“Good location, nice rooms and amenities, great staff”

Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Durango
Ohio
“Good location, nice rooms and amenities, great staff”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This was a great hotel stay. The location was one block off the busy area, and was quiet, but allowed easy walking to anywhere in town including train. Rooms were very clean; updated beds and triple sheet bedding were so comfortable, and blackout curtains were nice. Room had a fridge, microwave, and safe, and the indoor pool and hot tub area was pretty and easily accessed. Balconies with two chairs and a table were a pleasant surprise. I wouldn't pay extra for the in room jacuzzi; the jets were aimed all wrong and the hotel hot tub was much better. Our bathroom was a bit small, but not a problem. Breakfast was well organized and restocked, provided a nice assortment, and the hotel package we booked also included happy hour with two complimentary drinks per person per day from 5:30 to 7:30. Every staff member we talked to was very friendly and accommodating. I would highly recommend a stay here to friends, family, or TA viewers.

Room Tip: The pool and hot tub close at 9:00 pm so it wasn't noisy around this atrium area, but I liked ha...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
gmcha, General Manager at Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you so much for the great review. We are so happy that you enjoyed our hotel and all the amenities that we have to offer. The inside king bedded rooms are great, close to the breakfast, cocktails and the pool area. It can get a little noisy with kids in the pool but we do close it at 9pm and don't reopen it until 9am. Durango has a lot of fun things to do in the summer months. We are so glad that you chose to stay with us! Enjoy your summer.

Mary Kay Dobson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Niwot, Colorado
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I grew up in Durango, but moved away years ago. My family and I return to Durango to visit family about 3 times a year. Over the years, we have stayed just about every decent place in town (believe me, that makes for a lot of testing...) A few years ago, we stayed at the BW Rio Grande for the first time, and now we never stay anywhere else. It is definitely our home away from home in Durango! Durango isn't a cheap place to visit, as I'm sure you've discovered by now if you're shopping for a hotel. Trust me, I get it!! However, the BW Rio Grande delivers a lot of value-added services that help make me feel a lot better about the nightly rate. Their breakfast is first rate, with fresh scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, fresh juices and cereals, and you can even make your own waffles. Every night there is an open bar next to the pool where adults can get two free drinks. Believe me, at the end of a busy day in Durango, that happy hour is a huge plus for me! The kids enjoy the pool and I enjoy a drink, while still keeping a close eye on them. Everyone wins! This stay, we tried something new. We upgraded to the King Suite. LOVED IT!! So much space to spread out, the bathroom area was huge, there was a comfortable sitting area, and even an outside patio. Even with a roll-away bed for my youngest and the sofa bed open for my oldest, we had ample space. I would definitely recommend this upgrade for families of more than 3. Worth every penny!! One of the best things about the BW Rio Grande is it's downtown location. You can easily walk to the downtown Durango shops, restaurants, bars, etc. Downtown Durango is one of the sights people come to Durango for, so having it an easy walk away just makes sense. Give this place a try!

Room Tip: Try the King Suite if you are traveling with more than 3 people. So much more comfortable!!
1 Thank Marie P
gmcha, General Manager at Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you so much for the terrific review!!! We do have a lot to offer above and beyond the hotel room. You get a nice breakfast, free drinks, an indoor pool and hot tub, free Wi-Fi, a refrigerator, microwave and a 42" flat screen tv. We love having your family stay with us and are so thrilled to read this review. Thank you for all your business and your support. You are like family to us as well. That is the way we feel about our guests. We hope to see you again in the fall. I am very happy that you enjoyed the suite.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

This motel is convenient to downtown Durango, the train station, shopping, and many resturants, all within walking distance. The hotel staff are friendly, helpful answering questions and provided excellent customer service. The room and bed were comfortable and we enjoyed the balcony with the view of the Animas River. Would definitely recommend this motel in Durango.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

SW Florida
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This was nights 11 and 12 of a 20 day road trip. We chose the hotel because it was right next to the Durango and Silverton train station. The property was clean, jammed in tight among other buildings, the room was nice. We reserved one month in advance directly to the motel via phone and requested the ground floor. The AAA discount was applied and we were assigned to room 219 on the second floor. The front desk support was excellent and Keith directed us to two great restaurants and gave us coupons for free beverages. The parking was free and we walked one block to the train station. Thursday charge was $128.57 and Friday $148.35. Both breakfasts were good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
gmcha, General Manager at Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. I appreciate the acknowledgement of Keith. He is a great caring employee along with all the members of my staff. I am very blessed. I am glad that you enjoyed the location and the amenities that the hotel has to offer. We love having AAA guests stay with us. We really appreciate their support and they keep us on our toes!! I can't say enough about how much the positive feedback means to all of us here. We really strive to have a great product and offer great service.

