadequate until your statement. I will do more work on this issue & let you know how we fixed this issue.
Our internet is 12 megabytes upgraded May of this year at the time it was the most bandwidth I could buy for this area. I did call Optimum to see if I could upgrade even further since they just merged with Bresnan and I have been informed that they now may be able to increase my service to 18 megabytes. Optimum currently is not able to do this but in the near future I will be able to upgrading that as well, thanks to your comment. We do pay for a service that provides 24 hour help to assist you if you do have problems accessing the internet.
The air-conditioned placement works great for some people because they don’t prefer the direct air right on them. I do apologies that the air was not as efficient for you in your room.
I can assure you we here at the Quality Inn take great pride in our work, service & strive to make all our guests as comfortable & at home as possible. We appreciate all comments, although at times they are tough we use them to better or service, staff, and future upgrades in the hotel.
Durango, Colorado is a tourist area and I can assure you we do price our product for the market we are in. I know that Durango Colorado as a whole can be pricey from May to September there are ways to reduce rates by booking numerous weeks in advance you can save at least 20%.
If there is anything else that we can do for you please do not hesitate to call me directly at the hotel 970.259.5373 or email me if that works better for you.
Kindest Regards,
Mary Hert / G.M.
Durango Quality Inn
Beaverton, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

We booked this hotel using the reviews thru trip advisor. What a disappointment. The place is a dump! We should have turned around and left when we arrived at the door of our room to find diry corn pads for feet and broken finger/toe nails all over the enrty mat. The bathroom was also a disaster. The tiles on the floor were broken and sticking up causing a hazard to barefeet. Then in the morning when we went to use the shower the tub did not drain well so we were up to our shins in water while taking a shower. Carpets dirty. Didn't feel comfortable without shoes. Also vey seedy apartments surrounding area. Couldn't wait to get out of there!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kathy E
QualityM1, General Manager at Quality Inn Durango, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Wow! That hurts, the staff & I take pride in our work and property & I'm sorry your stay was not what you wanted. In the future please let the hotel know when you check in if you’re not happy. Our policy at the Quality Inn is, if you’re not happy neither are we & we would be happy to find another hotel that works for you. Regarding your stay, I did not find broken tile in the bathroom, what I did see was grout between a few of the tiles coming lose and it is corrected "sorry toes". The other maintenance issues have also been taken care of as well. I did try to reach you in an email and phone, but there has been no response from you, please contacts me directly if there is something more we can do for you.
San Marcos, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

The Quality Inn In Durango has some of the best customer service I've ever experienced from a motel. By accident, I left a battery charger and battery at the motel and didn't realize it until 2 days later when already back in Texas. To make a long story short, I called them, they found both items, and mailed them to me Priority Mail at their own expense. Also while at the motel, I asked to move from the first floor room to a quieter room on the second floor. Again, this was no problem. They cheerfully accommodated the request. They are obviously out to serve and please their customers whenever possible. Many thanks to Jackie, Marilyn and Matt for their can do spirit.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
QualityM1, Manager at Quality Inn Durango, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
Thank you so much for your review & encouraging words.. I am glad that during your stay you were well taken care of. We pride ourselves on customer service & it is our wish that everyone staying at the Durango Quality Inn would have to same experience. I will pass on your compliments to everyone & we are glad your camera battery arrived safely. Safe travels to you!