We all hope that you had a great road trip and that you enjoyed Durango.

Niwot, Colorado
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We are repeat guests at the Best Western Rio Grande. I grew up in Durango, so we come back to visit family several times a year. We have stayed all over town over the years, and finally found our home-away-from-home at the Rio Grande. The service is always excellent and management always treats us right when it comes to the price. Durango is an expensive place to visit, no lie, but they throw in lots of value-added services to make you feel better. Excellent breakfast is provided, and we always enjoy the cocktail hour by the pool in the evening. Something for everyone! The Rio Grande is walking distance to all downtown Durango has to offer, and is a great jumping off spot for all your Durango activities. Book confidently!!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Camarillo, California
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I spent one night in Durango Colorado for work and arrived at the Durango Best Western feeling beat up by the 5 hour drive to get there. The front desk was quick and helpful when I asked about dinner places. The room was clean the bed was nice and the room had a view of the mountain. They could use an update as everything was pretty old in there but overall a good place to crash.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the kind review. We do have a great product and we appreciate that you took the time to fill out to write this review. We have location, clean rooms, and offer a great breakfast and free cocktails. The staff is also very efficient and caring. We are in the process of upgrading the rooms. We have replaced most of the beds, and about a third of the room carpet. We have also redone about a third of the bathrooms. We are planning other improvements in the fall once it slows down a bit.

We all hope that you had a great time in Durango and again, we appreciate the kind words.

Highland, Utah
Reviewed July 6, 2013

This hotel reminds me of the type of hotel that I stayed in as a kid in the 1970s. In fact, I would have been excited to stay at a hotel this nice back then. The layout with exterior corridors, open stairs, and the indoor atrium pool surrounded by rooms all remind me of this time. The dark brick, tiny lobby, and chlorine smell do as well. I thought it was fun, but it won't please everyone, Hotel design has changed a lot over the past 40 years.

The layout is obviously here to stay, but there are a few areas where the hotel could really improve. The beds and pillows are okay, but they could be better. The furnishings and decor are due for an upgrade. We stayed in one of the double queen suites. The bedroom didn't have a single picture or decoration. Just stark white walls. That reminded me of Motel 6. For $300 a night, the hotel should do better. The living room featured inexpensive furnishings that weren't overly comfortable but, unlike the bedroom, some attempt had been made to make it attractive.

The air conditioning units in both the bedroom and living room need replacing. The one in the bedroom blows right across the beds, and the one in the living room blows right across the couch. The vents don't adjust enough to send the air flow up or down so that you can be comfortable either sitting on the couch or in bed. In addition, even the lowest fan speed is too high and makes quite a roar. The air conditioning is a key reason for my low score. It really affected the enjoyment of our stay.

The unusual drapes on the window panels are another item that needs to be upgraded. They allow in very little outside light even when "open". You have to see them to understand, but they don't open very far. This is maybe okay for the atrium rooms to provide more privacy, but outside light is highly desired in an exerior facing room like the suites.

Finally, the rates charged should be enough to cover the cost of individual yogurt cartons at breakfast. Having a big communal bowl of yogurt for guests to dip into is just not appealing. This hotel has much higher rates than a typical Best Western. I think it should deliver a higher level of service as well.

On a brighter note, the staff is friendly, and the location is fantastic. It's an easy walk to the train depot and all over Durango's lively downtown. The hotel is also very clean. There are some positives here, but I can't recommend this hotel. Some of the other reviews are a bit too glowing based on my experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
gmcha, General Manager at Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
I again apologize that you were disappointed in your stay. We did replace all the case goods in the rooms 2 years ago as well as adding new TV's and upgraded linen. I am sorry that you were disappointed in the owner's choices. I will address the a/c problem that you had. We will see if we can redirect the vents. Most of the units have some flexibility as to the direction of the air but I am not sure why there was a challenge with the 2 in your room. I am happy that you enjoyed the staff and the location. We all hope that you had fun in Durango and that you enjoy the rest of your summer.